PCI graphics cards on Dimension 3000

My dad, a great guy sometimes overwhelmed by computers, went out and
replaced my broken down 2 gig P4 system with 3GHz Dimension 3000.
Unfortunately, it looks like the new machine has less potential for
graphics upgrade than the machine it replaced - itself a 3.5 year old
machine - lacking both the new PCI-e slot or the old AGP slot. This
isn't a post about the wisdom of Dell's restrictive MoBo architecture,
or the agony of integrated graphics or sound. There's plenty of that
on usenet already.

I simply want to know if anybody's had any reasonable degree of luck
adding some high end PCI graphics card to their non AGP/PCI-e machine.
Will PCI cards provide any improvement over "Intel Extreme"? Will they
conflict with the on-board graphics set? I'm not expecting something
comparable to AGP, but I'd like to know I can exceed what I already
have.
30 answers Last reply
More about graphics cards dimension 3000

    "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
    > My dad, a great guy sometimes overwhelmed by computers, went out and
    > replaced my broken down 2 gig P4 system with 3GHz Dimension 3000.
    > Unfortunately, it looks like the new machine has less potential for
    > graphics upgrade than the machine it replaced - itself a 3.5 year old
    > machine - lacking both the new PCI-e slot or the old AGP slot. This
    > isn't a post about the wisdom of Dell's restrictive MoBo architecture,
    > or the agony of integrated graphics or sound. There's plenty of that
    > on usenet already.
    >
    > I simply want to know if anybody's had any reasonable degree of luck
    > adding some high end PCI graphics card to their non AGP/PCI-e machine.
    > Will PCI cards provide any improvement over "Intel Extreme"? Will they
    > conflict with the on-board graphics set? I'm not expecting something
    > comparable to AGP, but I'd like to know I can exceed what I already
    > have.

    Well, I run a 128MB nVidia PCI card in my 2400 and it works fine. I don't do
    games, though, just did it for compatibility with Snapstream's Beyond TV.

    As for Dell's wisdom, it seems spot on to me. Entry level machine at entry
    level pricing.

    Another option, depending on your timing, is to return the machine. You
    have 21 days from the invoice date. Return it and order a 4700 or 8400.
    Consider a refurb from outlet.dell.com to stay in the price range.

    Tom

    You have 21 days from invoice date to return it. Get a 4700 or better.

    On 2 Jun 2005 13:08:22 -0700, "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote:

    >My dad, a great guy sometimes overwhelmed by computers, went out and
    >replaced my broken down 2 gig P4 system with 3GHz Dimension 3000.
    >Unfortunately, it looks like the new machine has less potential for
    >graphics upgrade than the machine it replaced - itself a 3.5 year old
    >machine - lacking both the new PCI-e slot or the old AGP slot. This
    >isn't a post about the wisdom of Dell's restrictive MoBo architecture,
    >or the agony of integrated graphics or sound. There's plenty of that
    >on usenet already.
    >
    >I simply want to know if anybody's had any reasonable degree of luck
    >adding some high end PCI graphics card to their non AGP/PCI-e machine.
    >Will PCI cards provide any improvement over "Intel Extreme"? Will they
    >conflict with the on-board graphics set? I'm not expecting something
    >comparable to AGP, but I'd like to know I can exceed what I already
    >have.

    I installed a Nivdia PCI FX5200 128 Meg card in my Dimension 2400 for
    the same reason. Not a whole lot of improvement, and in just a hair
    over a year, the car by PNY with a Lifetime Guarantee is out of
    warranty. The reason is that PCI stuff is obsolete as far as high
    end video cards go. Send the PC back and get something with a PCI
    Express Card or bus.

    Bob

    "Dell's restrictive MoBo architecture". Not exactly. The Dimension 3000 is a
    low-end computer, so it has only on-board graphics with no AGP slot. The
    Dimension 4000-series and 8000-series are more expensive and they have AGP
    slots. Still, Intel's Extreme Graphics is pretty good, except for gaming.

