I have serious problems with MX CARD!!

G

WHAT HAVE I DONE??!!??!!??!! I think ruined MY Gainward CradExpert GeForce2 MX 32Mb 5.5ns Twin View Golden Sample card!!! I used JB Weld epoxy (there was one guy in THIS community that said it was very good for slapping heatsinks on) to put 4 heatsinks on 4 chips of memory and my step-father is a jewelrer and set it very nicely on the chip (I mean the epoxy), one chip is surrounded by other little thingies so I put a very small heatsink on it, other - bigger ones(still small), they are not even as big as the ones that are on 3D Prophet III's. I let it dry for 15 hours and then turned the pc on - it works very good! I also have a heatsink and a fan on the GPU (came with it), so everything runs very cool! I can overclock to 235/225 and see NO GLITCHES(in 3dmark2001) (I did before I put heatsinks on) in 3dmark2001, just nada. I use the latest Guru3d tweaker (www.guru3d.com) and 12.90 drivers, DirectX8.0a and Windows ME. Almost all games run fine, EXCPET for Anachronox and RealMyst, Anachronox has many different glitches, MANY ARTIFACTS and the same with RealMyst, but artifacts appear ONLY in certain places, but there are several of those places and sometimes MANY! (like in Anachronox - FATIMA's hologram is all over with traingles!! and RealMyst's sea/ocean has the same kind of traingles!) My A7V mobo is flashed to 1008 version. I tried everything! changed all settings that are possible to change, tried 10.80 and 21.41 WHQL drivers! SAME RESULT - artifatcs, I EVEN DOWNCLOCKED MY MX CARD TO 100Mhz core and 100Mhz memory! I understand those are just games, but that's how you test your card, right? I know that I was messing with my PC a LONG time and tried different stuff, different drivers and blah-blah... I also get a lot of WSOCK32.DLL errors (all the time acctually) and KERNEL32.DLL errors, I use IE 5.5, and I surely tried ScanDisk - it said NO ERRORS FOUND! I read all FAQ's and done everything to prevent those artifatcs - NO HELP! This is a very SERIUOS problem...only people from this place can help. I didn't have Anachronox before I put heatsinks, so I don't know if it would have those kinds of artifacts, but I did played RealMyst and it didn't have those kind of things at all. My friend has an EXACTLY same videocard and has no glitches on his system (he didn't put heatsinks). What could all that? I know that NO DROP came from the memory chip, very neat work, heatsink doesn't touch anything besides the memory chip, so if the card works fine with 3dmark2001 - then it's not the card? Some people say - JB Weld probobly keeps the heat inside, if it did then I'd get artifatcs EVERYWHERE. I can't think about anything else to say but HELP ME, PLEASE! Moral help would help also, but the answer to artifatcs would just make me so happy! I will try to do the last thing - foramt(should I use certified 12.41 drivers WHQL when I format for the most stable and unglitchable performance??), but it will be done in a week or so (got my CD-RW, have to download all patches I need, tweaks etc. and write on the CD-R)
My system specs are
800Mhz tbird
448Mb of pc133@CAS2.5
A7V motherborad flashed from version 1004 to 1008(4.32 drivers)
Sound Blaster Live! Value
GeForce2 MX
30 gigs HDD

Thank, you for any help (I was saying I never problems with my system ,well, I'm taking my words cuz now I have all possible problems you can think about!!!)

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I had a little difficulty following your description of your problems. However, if you are talking about Geforce Tweak from Guru3d.com and you are having severe rendering problems in OpenGL only, then I think I know what the problem is. To fix it run Geforce Tweak again and click on the OpenGL tab. Look for the option to force 16-bit Z-buffer and uncheck it. That's all. Give it a try. Remember to do this each time you choose to use the "fast settings". It's not necessary if you use the "quality settings".

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

G

Thanks, but I I changes all those settings and I alway put highest quality settings, I read all about them and it was unchecked, I tried 6.50 drivers - no more glitches, kinda strange, 12.41 have problems???

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I thought that was the problem. Glad you got it fixed.

I found 12.41 to be very stable but a tad slow. I'm using 14.40, now. Not official but fast. (I need every bit of performance for my Geforce256). Still waiting for the 20.80 drivers and still hoping to put off buying a new video card just a little longer.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Sounds like the heat sinks on the memory is causing interference problems with the memory. As in added capacitance. Can you increase the voltage to your video card? Actually it is the 5 volt line from your power supply that supplies the voltage to your memory on your video card. What is your 5v voltage?

