Google Leaks Info About New iMacs, MacBook

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Google AdSense ads, that lead to nowhere, why would Apple even create those ads? Is this a screwup on Google's part, were those ads not supposed to be released yet?

Maybe its all some marketing ploy to divert attention from table Apple is "NOT" *wink* making.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]hallic7[/nom]Coming from Apple, one thing is sure... this computer will be overpriced.[/citation]

That would appear to be the case of the typical Windows user...a recent report found: "... that Mac owners have more computers than the average consumer, and that extends over to other types of electronics, including iPods and navigation systems. Of those surveyed, 36 percent of computer owners had an iPod. The share among Mac owners, though, was 63 percent. Similarly, while 12 percent of computer-owning households have a digital SLR camera, the total is 32 percent for Mac homes.

"While Apple owners tend to own more computers and more electronics devices, there is also a high correlation among Apple owners and more affluent consumer households,” said Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis. "Thirty-six percent of Apple computer owners reported household incomes greater than $100,000, compared to 21 percent of all consumers.

He added: "With a higher household income, though, it's not a surprise that those consumers are making more electronics purchases. "The average Apple household owns 48 CE devices whereas the average computer household owns about 24. Apple household owners' actions and purchases can be used by the industry as leading indicators for hot new products and adoption."

Sucks not having money.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Those ultra thin don't appear to be overpriced. The latest Dell ultra thin is $1999.99. But knowing Apple they're going to find ways to price gouge consumers as in these prices might not be accurate. Also has history has shown, a desktop mac that is under a grand typically is riddled with a load of problems. But with the current hardware that is out one would hope that Apple could get it right because you can buy a pretty fast PC cheap these days and it won't lock up (unlike the old iMac I was forced to use in a computer lab in college which locked up just by looking at the screen.)

I was just looking at the so called "unibody" macbook a few days ago. What is unibody about it? I see removable panels on the bottom. It is not much different than a similary shaped Sony laptop computer (although ergonomically, the Sony is more functional because they aren't assenine about not including two mouse buttons on the touch pad). Plus with the way they designed the exhaust, I'm amazed the thing doesn't overheat constantly with that nvidia gpu inside. Still, it is a nice looking laptop. although the sony I was looking at the other day is about 1100 bucks with a 17" screen, Apple is never going to match that kind of deal. Kinda amazing too since usually Sony are overpriced as well.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Nik_I[/nom]so the mac mini is getting a $124 price increase?[/citation]

No. Apple pricing is weird. If it cost $499 in the US then it will also be $499 Eu...which is the equivalent of $723 US.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom] It is not much different than a similary shaped Sony laptop computer (although ergonomically, the Sony is more functional because they aren't assenine about not including two mouse buttons on the touch pad). Plus with the way they designed the exhaust, I'm amazed the thing doesn't overheat constantly with that nvidia gpu inside.[/citation]
I configured both a Sony and Apple to almost the same specs...or as close as I could get. The Sony came in $100 less, but does not have DDR3 RAM. Given that I would go with a Unix kernel over Windows. The track pad of the Mac can be custom configured to have two mouse buttons...just go to Sys Pref and set it up. The beauty of the Mac track pad is that you don't physically have the 2 buttons. I have never had any issues with overheating with my 17" MBP.

G

keep in mind, apple rejected google's app for a phone that would over ride the features of an iphone. probably just some political game/BS if you ask me

joshthor

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]That would appear to be the case of the typical Windows user...a recent report found: "... that Mac owners have more computers than the average consumer, and that extends over to other types of electronics, including iPods and navigation systems. Of those surveyed, 36 percent of computer owners had an iPod. The share among Mac owners, though, was 63 percent. Similarly, while 12 percent of computer-owning households have a digital SLR camera, the total is 32 percent for Mac homes."While Apple owners tend to own more computers and more electronics devices, there is also a high correlation among Apple owners and more affluent consumer households,” said Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis. "Thirty-six percent of Apple computer owners reported household incomes greater than $100,000, compared to 21 percent of all consumers.He added: "With a higher household income, though, it's not a surprise that those consumers are making more electronics purchases. "The average Apple household owns 48 CE devices whereas the average computer household owns about 24. Apple household owners' actions and purchases can be used by the industry as leading indicators for hot new products and adoption."Sucks not having money.[/citation]

stats dont dictate an individuals life. i am in a household that makes 120k a year. we have 8 pcs, 1 dslr, 4 p&s', 6 ipods, 3 50" tvs, and a variety of other electronic crap. i still think macs are overpriced because THEY ARE. paying 1000+ bucks for merely mid-low end hardware (macbook im looking at you) is a rip off. i perfer power over pretty. macs lack in that aspect.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]joshthor[/nom]stats dont dictate an individuals life. i am in a household that makes 120k a year. we have 8 pcs, 1 dslr, 4 p&s', 6 ipods, 3 50" tvs, and a variety of other electronic crap. i still think macs are overpriced because THEY ARE. paying 1000+ bucks for merely mid-low end hardware (macbook im looking at you) is a rip off. i perfer power over pretty. macs lack in that aspect.[/citation]