    .... Ben Myers

    FatKat wrote:
    > My dad, a great guy sometimes overwhelmed by computers, went out and
    > replaced my broken down 2 gig P4 system with 3GHz Dimension 3000.
    > Unfortunately, it looks like the new machine has less potential for
    > graphics upgrade than the machine it replaced - itself a 3.5 year old
    > machine - lacking both the new PCI-e slot or the old AGP slot. This
    > isn't a post about the wisdom of Dell's restrictive MoBo architecture,
    > or the agony of integrated graphics or sound. There's plenty of that
    > on usenet already.
    >
    > I simply want to know if anybody's had any reasonable degree of luck
    > adding some high end PCI graphics card to their non AGP/PCI-e machine.
    > Will PCI cards provide any improvement over "Intel Extreme"? Will they
    > conflict with the on-board graphics set? I'm not expecting something
    > comparable to AGP, but I'd like to know I can exceed what I already
    > have.

    I have put a Radeon 7000 PCI 64 meg graphics card in my 3000 and haven't
    met with a great deal of success. First off I had to install the Radeon
    card in the machine but still connect the monitor up to the itegrated
    onboard card to get something to display. Once i had done that I got
    into device manager and disenabled the onboard graphics. Then I
    connected the monitor up to the newly installed PCI card and re-booted
    the pc. Upon rebooting the new Radeon card did its thing and the display
    worked. Also I noticed after the reboot that the integrated garaphics
    that I had disabled was now enabled and now both graphics cards are
    enabled and don't conflict with each other.
    I have to say though if I had the option I would return the machine and
    upgrade to one that has PCIe as although the Radeon card is working it
    aint working as well as it should.
    Hope this helps
    ricardo

    the chaintech Geforce FX5200 128MB 128-bit DDR is an excellent 128mb
    card for $70 for a pci slot.
    write me if you have any specific ques about it.

    i bought mine at newegg.com but also found at a few other sites.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145055

    i would send back that 3000 computer because for $50 more, you could get
    the 4700 model with better graphic support, faster memory, and faster
    hard drives!!!

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 23:28:24 -0400, Jay B <jayb@audiman.net> wrote:

    >the chaintech Geforce FX5200 128MB 128-bit DDR is an excellent 128mb
    >card for $70 for a pci slot.
    >write me if you have any specific ques about it.
    >
    >i bought mine at newegg.com but also found at a few other sites.
    >
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145055
    >

    >i would send back that 3000 computer because for $50 more, you could get
    >the 4700 model with better graphic support, faster memory, and faster
    >hard drives!!!

    The problem with a PCI bus card ( not PCI express) is that the PCI bus
    has a real limiting factor on how fast you can process your graphics.
    So no matter how good the card is, it will choke on the bus. Like
    running a 6" water main into a piece of 1/4" copper tubing and then
    into your house.

    Bob

    ricardo wrote:
    > FatKat wrote:
    > > My dad, a great guy sometimes overwhelmed by computers, went out and
    > > replaced my broken down 2 gig P4 system with 3GHz Dimension 3000.
    > > Unfortunately, it looks like the new machine has less potential for
    > > graphics upgrade than the machine it replaced - itself a 3.5 year old
    > > machine - lacking both the new PCI-e slot or the old AGP slot. This
    > > isn't a post about the wisdom of Dell's restrictive MoBo architecture,
    > > or the agony of integrated graphics or sound. There's plenty of that
    > > on usenet already.
    > >
    > > I simply want to know if anybody's had any reasonable degree of luck
    > > adding some high end PCI graphics card to their non AGP/PCI-e machine.
    > > Will PCI cards provide any improvement over "Intel Extreme"? Will they
    > > conflict with the on-board graphics set? I'm not expecting something
    > > comparable to AGP, but I'd like to know I can exceed what I already
    > > have.
    > >
    > I have put a Radeon 7000 PCI 64 meg graphics card in my 3000 and haven't
    > met with a great deal of success.

    >From what I've seen around here, you're not likely to seen any
    improvement unless you use a 128 meg card. The FX 5700 LE seems to be
    the card of choice according to CW. Anything less than 128 won't be
    enough, while more than 128 meg won't get past the bottleneck of the
    PCI bus. man, to think that a 12 meg 3DFx card was once the most I had
    to look forward to.