G

Hi there,
I tried the 12.41's and they suck basically. I run the 12.90's, they seem to work good for me with a nice overclocking tweak in it as well.

Medication helps :smile:
<font color=blue>THG needs 2 change the sig' of the week errrr century!</font color=blue>

G

noko,man, help me out! I found that 6.50 don't change anything!!! Heatsinks don't cause it, it is the AGP that does! at 4X it shows glitches and at 2X TOTALLY NOTHING, PERFECT, but 4x will give me better peroformance! How can I make it work at 4x??? (will I loose like 10 fps with 2X), my 5V is 5.08, and my I/0 voltage is 3.56 (default). I tried different AGP drivers- didn't help! what to do?

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Now that I understand your problem there is something for you to try. The AGP Driving Voltage (timing between the north bridge, video card and cpu) on the VIA chipsetted mobo's can exhibit what you have when not timed right. Do this first:
1. Download Powerstrip 3.0 from:
<A HREF="http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/psbeta.exe" target="_new">http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/psbeta.exe</A>
2. Install and run PS3
3. In the PS3 tray icon click to open up menu
4. Select <b>Options - Adapter Information...</b>
5. A diagnostic report will be generated
6. Scroll through the report until you find <b>AGP driving value - ??</b> let me know what it is set at. *IMPORTANT* *IMPORTANT*
7. From there we can start manipulating this timing value either via the two values in your bios or by using PS3 using a hidden command in the initiation file.

Once set right, your corruption will probably go away. On my Iwill KK266 with the AGP Driving Value (Asus names it differently) in Auto I would get corruption with my Radeon in AGP4x until I found the correct value, now it is problem free even if my FSB is up to 159mhz I don't have problems with AGP4x. Let me know.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
do you think that using powestrip will help me with my older socket 7 motherboard. it has via chips, and is having problems running my geforce2 pro.. crashman told me that it is via chips not giving the card enough juice.
to get the thing to run stable, i have to turn down the video acceleration, and i also have to force 1x agp. this doesnt let the card perform to its full potential. like when i try to change any video settings in unreal tournament, it locks up my computer. it is kinda dissapointing, especially considering that this card isnt even overclocked. and i had to format and reinstall windows to get the thing to work (along with the dulling down of the cards features!). if ps3 wont help me, then it is ok. in the near future, i am getting a new motherboard and proccessor. the motherboard has the new sis 735 chipset, and should be able to provide the card with enough juice.
-DAvid

-Vacuums suck...really...-

G

NOKO! THANKS! Here what it says in PowerStrip:
AGP driving value - D9h (N-ctrl=13, P-ctrl=9)
Is that it? I can set AGP settings manually, but there it's abit confusing, 2 variables, different letters. Here is also the full diagnostic:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerStrip build - 193
Windows build - v.4.90.73010104.1
DirectX build - v.4.08.00.0400
OpenGL renderer - (n/a)

System board
CPU speed - 807 MHz
Type - VIA VIA-KT133-<A7V>
BIOS - Award Bios, 07/17/2001
AGP aperture - 32 MB
AGP transfer mechanism - DMA
AGP non-local memory - 28,6 MB
AGP revision - 2.00
AGP transfer rates supported - 1x, 2x
Current AGP transfer rate - 2x
Sideband addressing - hardware support, but currently disabled
Fast write protocol - Enabled
AGP texturing - Enabled

Graphics card #1
Identity - NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Memory clock - 165,96 MHz
Engine clock - 175,00 MHz
IRQ - 11, not shared
AGP revision - 2.00
AGP transfer rates supported - 1x, 2x, 4x
Current AGP transfer rate - 2x
Sideband addressing - (n/a)
Display driver - nvdisp.drv, v.4.13.01.1241
DirectX driver - nvdd32.dll, v.4.13.01.1241
Attached monitor - Plug and Play Monitor ((Standard monitor types))
Monitor caps (1) - 1600x1200, 75kHz, 85Hz

