How do I disable

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
To make a long story short, I have a mobo with onboard video (i810 chip.) and no agp. I was going to put in a radeon (pci) but I'm not given the option of disabling the video in the bios. How do I scrap the onboard video so I can insall the new card or can. Also, my comp. is supposed to have 11 megs of video allocated but when I run the little directx menu and check my video settings it says I only have 5 megs allocated. My bios only gives me the option of 512k or 1 meg of memory to video. If I can't do away with the video how do bump up the 5 megs that I have the 11 its supposed to have.

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You will only be able to disable the i810 in the device manager if your using Windoze. It's kind of like setting up a multimonitor configuration. Just make sure your primary display is set to PCI/Add on Card instead of Onboard/i810 in your system BIOS.

<font color=red>Content-type: Stupidity Error: Lost connection to MySQL memory at /user/opps.pl line 644.</font color=red>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you don't see the old i810 graphics in device manager after you install the Radeon then your BIOS made the built-in video unavailable to Windows. This means you're all set.

If you see both the Radeon and the i810 in device manager then go into the properties for the i810 and put a check mark at the option, <b>Disable in this hardware profile</b>.

I installed a Radeon PCI in a Dell L800 (i810). It was easy.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I forgot about your other question.

The shared memory for the i810e is supposed to be automatic. If your application needs more video memory, as when you choose higher resolution and 24-bit color, your video will use more memory. I doubt you will see the i810e use more memory if the only thing using it is the Windows desktop.

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I got ya. The reason I asked the second part was because I have a game that requires a minimum of 8 megs video. I bought it thinking I had 11 megs but with just 5 megs registering the game won't launch. I run games requiring more than 8 megs and they worked but for some reason this one won't. Just figured there was a way to tweak it to my game to launch until I get the upgrade.