    > First off I had to install the Radeon
    > card in the machine but still connect the monitor up to the itegrated
    > onboard card to get something to display. Once i had done that I got
    > into device manager and disenabled the onboard graphics. Then I
    > connected the monitor up to the newly installed PCI card and re-booted
    > the pc.

    This is what I don't understand. The original 3D cards weren't
    supposed to replace your existing graphics hardware - just augment it.
    So instead of messing with jumper settings or mess with the device
    manager, you just use a pass-through cable. When I put in my Monster
    Voodoo2, it was auto-detected immediately. I thought that was the
    saving grace of PCI - data-transfer would never match AGP, but what you
    put in was taken in seamlessly. I would have thought that that fact
    remained as true 5 years later - but then again, I'm still getting over
    the fact that my brand new computer has less upgradability than the one
    I got in 2001. What's next? A stereo deck with an 8-track? Cars w/o
    power doors and locks?

    > Upon rebooting the new Radeon card did its thing and the display
    > worked. Also I noticed after the reboot that the integrated garaphics
    > that I had disabled was now enabled and now both graphics cards are
    > enabled and don't conflict with each other.

    Which doesn't suprise me. I've got an extra sound card on my board - I
    haven't got the sound to work yet, but the game port seems to function
    as advertized.

    > I have to say though if I had the option I would return the machine and
    > upgrade to one that has PCIe as although the Radeon card is working it
    > aint working as well as it should.
    > Hope this helps
    > ricardo

    Thanks for the response. Good luck whatever you decide.

> [...]
    > I got in 2001. What's next? A stereo deck with an 8-track? Cars w/o
    > power doors and locks?
    >
    >> Upon rebooting the new Radeon card did its thing and the display
    >> worked. Also I noticed after the reboot that the integrated garaphics
    >> that I had disabled was now enabled and now both graphics cards are
    >> enabled and don't conflict with each other.
    >
    > Which doesn't suprise me. I've got an extra sound card on my board - I
    > haven't got the sound to work yet, but the game port seems to function
    > as advertized.
    >
    >> I have to say though if I had the option I would return the machine and
    >> upgrade to one that has PCIe as although the Radeon card is working it
    >> aint working as well as it should.
    >> Hope this helps
    >> ricardo
    >
    > Thanks for the response. Good luck whatever you decide.

    I'm confused. If you have a 1999 BMW and then buy a 2005 Hyundai, then
    you're going backwards with a newer car.

    If you buy a Dimension 2400 or 3000, you bought a Hyundai -- perhaps
    reliable transportation, but no BMW.

    If you wanted a PCIe slot, then a 4700 or an 8400 or an XPS were all
    available to you. Sorry you made a bad choice.

    Tom

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 23:12:31 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    >"FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> ricardo wrote:

    >>> I have put a Radeon 7000 PCI 64 meg graphics card in my 3000 and haven't
    >>> met with a great deal of success.
    >>
    >>>From what I've seen around here, you're not likely to seen any
    >> improvement unless you use a 128 meg card. The FX 5700 LE seems to be
    >> the card of choice according to CW. Anything less than 128 won't be
    >> enough, while more than 128 meg won't get past the bottleneck of the
    >> PCI bus. man, to think that a 12 meg 3DFx card was once the most I had
    >> to look forward to.
    >>
    >>> First off I had to install the Radeon
    >>> card in the machine but still connect the monitor up to the itegrated
    >>> onboard card to get something to display. Once i had done that I got
    >>> into device manager and disenabled the onboard graphics. Then I
    >>> connected the monitor up to the newly installed PCI card and re-booted
    >>> the pc.
    >>
    >> This is what I don't understand. The original 3D cards weren't
    >> supposed to replace your existing graphics hardware - just augment it.
    >> So instead of messing with jumper settings or mess with the device
    >> manager, you just use a pass-through cable. When I put in my Monster
    >> Voodoo2, it was auto-detected immediately. I thought that was the
    >> saving grace of PCI - data-transfer would never match AGP, but what you
    >> put in was taken in seamlessly. I would have thought that that fact
    >> remained as true 5 years later - but then again, I'm still getting over
    >> the fact that my brand new computer has less upgradability than the one
    >> I got in 2001. What's next? A stereo deck with an 8-track? Cars w/o
    >> power doors and locks?
    >>
    >>> Upon rebooting the new Radeon card did its thing and the display
    >>> worked. Also I noticed after the reboot that the integrated garaphics
    >>> that I had disabled was now enabled and now both graphics cards are
    >>> enabled and don't conflict with each other.
    >>
    >> Which doesn't suprise me. I've got an extra sound card on my board - I
    >> haven't got the sound to work yet, but the game port seems to function
    >> as advertized.
    >>
    >>> I have to say though if I had the option I would return the machine and
    >>> upgrade to one that has PCIe as although the Radeon card is working it
    >>> aint working as well as it should.
    >>> Hope this helps
    >>> ricardo
    >>
    >> Thanks for the response. Good luck whatever you decide.
    >>