Surveys look at the norm...there are always outliers. If Mac's are just low performing pieces of art, then why do they consistently blow away the competition in Consumer Reports?

hallic7

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]Surveys look at the norm...there are always outliers.If Mac's are just low performing pieces of art, then why do they consistently blow away the competition in Consumer Reports?[/citation]

Because most users don't know nothing about hardware/pricing/performance... that's the norm...

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]hallic7[/nom]Because most users don't know nothing about hardware/pricing/performance... that's the norm...[/citation]

There are no polls saying one way or another, and so your claim is moot. We can assume that higher income households are college educated and most are somewhat tech savvy...why else would they own so much hardware?

Regardless, I bet they know what double negatives are though!

[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]Surveys look at the norm...there are always outliers. If Mac's are just low performing pieces of art, then why do they consistently blow away the competition in Consumer Reports?[/citation]

You're quoting consumer reports as a technical journal - they are not as such. The things Apple computers are slated to "blow away" PCs in qualitative journals like that are in style, NOT performance.

It doesn't matter how much money you make. Macs are overpriced relative to their competition, which are PCs. People's lifestyles have nothing to do with it.

hallic7

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I agree with frozenlead...

Yoder54... are you serious?? I mean, it's OBVIOUS that the vast majority of people using computers now don't know much about hardware/performance/pricing!!! If you argue this you have a serious problem!!! No poll is needed here!! If you compare numbers you can find out that computer(hardware) enthusiasts are just a little piece of the pie that refers to people using computers!!!! Way too clear!!!

gmcboot

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
There are no polls saying one way or another, and so your claim is moot. We can assume that higher income households are college educated and most are somewhat tech savvy...why else would they own so much hardware?

Well that is a dumb assumption. Considering 90+% of all corporate computers are Windows Based PC, it would be pretty dumb to assume that Mac are owned by affluent and PC are owned by "others". See that's the other thing Apple and Apple users doesn't get, they don't respect working class people. They think because they make something more expensive it is intrinsically better.

Here's a secret for you Yoder54, the vast majority of those who are responsible for for the care and feeding of most corporate networks do not make over 100K. Help-desk techs and the like. They make a good living, but it takes a while to hit the 6 figure plateau. But do you really think a some artsy fartsy marketing snob (aka Mac user) is going to know more about technology than... Windows Administrator, Help Desk tech, Cisco Engineer, VoIP Tech, hell the guy that comes in and installs your cable modem. Knowing how to get Itunes from your over priced mac to your over priced iPhone does not make you technically savvy. Considering Macs have to dumb down everything for the Appleheads, I say it makes them less technically savvy.

I have learned long ago that polls usually say what the pollsters want them to say. But then again, I am a Windows user, so I can think for myself.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]That would appear to be the case of the typical Windows user...a recent report found: "... that Mac owners have more computers than the average consumer, and that extends over to other types of electronics, including iPods and navigation systems. Of those surveyed, 36 percent of computer owners had an iPod. The share among Mac owners, though, was 63 percent. Similarly, while 12 percent of computer-owning households have a digital SLR camera, the total is 32 percent for Mac homes."While Apple owners tend to own more computers and more electronics devices, there is also a high correlation among Apple owners and more affluent consumer households,” said Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis. "Thirty-six percent of Apple computer owners reported household incomes greater than $100,000, compared to 21 percent of all consumers.He added: "With a higher household income, though, it's not a surprise that those consumers are making more electronics purchases. "The average Apple household owns 48 CE devices whereas the average computer household owns about 24. Apple household owners' actions and purchases can be used by the industry as leading indicators for hot new products and adoption."Sucks not having money.[/citation]

Thats cuz mac users don't realize that they waste their money.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
No, it doesn't mean I have a "serious problem," but merely am not familiar with an stats supporting such claims. Did I say "majority?" No. One does not have to be a computer enthusiasts to know what performance/pricing is all about, but that is does not really matter because what most consumers want is reliability...something that is lacking with most Windows systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.