Device enumeration
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (011010DEh) - using IRQ11
AsusTek CPU-to-PCI/AGP bridge (03051106h)
VIA PCI-to-PCI/AGP bridge (83051106h)
AsusTek PCI-to-ISA bridge (06861106h)
VIA IDE controller (05711106h)
VIA Universal serial bus (USB) (30381106h) - using IRQ9
VIA Universal serial bus (USB) (30381106h) - using IRQ9
AsusTek Power management controller (30571106h)
US Robotics Serial controller (100812B9h) - using IRQ9
Creative Labs Audio device (00021102h) - using IRQ5
Creative Labs Input controller (70021102h)
Promise Mass storage controller (0D30105Ah) - using IRQ10

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Is that it? I can set AGP settings manually, but there it's abit confusing, 2 variables, different letters.
The BIOS number is in hexadecimal. In this case AGP Driving Strength represents the two values for N-Ctrl and P-Ctrl each ranging from 0 to F which is 0 to 15 (decimal). D (hex) equals 13 (decimal). So the two sets numbers that you see are actually the same.

Thanks to Noko for explaining the use of these values.

No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 08/26/01 08:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

??? I still have no idea how to set them??? when I choose MANUALLY it is set to C and E(forgot which one is which).

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry. I thought you were saying you had "D9" in BIOS and N-Ctrl=13 and P-Ctrl=9 in PowerStrip.

With Via chipsets the first number, D in my example, is the N-Ctrl value. The second number is the P-Ctrl value.

Be careful changing these via your BIOS. It could make your video unreadable or blank. If this happens just reset your CMOS. It's better to test with PowerStrip or H.Oda's utility, Wpcredit(offset B1 contains the AGP Driving strength values).

G

hold on, it all gets even more confusing! How would I test all that? there are way too many values and it will take around 2 hours!!! What settings would work? and don't give me any glitches?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You better ask Noko, since he has actually done it. I just set mine to EA because it was recommended to me for my Geforce256. I never did know what it actually did.

Offhand, I would say adjust only one of the values at a time, either the N-Ctrl or the P-Ctrl but not both. There can be only 15 values, other than the one to which it is already set. When you find the one that works best hold that one steady and go on to the varying the other value. Later you might have to fine tune because I'm sure the two controls must interact.

G

Who recomended that for you? It doesn't say in my videocard manual (GeForce2 MX) what to set? How would I see which one works better? there are 15 in one value and 15 in the other meaning there are 225 mods??
NOKO, MAN, help me out one more time!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Who recomended that for you? It doesn't say in my videocard manual (GeForce2 MX) what to set?
I think I read it at <A HREF="http://www.geforcefaq.com" target="_new">http://www.geforcefaq.com</A>

How would I see which one works better?
Change one value. Run you graphics test. If your graphics abhoration improves then you are on the right track.

there are 15 in one value and 15 in the other meaning there are 225 mods??
Yes, in theory you have 255 combinations but you are adjusting two pseudo registers each with only 16 values. Some of those values will cause your video to fail. Those values you would obviously not want to use in the future.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
OK you have to realize each mobo is different due to trace difference between them. The manual value you had did not represent what ASUS set when it is in automatic. When set to automatic doesn't really mean any kind of checking is going on, it is just a fixed value chosen by ASUS for best settings for most cards or graphic chips. Meaning it is not really an optimum value. It is a place to start. Now there are two ways you can adjust this value, 1 - via the bios, 2 - via PS3.

Using the bios you will have to reboot for each change, on some mobo's the value has a dramatic effect resulting in total miscommunication between the North Bridge and video card resulting in a non boot. Which mean you will have to reset your cmos. On other mother boards this setting has virtually no effect when the value is changed. I recommend using PowerStrip initially to see if it can change the value. On some via motherboards PS3 cannot change the value.

This is the easy way to change the AGP Driving Value using Powerstrip: <i>Pay close attention</i>
1. In PowerStrip3 do the following:

. . (a)<b>Menu - Options - Preferences</b>
. . (b)Change under <b>Options</b> and uncheck <b>Auto-Load with windows</b>
. . Do this so that if a incompatible value is set all you will have to do is reboot to get back your default Bios value without PS3 automatically reinserting the wrong value.