    >I'm confused. If you have a 1999 BMW and then buy a 2005 Hyundai, then
    >you're going backwards with a newer car.
    >
    >If you buy a Dimension 2400 or 3000, you bought a Hyundai -- perhaps
    >reliable transportation, but no BMW.
    >
    >If you wanted a PCIe slot, then a 4700 or an 8400 or an XPS were all
    >available to you. Sorry you made a bad choice.
    >
    >Tom

    One difference in the Hyundai vs BMW, the BMW is much more likely to
    break down and need service.... Per extensive Consumer reports poll
    of owners of the 2 vehicle brands.

    "Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > One difference in the Hyundai vs BMW, the BMW is much more likely to
    > break down and need service.... Per extensive Consumer reports poll
    > of owners of the 2 vehicle brands.

    Perhaps, although my 1999 BMW has been pretty reliable.

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > ricardo wrote:

    > >> I have put a Radeon 7000 PCI 64 meg graphics card in my 3000 and haven't
    > >> met with a great deal of success.
    > >
    > >>From what I've seen around here, you're not likely to seen any
    > > improvement unless you use a 128 meg card. The FX 5700 LE seems to be
    > > the card of choice according to CW. Anything less than 128 won't be
    > > enough, while more than 128 meg won't get past the bottleneck of the
    > > PCI bus. man, to think that a 12 meg 3DFx card was once the most I had
    > > to look forward to.
    > >
    > >> First off I had to install the Radeon
    > >> card in the machine but still connect the monitor up to the itegrated
    > >> onboard card to get something to display. Once i had done that I got
    > >> into device manager and disenabled the onboard graphics. Then I
    > >> connected the monitor up to the newly installed PCI card and re-booted
    > >> the pc.
    > >
    > > This is what I don't understand. The original 3D cards weren't
    > > supposed to replace your existing graphics hardware - just augment it.
    > > So instead of messing with jumper settings or mess with the device
    > > manager, you just use a pass-through cable. When I put in my Monster
    > > Voodoo2, it was auto-detected immediately. I thought that was the
    > > saving grace of PCI - data-transfer would never match AGP, but what you
    > > put in was taken in seamlessly. I would have thought that that fact
    > > remained as true 5 years later - but then again, I'm still getting over
    > > the fact that my brand new computer has less upgradability than the one
    > > I got in 2001. What's next? A stereo deck with an 8-track? Cars w/o
    > > power doors and locks?
    > >
    > >> Upon rebooting the new Radeon card did its thing and the display
    > >> worked. Also I noticed after the reboot that the integrated garaphics
    > >> that I had disabled was now enabled and now both graphics cards are
    > >> enabled and don't conflict with each other.
    > >
    > > Which doesn't suprise me. I've got an extra sound card on my board - I
    > > haven't got the sound to work yet, but the game port seems to function
    > > as advertized.
    > >
    > >> I have to say though if I had the option I would return the machine and
    > >> upgrade to one that has PCIe as although the Radeon card is working it
    > >> aint working as well as it should.
    > >> Hope this helps
    > >> ricardo
    > >
    > > Thanks for the response. Good luck whatever you decide.
    > >

    > I'm confused. If you have a 1999 BMW and then buy a 2005 Hyundai, then
    > you're going backwards with a newer car.

