Windows 7 error 80073712

enemy43

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Hi,
i bought windows 7 Ultimate early this year and now am having problem with the updates. every time i try to update Microsoft.NET Framework i keep getting error code 89973712 but other updates are fine. I have run check disk and scf scan but nothing happens. Re-installing the windows is my last options so please help me.

bmathews

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Some third party programs can affect the Windows Update service. If you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I recommend you temporarily disable or uninstall them and then try accessing Windows Update later.

If the problem still happens, try the following steps:

Rename the Windows Update Softwaredistribution folder
================================================

1. Close all the open windows.

2. Click "Start", click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

3. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator".

4. In the "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully stopped before we try to rename the folder. However, if it fails, please let me know before performing any further steps and include any error messages you may have received when it failed.

5. Click "Start", in the "Start Search" box, type in "%windir%" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

6. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".

7. Right-click on the folder, select "Rename" and type "SDold" (without the quotes) to rename this folder.

8. Still in "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Windows Updates service.

If you still cannot install updates, running system file checker and check if the problem is caused by the corrupted system files:

System File Checker
================
1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all system files and will recover the corrupted ones.

3. Please restart the computer and recheck the original issue.

In-place Upgrade
=============

1. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

2. Click Start and choose Computer.

3. Please find the "setup.exe" file in the DVD-ROM and double click it.

4. Click Install now.

5. When we are prompted to input the product key, please click Next without inputting any key. The setup wizard will prompt and ask if you agree to install Windows 7 without the key. Please choose to confirm.

6. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the system files of Windows 7

Note: While performing the In-place Upgrade, the system will restart automatically (several times) to merge the files and programs. Please leave the computer alone and do not configure it until In-place Upgrade is completed. The system will start Windows 7 once it is upgraded.

Also, check here for more great troubleshooting tips:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vistawu/thread/6cf31ce7-18b9-48b0-aabd-c2addd4b9ed2

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

ricky_critic

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
To fix the above error, run the following CMD (as Admin):
reg delete HKLM\COMPONENTS /v StoreDirty

also navigate to C:\Windows\winsxs, and delete a file called "Pending.xml" [its on every vista install if you can see it or not]

you will need to enable "show all files" and untick "protected operating system files" from "folder options" in control panel

jonscaife

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
I had this problem with Windows 7 x64, but the solution above didn't work for me. It took me ages to figure out how to fix it. I had to use the "System Update readiness tool" and copy some files from another PC. Full details of the fix are at http://www.diymediahome.org/pcs/misc-software/windows-update-error-80073712/