Sign in with
Your question

newbie with perculiar problem?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Anonymous
March 3, 2001 8:58:51 PM

I am a newbie and currently have Red Hat 6.2 but it failed to start after installation said succesful. ???

System is
A7V + Duron_900 + HDD_set_to_ATA66 + GF_DDR modified to Quadro

The partitions are all in ONE logical dos drive in one of the Extended partitions

/ have 1000MB
/boot have 300MB
/usr have 1000MB
/usr/local have 1000MB
/home have 1000MB
/SWAP have 588

don't know what they are, simply did it without knowing why?

More than 400 packages installed - took forever - didn't have a choice

on last boot up screen says

L1 cache 64K
L2 cache 1K
kernel panic - attempt ....... kill

have alot on-line manual on CD-rom, been reading alot, but need short-cut instructions specify to A7V + Duron_900 + HDD_set_to_ATA66 + GF_DDR modified to Quadro

saw some other posts about new kernal 2.4 needed so my only first clue is the 6.2 is too old.

if so, how to implement it into a installer? (if ask correctly !)

can the installer start from the HDD after download? I guess it requires boot disk

looks obvious I am a newBies, so please help me! many Thanks in advance!!!

Best regards
cx5
Anonymous
March 4, 2001 2:07:07 AM

Hmmm....

My first thoughts are that the kernel is incorrectly recognizing the Duron, and "panicing". I would suggest trying a new distribution. Try to find one with the 2.4 kernel. I have had RedHat 7 running on my TBird, so could try that version also. If you need/want to use RH, you could compile the 2.4 kernel - it's not very hard :) 

From you list of partitions, did you use the "workstation" install? I would recomend against that, as any moderately-aware computer user can understand the custom install.

A note on partitions - you don't really need that many separate partitions. The separation is a long-time UNIX tradition of security and safety. If you are just using the machine for yourself, you could change it to:

- /boot 32MB, make this the first partition, as it will hold the boot files that must be at the beginning of the disk (below cylinder 1024)
- <swap> 128MB - depends on how much RAM is installed
- / however much you need (2GB min!)

If you want to separate the partitions, split the / partition as your list suggests:
/ 1GB (good)
/home 1GB (maybe more: all your data files should be kept here)
/usr 1GB (good)
/usr/local 1GB (good)

--------
I have not yet begun to procrastinate.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bartleby on 03/03/01 08:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 12, 2001 2:43:35 AM

I can't actually recommend a distro bearing kernel 2.4, since I haven't tried such a distro myself. I can only recommend that you not use RedHat...

RedHat 7.0, while all right for basic desktop use, is horribly, horribly broken. It bears a broken compiler, "beta" libs, etc., stuff that would really put a crimp in your day if you wanted to do actual development. My best advice would be to go with SuSE 7.1 (or is it 7.2?), although I haven't tried it personally.

Oddly, though, I got Linux running with kernel 2.2.16 on an 800MHz Slot A Athlon classic. I didn't hear anything about the T-bird requiring a later kernel. RedHat 7.0 uses a 2.2.x kernel too, I believe, but RedHat applies a lot of additional patches to the kernel source (some of which may be less than stable). In my mind, RedHat 7.0's kernel is more of a 2.3 kernel than a 2.2 kernel.

On a side note, my own typical partitioning scheme:

/boot = 32MB (Sometimes I don't put this fs here. It's here in case the boot loader can't do LBA extensions, or can't handle the main fs for the system, etc. etc. If I put it there, I put it at the very beginning of the drive.)
/ = 256MB (the only stuff that fills this partition is stuff in /etc, /bin, /sbin, /root, and /lib. everything else is just mount points)
/tmp = 256MB (in case I someday decide to make /tmp a memory-based filesystem.)
/var = 512MB (logging info goes here. I keep it on a separate partition from / because of syslogd, the system message logger. syslogd is a DoS waiting to happen if you don't do this; it allows unprivileged users to quickly fill up the entire filesystem of /var/log, even with quotas on, and sometimes from across a network connection.)
/usr = 4096MB (I actually vary the size on this. I put basic system apps/libs here if they're not needed at system init time. On a side note, I don't even use /usr/local, and AFAIK most distros don't either. A lot of source packages you might compile yourself will default to installing their stuff in /usr/local though.)
swap partition = twice the size of the system RAM (recommended for optimum performance. I typically make it the very last partition on the drive.)
/opt and /home = split the remaining disk space evenly between the two. (I actually don't always put /opt on a hardcore server. I normally put optional window managers, web browsers, and games in /opt. /home, obviously, holds users' home directories. Putting it on a separate partition is one of many safeguards against users filling up the root filesystem.)

-----------------------------------------------------------
"Eat a live frog in the morning, and nothing worse will happen to you for the rest of the day."
!