    This is lost on me - mostly because I'm not into trophy cars. I drove
    a rental Hyundai once and found it quite peppy. Though I'm sure I'd
    miss some of the bells and whistles that come with a BMW (GPS,
    multi-disk CD player, bullet-proof glass, rearward looking security
    cam), and because I'm not the Chuck Yeager of cars, that extra
    performance would be lost on me. The analogy is also somewhat
    misplaced because the core technology of automobiles doesn't advance
    from year to year as that for computers does (odometer aside, you
    seldom have to worry about accidentally buying yesterday's car at
    today's prices), and cosmetics aside, who really upgrades their cars?
    Getting that new Hyundai doesn't put you behind an older BMW.

    > If you buy a Dimension 2400 or 3000, you bought a Hyundai -- perhaps
    > reliable transportation, but no BMW.

    I don't see the analogy. If you buy a 3000, you're getting something
    made for the 3rd world car with the veneer of something higher class.
    No frills in a Dell case with color-coded labels.

    > If you wanted a PCIe slot, then a 4700 or an 8400 or an XPS were all
    > available to you. Sorry you made a bad choice.

    Could you go back and find where I even suggested I wanted PCI-e? All
    I wanted was the same AGP slot I had on my 2001 machine or, barring
    that, a simple and vendor-supported option to replace the existing mobo
    with a new one that I'd be willing to pay for and install myself. I
    didn't choose this machine, and I can't very well go back and ask my
    dad for the invoice, telling him that he doesn't know how to buy a PC.

    FatKat wrote:
    >Could you go back and find where I even suggested I wanted PCI-e? All
    >I wanted was the same AGP slot I had on my 2001 machine or, barring
    >that, a simple and vendor-supported option to replace the existing mobo
    >with a new one that I'd be willing to pay for and install myself. I
    >didn't choose this machine, and I can't very well go back and ask my
    >dad for the invoice, telling him that he doesn't know how to buy a PC.
    If you got this computer as a gift why be so concerned about it not
    being
    EXACTLY what YOU would of ordered. Keep in mind Dell does not sell
    computer with AGP slots AT ALL anymore. Add a regular pci video card
    or use as is or even sell it but jeez its not Dells or yours or
    anybodys fault
    its not exactly what you wanted. You option of purchasing a new mother
    board
    just does not make sense (would cost a large percentage of a new
    computer price).
    There are many people that would be very greatful to have a brand new
    computer regardless of model or specs as a gift. Show a little
    appreciation
    and gratefulness already.
    Dave

    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >> "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message

    > Could you go back and find where I even suggested I wanted PCI-e? All
    > I wanted was the same AGP slot I had on my 2001 machine or, barring
    > that, a simple and vendor-supported option to replace the existing mobo
    > with a new one that I'd be willing to pay for and install myself. I
    > didn't choose this machine, and I can't very well go back and ask my
    > dad for the invoice, telling him that he doesn't know how to buy a PC.

    Then you can't buy a current Dell machine. They don't offer a machine with
    AGP anymore. Period.

    Too bad you're so out of touch. Did you really make a decision to buy this
    machine and then regret your decision? Did someone from Dell drop by your
    house and FORCE you to buy their entry level model?

    Did you buy a Hyundai and then complain it didn't have a navigation system?

    Maybe the 1999 BMW was manufactured without Windows? That would explain
    everything as to why the newer BMWs are not as reliable... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 00:02:56 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

    >"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> One difference in the Hyundai vs BMW, the BMW is much more likely to
    >> break down and need service.... Per extensive Consumer reports poll
    >> of owners of the 2 vehicle brands.
    >
    >Perhaps, although my 1999 BMW has been pretty reliable.

    Purely DOS based.
    > Maybe the 1999 BMW was manufactured without Windows? That would explain
    > everything as to why the newer BMWs are not as reliable... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 00:02:56 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> One difference in the Hyundai vs BMW, the BMW is much more likely to
    >>> break down and need service.... Per extensive Consumer reports poll
    >>> of owners of the 2 vehicle brands.
    >>
    >>Perhaps, although my 1999 BMW has been pretty reliable.

