OpenGL and Asus GeForce 2 GTS

G

HELP ME!

I have been playing the game, Counter-Strike in OpenGL for a while now on my rig, and has been flawless. 75fps, never bumping down from there. But, a problem has surfaced two days ago.

Whenever I enter a game, be it online or off, I run into a huge problem. The textures keep blinking on and off, black to normal-looking texture. This happens for about 15 seconds, and then the system hangs, and I must restart. it has been this way ever since.

(Edit: For a snapshot of what is happening, http://www.geocities.com/broham/wtf.jpg This is a still shot of it, when the game is running, it keeps flashing and blinking between black and the regular texture.)

Now, I have installed the latest drivers for the card, Detonator3, and gotten DirectX 8, and even went so far as to d/l the drivers for my motherboard, to no avail. I have not overclocked my card, it is running at the stock speed of 200/Engine and 166(333) DDR memory.

I just ran into this problem two days ago, after a good 5 months of use. I have not been able to sleep, due to my lack of a gaming 'fix'. Please help!

My specs are :

1.2 Athlon
A7A266 Asus Motherboard
Asus AGP-V7700 GeForce2 GTS w/32mb of memory
256 of DDR RAM
30 gig. UDMA/100
Win98

Also, the problem started on the day that I installed Office 2000, but I surely don't think that this is a problem.

I have adequate airflow, and have kept the cpu/memory to a temperature of 40-45C, and the video card to around 50-54C. I do not think it could be a temperature problem either, as it has been running for 5 months.

This problem is not localized to Counter-Strike either. Any game that makes use of video hardware acceleration freezes.

If anyone could please tell me what to do, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Johan Lieu.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Broham on 08/26/01 02:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
i also ahve an asus v7700 card. i don't have the problem with lock ups and i use opengl. maybe it's a hardware problem with your video card or processor?

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
I've seen this problem several times as well. Can't tell ya why though. My card never gets over 50C (max load), so I suspect it's not the temp. I solved this prob by "ALT-TAB"
to the desktop, then "AlT-TAB" back to the game...that seemed to reset the display correctly.

"Get the facts first. You can distort them later." - Mark Twain

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i reccomend you ditch directx 8.

i had heaps of problems with memory overflows using 8.0, and in 8.1 the 32bit openGL textures were fubar.

i had to do a complete reinstall to fix em

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.