Changing battery?

I have a older Dell(6yr.)never changed the battery on the
motherboard,computer runs perfect yet,so is it wise to change it.If I do
will all my bios settings be lost? Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about changing battery

    Thanks Tony! I need to know this too. I just got a new computer and am
    giving my 5 year old Dell to my daughter. The battery is fine now but I'd
    like to replace it while I have the system broke down and revamping it :)
    Can I pick one of these up at Best Buy?
    "Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message
    >I have a older Dell(6yr.)never changed the battery on the
    > motherboard,computer runs perfect yet,so is it wise to change it.If I do
    > will all my bios settings be lost? Thanks

    The battery will eventually give out, although I can't say how many years
    that might take. It's just the typical penlight battery that you buy at the
    drug store for a few bucks.

    Whether or not you will lose the BIOS settings may depend on the particular
    motherboard and how fast you are at making the swap. (No need to rush
    through it, but don't bring the old battery with you to the drug store.) In
    any case, it's always a good idea to write down all your BIOS settings. Your
    motherboard may have a 'default BIOS' built in.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Tony! I need to know this too. I just got a new computer and am
    > giving my 5 year old Dell to my daughter. The battery is fine now but I'd
    > like to replace it while I have the system broke down and revamping it :)
    > Can I pick one of these up at Best Buy?
    > "Tony Pacc" <tpacc@execpc.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a older Dell(6yr.)never changed the battery on the
    >> motherboard,computer runs perfect yet,so is it wise to change it.If I do
    >> will all my bios settings be lost? Thanks

    Monica,you can buy them just about anyplace the sell small batteries,mine is
    a button type Duracell.

    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in news:LaudnTMrZItaBwPfRVn-
    vA@comcast.com:

    > ...penlight battery...

    Eh?

    Motherboards have a 'coin' cell, usually a CR2032 which is Lithium
    technology with a quoted shelf life of 10 years.

    A penlight battery is a AAA cylindrical package and I've never seen
    one on a motherboard.

    Unless the US market is different?

    I lump CR2032 with all small round batteries that I call "penlight"
    batteries. But in a news post, I should have used the correct name.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Kinell" <w@invalid.jp> wrote in message
    > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in news:LaudnTMrZItaBwPfRVn-
    > vA@comcast.com:
    >
    > > ...penlight battery...
    >
    > Eh?
    >
    > Motherboards have a 'coin' cell, usually a CR2032 which is Lithium
    > technology with a quoted shelf life of 10 years.
    >
    > A penlight battery is a AAA cylindrical package and I've never seen
    > one on a motherboard.
    >
    > Unless the US market is different?

    A penlight battery??? What kind of computer do you own?? They are
    usually a round flat battery and the best place to buy the battery is
    Radio Shack, once you have the number.

    Bob

    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in news:FQDne.167
    $Si4.6798364@news.sisna.com:

    > I lump CR2032 with all small round batteries that I call "penlight"
    > batteries. But in a news post, I should have used the correct name.

    You Merkins must use funny shaped pens.

Dell Battery Motherboards Computers