    That's it then! ... Ben Myers

    David wrote:
    > FatKat wrote:
    > >Could you go back and find where I even suggested I wanted PCI-e? All
    > >I wanted was the same AGP slot I had on my 2001 machine or, barring
    > >that, a simple and vendor-supported option to replace the existing mobo
    > >with a new one that I'd be willing to pay for and install myself. I
    > >didn't choose this machine, and I can't very well go back and ask my
    > >dad for the invoice, telling him that he doesn't know how to buy a PC.

    > If you got this computer as a gift why be so concerned about it not
    > being EXACTLY what YOU would of ordered.

    It's nowhere near what I would have ordered.

    > Keep in mind Dell does not sell computer with AGP slots AT ALL
    > anymore.

    Which I can understand in principle. But it's not like they're
    abandoning AGP purely for PCI-e in the name of progress when they sell
    systems that can't take cards of either type. This isn't a case of
    being asked to pay for a MoBo with something exotic like PCI-e that I
    might not ever need. It's about a machine that can't even use my 3
    year old GeForce3.

    > Add a regular pci video card

    Up until 2 months ago, my 64 MB GF3 was a regular video card. I'm
    planning on picking up the PCI version of the 5700LE. In NG threads
    where I can inquire about the upgrade potential of my 3000 w/o being
    derided as a complainer, the 5700LE seems to be the card I hear the
    warmest recommendations about.

    > or use as is or even sell it but jeez its not Dells or yours or
    > anybodys fault its not exactly what you wanted.

    Who said anything about "fault"? I'm just trying to get my machine to
    perform measurably better than the one it replaced. It's not like I'm
    even trying to overclock the thing.

    > You option of purchasing a new mother board just does not make sense
    > (would cost a large percentage of a new computer price).

    Thanks for answering the principle question...eventually.

    > There are many people that would be very greatful to have a brand new
    > computer regardless of model or specs as a gift. Show a little
    > appreciation and gratefulness already.

    Dave's right. I'm so sorry I even considered asking how I can spend my
    own money to upgrade my own machine. I should be forced to apologize
    to Dell on every NG thread I ever contributed to - warning youngsters
    of computerland that it's more important to be BOTH appreciative AND
    grateful for a lackluster gift than it is to spend one's own money and
    time to make it something worth keeping.

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > Maybe the 1999 BMW was manufactured without Windows? That would explain
    > everything as to why the newer BMWs are not as reliable... Ben Myers

    Manufactured without Windows? Should make it *nore* reliable, not less,
    wouldn't it?

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > Purely DOS based.

    Wasn't it GAS based?

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Tom Scales wrote:
    > >> "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > Could you go back and find where I even suggested I wanted PCI-e? All
    > > I wanted was the same AGP slot I had on my 2001 machine or, barring
    > > that, a simple and vendor-supported option to replace the existing mobo
    > > with a new one that I'd be willing to pay for and install myself. I
    > > didn't choose this machine, and I can't very well go back and ask my
    > > dad for the invoice, telling him that he doesn't know how to buy a PC.
    > >

    > Then you can't buy a current Dell machine. They don't offer a machine with
    > AGP anymore. Period.

    But apparently they have no problem selling machines that fall even
    below AGP, making sure that the sedate integrated graphics chipset
    chosen for their machines has the pleasantly innocuous "Intel Extreme"
    name.

    > Too bad you're so out of touch. Did you really make a decision to buy this
    > machine and then regret your decision?

    Speaking of out of touch, could you go back and review my OP if you're
    going to criticize. I didn't buy this machine - it was a gift. If I
    had purchased it, I would have taken my lumps, spent the cash to
    replace/upgrade it, and posted a few NG messages warning others in the
    market to avoid my experience. Because it was a gift, it's just going
    to look a bit awkward if it's suddenly replaced.

    > Did someone from Dell drop by your house and FORCE you to buy their entry
    > level model?

    Wait - I knew you sounded familiar!!! "Intel Extreme" my ass!!!!

    > Did you buy a Hyundai and then complain it didn't have a navigation system?

    Oh, the Hyundai analogy...again. Boy, it just gets funnier every time
    I hear it. Okay - the Hyundai thing seems to go like this. I buy a
    Hyundai to replace my older BMW (assuming that that sort of thing
    happens with any sort of regularity - I've never owned either make).
    The Hyundai is newer, but somehow more backward than the BMW. The BMW
    had a GPS system but the Hyundai does not. Now putting aside the
    plausibility that anybody who ever owned a GPS-equipped BMW would be in
    the market for any model of Hyundai regardless of its options, the
    analogy has its problems.

