Sign in with
Your question

Abit KT7A + Leadtek Gf2 pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2001 9:43:03 AM

I recently upgraded my system with a new mainboard/cpu/ graphics card. Everything APPEARED to go smoothly and i shut down my computer with a smile.

The next day however it failed to boot, the mainboard gives me 3 beeps meaning no graphics card detected, yet it was clearly firmly in the slot.

Now this particular card has 3 diagnostic LED's #1 is an ERR led (whatever that means, the manual doesnt even mention it, error probably) #2 is 4x AGP check and #3 is the power led. If all goes well the # 2 + 3 are lit and the system boots fine, but here only 1 + 2 are lit meaning SOMETHING is wrong.

I suspect its maybe not getting enough power( i have a 300W psu), but how do i fix that ? Do i even want to try ?

Sys specs

Abit KT7A mainboard
T-bird 1.2 Ghz 266FSB
Leadtek Geforce 2 Pro 64MB
512 MB PC133 RAM
SB LIVE! player 1024

Thoughts ?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2001 9:52:28 AM

Grr now the card is working again, seems to be a tempremental problem. Does that sound like a power issue ? Or something else ?
August 30, 2001 4:29:22 PM

I believe it is a power supply problem. Check the specs on you PSU, specifically the +3.3volt line. It should be capable of at least 20 amps but 30 is a better bet.

Go to <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm" target="_new">Paul's Unofficial Abit KT7 FAQ</A> and read about video card related problems for other possibilities.

You can also read about resolving problems with Geforce cards (all models) at <A HREF="http://www.geforcefaq.com" target="_new">http://www.geforcefaq.com&lt;/A>

Would you like a Quarter Pounder?
No, thank you. Just give me the BIG heatsink. It's an Athlon.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 30, 2001 6:17:14 PM

My wife's computer (same Mboard & Vcard as yours) has the Exact same problem. I also suspect the PSU (cheap 300w).
But If it fails to get a green light...I just hit the pwr SW and it usually gets going. Since I can get it to boot anyway, I haven't replaced the PSU…..BUT, if you figure out what's causing that problem, PSU or whatever, be sure and let us know. Funny thing was that the AsusGF256 I had in that machine previously had no problems...maybe it's leadtek?

"Get the facts first. You can distort them later." - Mark Twain
August 30, 2001 8:21:07 PM

I have the KT7A-Raid Mainboard with a Radeon 32MB DDR card. I think the problem may be with the board-video combination because I only have a 250W PSU and my computer always boots fine. Except for the time I closed my L1 bridges wrong, but that is a whole other story... ;) .

Don't get me wrong.... I am not trying to say that Radeon is better than GF2 because I know that that is a debated topic and I don't really want to get into that.... I am just saying that I have an almost identical set-up to yours with a different video card and mine works fine. Or... maybe since my PSU was the best on the market when I bought it, it can supply the power the AGP socket needs.
August 30, 2001 9:26:50 PM

i am running my msi-831 geforce2 pro on a 250 watt psu that is really, really insufficient....the 3.3v line only does 12A oh man....but i am only able to get it to run in 1x agp...
-DAvid

-Vacuums suck...really...-
August 30, 2001 10:17:21 PM

I run at 4X AGP with Fast Writes enabled with no problems. The only time I ever have problems with my system is when I try to overclock. For that I will need a new PSU and memory.
!