End of TV out ?

G

I'm thinking of buying a card with TV out to watch DVD
from my PC on my TV.
A shop owner has told me that from March of this year 2001
DVD have some kind of blocking mechanism on them to prevent this?
Is this old news?
Is the a pile of pants?
Is there a way around it?
Ta

G

Big pile of steaming urine stained skid marked old mans pants.

It doesnt matter what they do, they can fiddle with whatever they want, 2 days later some guy will have made a software workaround for free download. Dont fear the corporate propaganda. BE FREE ! WATCH DVD !

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The thing is they have all this new storage technology to store upto a couple of hundred gigabytes on a disk using red laser, way cheaper than the dvd blue laser.

Now, Normal DVD compression seems descent enough. If DivX is used, the lower storage won't be that much of an advantage but the bandwidth requirements can be an advantage for higher resolutions. the only problem is the high motion, low motion codec thing.

What I would like to see is super-broadcast quality. Something like a resolution of 1200 lines with an anamorphic aspect of 2.35:1, 16:9 and 4:3.

Now with all the digital cinema projectors and everything, there is virtually no need to do differed release of a movie around the world. We could see simultaneous worldwide release, which could eliminate the need for region coded movie discs. but somehow I don't see that happening. Those MPAA folks want all the control they can have.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
NO, it is a problem with Macrovision and certain hardware. Macrovision uses a technology to detect whether or not a recording device is attached to your card. If it is, you get either lowered video quality or no video output, depending on the player.
If your TV-Output chip cannot detect a recorder, it is considered Macrovision incompliant and the signal is always blocked. This is true of ALL CARDS with TV-Out.
Some older software players did not have Macrovision enabled, so the use of these provents such problems. And for the rest of us, DVD Digest provides Macrovision Free software.
So the problem is not future, but current, and is fixable.

Back to you Tom...

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Thats not how macrovision works. Video recording systems are usually more sensitive to what signal range (brightness) they can accept. They have electronics to detect the brightness of the input signal and to check if it is within the acceptable range. If it is too bright (above the range), the signal power is reduced, which darkens the whole display image, if it is too dark (below the range), the whole picture is brightened.

Macrovision puts in signals much brighter than the legal range and also other signals below the legal range. This makes the picture randomly go bright and dark and flicker from time to time.

The player actually has no way of detecting whether or not there is a recording deviced attached. I have a creative labs DXR3 card, I also have remote selector which can disable macrovision.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well anyway I've been able to disable Macrovision for a Chronetel chip (with limmited success), Brooktree, and DXR2. It is possible to do it with the Rage Theater chip by using a pre-Macrovision player or a Macrovision Disabled player, but I haven't had any luck so far.

Back to you Tom...

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Try these sites:

<A HREF="http://www.visualdomain.net/" target="_new">http://www.visualdomain.net/</A>
<A HREF="http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/region.html" target="_new">http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/region.html</A>