Windows XP Home Edition - No User Icons in Windows XP Logi..

Andrew

Hi,

This morning I started up my PC (windows XP Home with all patches,
including the patches that came out yesterday) and I was greeted with
the Login screen. The Login window does not normally appear. The
problem is this: no icons appear so I can't access my machine.

Note: I was playing with Windows UI Tweak power tool yesterday that MS
provides...I wonder if I changed the wrong option.

Thinking that accessing the machine via Safe Mode would avoid the login
screen, I tried to go into Windows safe mode, but I am having problems
with that approach. Not sure if this would get me around the windows
login screen...

Anyway, I can get the windows screen to appear where you can select
either safe mode, or the normal windows start. The highlighted option
is the normal windows start mode. The arrows on my keyboard are not
giving me the ability to switch choices....so the machine loads normal
windows and the login window appears.

I tried the keyboard on another machine and it works fine. The same
keyboard arrowkeys work fine in the bios window...

Thanks for your help!

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

At the Welcome screen, or Logon screen, you can tap Ctrl/Alt/Delete to bring
up the classic logon dialog box. Enter your account name and password, and
you should be able to get back in. Hopefully your keyboard will work
properly at that point. If you still have problems using this method, and
you cant navigate the advanced startup screen, then your only other option
is a repair install or the recovery console.

Brian P.
A+, Network+, MCP

"Andrew" <andrewmoran@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This morning I started up my PC (windows XP Home with all patches,
> including the patches that came out yesterday) and I was greeted with
> the Login screen. The Login window does not normally appear. The
> problem is this: no icons appear so I can't access my machine.
>
> Note: I was playing with Windows UI Tweak power tool yesterday that MS
> provides...I wonder if I changed the wrong option.
>
> Thinking that accessing the machine via Safe Mode would avoid the login
> screen, I tried to go into Windows safe mode, but I am having problems
> with that approach. Not sure if this would get me around the windows
> login screen...
>
> Anyway, I can get the windows screen to appear where you can select
> either safe mode, or the normal windows start. The highlighted option
> is the normal windows start mode. The arrows on my keyboard are not
> giving me the ability to switch choices....so the machine loads normal
> windows and the login window appears.
>
> I tried the keyboard on another machine and it works fine. The same
> keyboard arrowkeys work fine in the bios window...
>
> Thanks for your help!

TRENDING THREADS