Replacement case fan dell 8300

I have googled to my hearts content and cannot find enough information on
how to replace the case fan in a dell 8300. I have upgraded my graphics
card and now the fan is going faster a lot more often. A more modern fan
like the panaflo would help.

Some people seem to say that once you replace the fan you need to press F1
at boot as you get an error, is this correct.

What Size fan is it ??

How do you get the original fan out of the shroud ??

As you can see bit of a newbie when it comes to mods.

Thanks
Al

I have never seen the F1 error myself after a fan swap. Just be sure that
you get a fan with 3 wires since the third wire is for monitoring the fan
(proving line to MB that fan is on and working). Without it the MB will
think the fan is not running and will shutdown the system. The fan clips in
and I believe that a 92mm fan is the correct size (9.2cm if you wish). Also
be sure that you install the fan with the correct orientation. Check the
arrows on the fan shroud and position them the same as the old fan.

Regards,
John O.

"John O" <jo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>I have never seen the F1 error myself after a fan swap. Just be sure that
>you get a fan with 3 wires since the third wire is for monitoring the fan
>(proving line to MB that fan is on and working). Without it the MB will
>think the fan is not running and will shutdown the system. The fan clips in
>and I believe that a 92mm fan is the correct size (9.2cm if you wish). Also
>be sure that you install the fan with the correct orientation. Check the
>arrows on the fan shroud and position them the same as the old fan.
>
> Regards,
> John O.

....and the brand/model of replacement fan you used is? This is important
since you say you have no 'fan failure' messages during POST.

Stew

Perfect, understand how to take off and put back on. Now to purchase the
quietest fan I can find.

Thanks
Al

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002

> Perfect, understand how to take off and put back on. Now to purchase the
> quietest fan I can find.
>
> Thanks
> Al

I have built many computers using these Nexus 92mm case fan
http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2858
I have yet to find a quieter fan.

SteveR

NMB for one...but so does Dell.

Regards,
John O.

> "John O" <jo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>>I have never seen the F1 error myself after a fan swap. Just be sure that
>>you get a fan with 3 wires since the third wire is for monitoring the fan
>>(proving line to MB that fan is on and working). Without it the MB will
>>think the fan is not running and will shutdown the system. The fan clips
>>in and I believe that a 92mm fan is the correct size (9.2cm if you wish).
>>Also be sure that you install the fan with the correct orientation. Check
>>the arrows on the fan shroud and position them the same as the old fan.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John O.
>>

> ...and the brand/model of replacement fan you used is? This is important
> since you say you have no 'fan failure' messages during POST.
>

> Stew

I've tried to replace the noisy fan in my dell server sc1420 and sc420
and i purchased a very quiet vantec stealth.
however, i could not figure out how to slip the original fan out of the
4 rubber holders without breaking them and where t opurchase more of
those holders, and most important how to connect the power, since the
fan came with 3 wires, but the dell uses a 4-wire connector on the
motherboard, different than a standard molex.

can you recommend where to get the rubber pins or how to remove the fan
without destroying the existing rubber holders??
also how to adapt the power to fit?? i dont want to cut the existing
cable on the original fan.. thanks for any help

John O wrote:
> I have never seen the F1 error myself after a fan swap. Just be sure that
> you get a fan with 3 wires since the third wire is for monitoring the fan
> (proving line to MB that fan is on and working). Without it the MB will
> think the fan is not running and will shutdown the system. The fan clips in
> and I believe that a 92mm fan is the correct size (9.2cm if you wish). Also
> be sure that you install the fan with the correct orientation. Check the
> arrows on the fan shroud and position them the same as the old fan.
>
> Regards,
> John O.
>
> "Al Brown" <usenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have googled to my hearts content and cannot find enough information on
>>how to replace the case fan in a dell 8300. I have upgraded my graphics
>>card and now the fan is going faster a lot more often. A more modern fan
>>like the panaflo would help.
>>
>>Some people seem to say that once you replace the fan you need to press F1
>>at boot as you get an error, is this correct.
>>
>>What Size fan is it ??
>>
>>How do you get the original fan out of the shroud ??
>>
>>As you can see bit of a newbie when it comes to mods.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Al

Update:----

Yeat again dell uses non standard motherboard connectors on the motherboard.
Three pin fan connector but completely differetn to a normal one.

Al

To remove rubber grommets, I use a thin screwdriver to push them through the
holes. They can be "installed" easily by hand on a fan and a chassis.

AFAIK, the Dell 3-pin fan connector is unique. The only practical choices are
to solder the Dell connector (ugly!) or another Dell fan.

Could dust and dirt be causing the fan noise, or has the fan always been noisy?

.... Ben Myers