    First, my last PC wasn't a BMW - it wasn't even a Saab. I'm not sure
    what it was, but it had no brand name which matters much to all those
    Dell fans who think you can't get support with a non-name machine. I'd
    say it was an import from some eastern country that doesn't exist any
    more. It was at one point extremely cranky and not quite reliable.
    But I learned its limits and its potential and a shaky 1st year was
    followed by nearly 3 smooth ones. So it's not like my expectations
    were unrealistically boosted.

    The next problem is that the analogy's comparison of AGP to GPS is
    somewhat forced - why compare it to something as exotic as GPS?. My
    '93 Explorer came with an AM/FM radio & cassette player. Already the
    compact cassette is fading into history - supplanted by the CD.
    Unless, of course, I buy a Hyundai - which, according to the analogy,
    will be stuck with tape players through the mid-point of the century.
    AGP has been around for about 8 years - even on such hoary boards as
    the Socket 7. GPS has been around for years, but how many cars really
    had them? Who's to say that AGP is any less a standard item than power
    locks and windows?

    Thanks.

    Capt Bob wrote:
    > Like running a 6" water main into a piece of 1/4" copper tubing and then
    > into your house.

    Yeah, that would be a totally messed up demonstration of Bernoulli's
    Equation. It would probably mess up the house also.

    > Bob

    Why are you wasting time and bandwidth, with
    these endless bleats? Grow up and contribute
    something useful or go away. We heard you already.

    "RJ" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Why are you wasting time and bandwidth, with
    > these endless bleats? Grow up and contribute
    > something useful or go away. We heard you already.

    <snip>

    Dude, if you're gonna crack on him for bandwidth at least snip out the
    considerable comments like so. :-)

    Stew
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Bernoulli's Equation....wasn't that the movie with Nicholas Cage and...Oh
    wait a second. Sorry, I was thinking of Archimedes The Sandreckoner with
    Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. No wait a second....

    Regards,
    John O.

    > Capt Bob wrote:
    >> Like running a 6" water main into a piece of 1/4" copper tubing and then
    >> into your house.
    >
    > Yeah, that would be a totally messed up demonstration of Bernoulli's
    > Equation. It would probably mess up the house also.
    >>
    >> Bob

  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I thought maybe the 2004 BMW ran Windows. I meant newer than 1999... Ben

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 09:29:37 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
    <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe the 1999 BMW was manufactured without Windows? That would explain
    >> everything as to why the newer BMWs are not as reliable... Ben Myers
    >
    >Manufactured without Windows? Should make it *nore* reliable, not less,
    >wouldn't it?
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote:

    >Speaking of out of touch, could you go back and review my OP if you're
    >going to criticize. I didn't buy this machine - it was a gift. If I
    >had purchased it, I would have taken my lumps, spent the cash to
    >replace/upgrade it, and posted a few NG messages warning others in the
    >market to avoid my experience. Because it was a gift, it's just going
    >to look a bit awkward if it's suddenly replaced.

    Were you, or the misguided person(s) who gave you that 3000. not
    out of touch, you/he/she/they would know that, like its other
    major competitors - Gateway, HP/Compaq, IBM - Dell has arranged
    its home/home office/small business desktop computer lines into
    three tiers, the 2xxx/now 3000 series of basic entry-level
    computers, the 4xxxx series of mid-level desktops, and the
    8xxx/soon to be or now 9000 series of higher level desktops.

    Had your donor taken the time to read the info readily available
    on the Dell website pages featuring the 3000, they would have
    seen by the technical specs that it was an entry-level computer
    with integrated graphics, with no AGP/PCI-E slot, limited empty
    PCI slots, no second internal drive bay, etc, etc, etc. Then,
    knowing you as well as I would hope they know you, they could
    have gone up to the 4xxx or 8xxx Dell, which offer increasing
    flexibility in both pre- and post-purchase configuration/upgrade
    potential with more slots, drive bays, etc, as shown in /their
    technical specs..

