HELP: ZOOM v.92 stalling on the line

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
I have a ZOOM v.92 56k modem.

Here is the scenario:

I initiate a connection to the internet. While it is dialing, I hit "Cancel". I try dialing again, and it gives me an error saying the device is already in use, and it doesn't connect. When I pick up my telephone, the modem is hissing on the line, but none of my apps can access the internet. I cannot access the internet, and I cannot get it to hang up and redial again, until I restart my computer.

Is this a driver problem, or a hardware problem? In other words, should I take the modem back to the store, or should I reinstall Windows?

I am running:
WinXP
ASUS TUSL2
Pentium III 800

Thanks in advance

-DOOM

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
after you hit cancel (why???) your modem is still in use for a while, you didnt say what windows you are running, but 98 was a pain for this at times, do a ctrl/alt/del and end rnnapp

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
As I said at the end of my post, I am running Windows XP.

I have my internet connection settings set to automatically dial whenever a connection is needed. However, my modem shares a voice line, and sometimes I accidentally click on something and it tries to connect to the internet when I don't want it to. I hit cancel because I don't want my computer to be on the phone line.

The problem is that my modem is not just "in use for a while". It is on the line and connected, but none of my software can access it, I cannot hang it up, I cannot redial, and I cannot use the phone until I reboot my PC. This situation persists until I reboot. Even if I manage to get the modem to hang up by picking up the phone and pressing buttons, I still can't get the modem to dial again until I reboot.

I am just trying to find out if this is a hardware problem or a software problem.

Thanks for your helpful interest,

-DOOM

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
sorry, didnt see XP in the 1st post, did you try end tasking rnnapp ? that happened quite often on 98, specially after an i.e. crash, not sure if its the same as xp coz I dont use it anymore

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?