Changing battery?

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 3:46:36 AM

I have a older Dell(6yr.)never changed the battery on the
motherboard,computer runs perfect yet,so is it wise to change it.If I do
will all my bios settings be lost? Thanks

More about : changing battery

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 4:15:42 AM

Thanks Tony! I need to know this too. I just got a new computer and am
giving my 5 year old Dell to my daughter. The battery is fine now but I'd
like to replace it while I have the system broke down and revamping it :)
Can I pick one of these up at Best Buy?
"Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message
>I have a older Dell(6yr.)never changed the battery on the
> motherboard,computer runs perfect yet,so is it wise to change it.If I do
> will all my bios settings be lost? Thanks

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 5:36:09 AM

The battery will eventually give out, although I can't say how many years
that might take. It's just the typical penlight battery that you buy at the
drug store for a few bucks.

Whether or not you will lose the BIOS settings may depend on the particular
motherboard and how fast you are at making the swap. (No need to rush
through it, but don't bring the old battery with you to the drug store.) In
any case, it's always a good idea to write down all your BIOS settings. Your
motherboard may have a 'default BIOS' built in.

Ted Zieglar

"Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Tony! I need to know this too. I just got a new computer and am
> giving my 5 year old Dell to my daughter. The battery is fine now but I'd
> like to replace it while I have the system broke down and revamping it :)
> Can I pick one of these up at Best Buy?
> "Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message
>>I have a older Dell(6yr.)never changed the battery on the
>> motherboard,computer runs perfect yet,so is it wise to change it.If I do
>> will all my bios settings be lost? Thanks

a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 9:09:46 AM

Monica,you can buy them just about anyplace the sell small batteries,mine is
a button type Duracell.
"Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Tony! I need to know this too. I just got a new computer and am
> giving my 5 year old Dell to my daughter. The battery is fine now but I'd
> like to replace it while I have the system broke down and revamping it :)
> Can I pick one of these up at Best Buy?
> "Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message
> >I have a older Dell(6yr.)never changed the battery on the
> > motherboard,computer runs perfect yet,so is it wise to change it.If I do
> > will all my bios settings be lost? Thanks

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 12:28:57 PM

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in news:LaudnTMrZItaBwPfRVn-
vA@comcast.com:

> ...penlight battery...

Eh?

Motherboards have a 'coin' cell, usually a CR2032 which is Lithium
technology with a quoted shelf life of 10 years.

A penlight battery is a AAA cylindrical package and I've never seen
one on a motherboard.

Unless the US market is different?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 1:30:18 PM

I lump CR2032 with all small round batteries that I call "penlight"
batteries. But in a news post, I should have used the correct name.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Kinell" <w@invalid.jp> wrote in message
> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in news:LaudnTMrZItaBwPfRVn-
> vA@comcast.com:
>
> > ...penlight battery...
>
> Eh?
>
> Motherboards have a 'coin' cell, usually a CR2032 which is Lithium
> technology with a quoted shelf life of 10 years.
>
> A penlight battery is a AAA cylindrical package and I've never seen
> one on a motherboard.
>
> Unless the US market is different?

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 2:12:59 PM

A penlight battery??? What kind of computer do you own?? They are
usually a round flat battery and the best place to buy the battery is
Radio Shack, once you have the number.

Bob

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 01:36:09 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
wrote:

>The battery will eventually give out, although I can't say how many years
>that might take. It's just the typical penlight battery that you buy at the
>drug store for a few bucks.
>
>Whether or not you will lose the BIOS settings may depend on the particular
>motherboard and how fast you are at making the swap. (No need to rush
>through it, but don't bring the old battery with you to the drug store.) In
>any case, it's always a good idea to write down all your BIOS settings. Your
>motherboard may have a 'default BIOS' built in.
>
>Ted Zieglar
>
>"Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Tony! I need to know this too. I just got a new computer and am
>> giving my 5 year old Dell to my daughter. The battery is fine now but I'd
>> like to replace it while I have the system broke down and revamping it :)
>> Can I pick one of these up at Best Buy?
>> "Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a older Dell(6yr.)never changed the battery on the
>>> motherboard,computer runs perfect yet,so is it wise to change it.If I do
>>> will all my bios settings be lost? Thanks

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2005 8:06:57 PM

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in news:FQDne.167
$Si4.6798364@news.sisna.com:

> I lump CR2032 with all small round batteries that I call "penlight"
> batteries. But in a news post, I should have used the correct name.

You Merkins must use funny shaped pens.
!