    Dell [or Gateway, or HP/Compaq, or ...] can't make anyone *read*
    the information they put on their web pages about any of their
    computer models. All they can do, and have done, is make it
    available to be read by anyone computer literate enough to know
    that they should /always/ read the specs on any computer they are
    considering for purchase for themselves or as a gift..
    --
    OJ III
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Speaking of out of touch, could you go back and review my OP if you're
    > >going to criticize. I didn't buy this machine - it was a gift. If I
    > >had purchased it, I would have taken my lumps, spent the cash to
    > >replace/upgrade it, and posted a few NG messages warning others in the
    > >market to avoid my experience. Because it was a gift, it's just going
    > >to look a bit awkward if it's suddenly replaced.
    >
    > Were you, or the misguided person(s) who gave you that 3000. not
    > out of touch, you/he/she/they would know that, like its other
    > major competitors - Gateway, HP/Compaq, IBM - Dell has arranged
    > its home/home office/small business desktop computer lines into
    > three tiers, the 2xxx/now 3000 series of basic entry-level
    > computers, the 4xxxx series of mid-level desktops, and the
    > 8xxx/soon to be or now 9000 series of higher level desktops.
    >
    > Had your donor taken the time to read the info readily available
    > on the Dell website pages featuring the 3000, they would have
    > seen by the technical specs that it was an entry-level computer
    > with integrated graphics, with no AGP/PCI-E slot, limited empty
    > PCI slots, no second internal drive bay, etc, etc, etc. Then,
    > knowing you as well as I would hope they know you, they could
    > have gone up to the 4xxx or 8xxx Dell, which offer increasing
    > flexibility in both pre- and post-purchase configuration/upgrade
    > potential with more slots, drive bays, etc, as shown in /their
    > technical specs..
    >
    > Dell [or Gateway, or HP/Compaq, or ...] can't make anyone *read*
    > the information they put on their web pages about any of their
    > computer models. All they can do, and have done, is make it
    > available to be read by anyone computer literate enough to know
    > that they should /always/ read the specs on any computer they are
    > considering for purchase for themselves or as a gift..
    > --
    > OJ III
    > [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
    > Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

    I'd categorize them as:
    Level 1 - Disposal/Non-upgradeable, every corner cut to lower price,
    basic beginner use, no demanding games.
    Level 2 - Semi-Upgradeable, may have slightly lower performance components,
    some corners cut but you can pay to uncut them.
    Level 3 - Upgradeable, latest technology, handles demanding applications.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote:

    >"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >> "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote:

    [Stuff snipped throughout, including most of FatKat's stuff]

    >> >... I didn't buy this machine - it was a gift. If I
    >> >had purchased it, I would have taken my lumps, spent the cash to
    >> >replace/upgrade it, and posted a few NG messages warning others in the
    >> >market to avoid my experience. Because it was a gift, it's just going
    >> >to look a bit awkward if it's suddenly replaced.

    >> ... like its other
    >> major competitors - Gateway, HP/Compaq, IBM - Dell has arranged
    >> its home/home office/small business desktop computer lines into
    >> three tiers, the 2xxx/now 3000 series of basic entry-level
    >> computers, the 4xxxx series of mid-level desktops, and the
    >> 8xxx/soon to be or now 9000 series of higher level desktops.

    >I'd categorize them as:
    >Level 1 - Disposal/Non-upgradeable, every corner cut to lower price,
    > basic beginner use, no demanding games.
    >Level 2 - Semi-Upgradeable, may have slightly lower performance components,
    > some corners cut but you can pay to uncut them.
    >Level 3 - Upgradeable, latest technology, handles demanding applications.

    Can't really argue with your categorization. I've had 8xxxs [L3]
    at work, and 4xxx [L2] at home. My first home Dells were the
    then L1 Lxxx series [L733s to be specific]. The 4400 I have at
    home meets all my needs - since I don't do anything exotic with
    it like heavy graphics apps, games, etc. Just basic plain
    vanilla computing. But given program and data file bloat, I
    always want that second internal HD bay for expansion when the
    time comes - as it inevitably does. ;->
    --
    OJ III

Dell Graphics Cards Dimension Computers Product