2. Close PowerStrip3 (must do each time before you save the modified PSrip.ini file.)

3. Open up notepad

4. Go to the <b>File</b> menu and choose <b>Open</b>

5. Go to the directory which you installed PowerStrip3 into and open <b>PStrip.ini</b> file, it will look something like this

<i>[Global Options]
User=noko
Build=190
Windows=5.0.2195.2.Service Pack 2
Mechanism32=2
. . .
. . .</i>

6. Under [Global Options} add the following command:

. . <b>AGPdrv=??</b> (where ?? is the new AGP driving value)

So it should look something like this now:

<i>[Global Options]
<b>AGPdrv=EE</b>
User=noko
Build=190
Windows=5.0.2195.2.Service Pack 2
. .
. .</i>

7. Save the modified PStrip.ini file and restart PowerStrip3, your new AGP driving value will be inserted.

8. Verefy that the new AGP driving value has been modified as like before.

9. Repeat 2 - 6 to change the AGP driving value as needed.

Your first value is indicated as D9, I recommend you try E9 first and let us know if PowerStrip made the change in the AGP driving value, then we can work from there.

The AGP driving value is actually two separate values, some bioses combines those values while ASUS in the bios correctly identifies them separatly. Just remember you are adjusting two parameters not one. So the above suggested change is actually only changing one of them. Let me know how it works out. Just remember if your computer scrams out (it may not do anything) you should be able to reboot right back into windows. Also you might want to try the above with AGP2x to get a feel for it, it is rather easy after all and finding the right value shouldn't take to long since in reality you are already close. On my machine changing my value from EC to EE was what was needed to get rid of all corruption in AGP 4x. Other mobo's maybe different. Good luck.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 08/26/01 10:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
HAHAHAHA I knew someone would eventually try it if I recommended it long enough, that stuff wreakes havoc with electronics, and your card is permanently ruined!

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
J/K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actaully I have JB weld on 3 cards now without a problem. Why don't you try that card on your freinds system if it is truely an identicle card and see if it has a problem! I doubt that JB weld is the cause, it's more likely your chipset, many people have problems running 4x on VIa chipsets, and then again, many don't. You have lots of guys in here making lots of good suggestions, I'm sure the JB weld has nothing to do with it, and that when you do get it figured out, you'll be able to push the card further than before.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

G

Thank, you! I have to reread your post 100 times for it to make sense.....you don't have to answer that question, but when it was wrong value did you experience glitches like mine? were glitches in all your 3d games? or just in some specific places? and I was using AGP 4x all the time and that crap happened only 7 days ago! I flashed my old bios - same thing...

G

SOMEBODY HELP!!!!!!! I changed to non-bootable value, and it does 3 beeps, no post or boot, how do I reset the CMOS??? I thought you ment reset by removing the battery, waiting for 5 minutes and put it back?????

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Why didn't you use PowerSrip3???
Did you set your value way different then what was default??
One reason why I like Abit boards in this matter, all you have to do is just push the insert key while booting and the default bios setup is inserted.

If you are not sure about something, I recommend you take a breather and ask a few more questions before proceeding in the future.

I hope you have a manual, you where warned, I am sorry for what happen but not much I can do now. After resetting your bios you should be able to reboot. If not then you will be the first person I know that blew up his video card by adjusting this value.

With the wrong value I would get a green line periodically during startup, the open and close button would get corrupted and only a restart would correct it, games would spas out. Could not overclock the FSB when in AGP 4x. Once I set it to where it is now everything is working great for even with a FSB of 159mhz with AGP4x.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
As Noko said, check your owner's manual.

Another way to reset the CMOS, after removing the battery, short the battery terminals for 10 seconds. Replace the battery.

You can also install a PCI video card to boot you machine then change the AGP drive strength back to its original condition.

Per

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just tried this myself. I checked the faq and it said that Epox MB's should be set to BAh or CAh, so I set my Epox K7XA to BAh and I had 13 bots running happily around for a couple of hours without seeing the old "suddenly HL freezes but NumLock is still alive" error.

But you recommended Powerstrip, and it told me that I share IRQ7 between the Video card (ASUS 7100T) the network card (D-Link DFE 530TX) and sound card (Hoontech SoundTrack Digital XG) maybe because of win2k.
What's the solution for this?
BIOS setting PNP OS > NO ?
Forced IRQ in BIOS?
A smoother solution in win2k?

Thanxx

Per

:lol: