Teasy, Powervr2: No Kyro III for a while.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Well, teasy should know this already. No Kyro II Ultra till next year either. So, Kyro III is likely to be released no earlier than 2H2002.

Sorry powervr2...

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

G

Well I spoke to the PowerVR guys for an hour at ECTS on Sunday and strangely enough they didn't mention this.

EDIT: Ah I see over at the Beyond3d forum that it was some German mag that say that David Harold said this at ECTS: "Kyro II sells that well right now, so that we don't see any reason to bring a new product on the market".

As I said I had an hour long meeting with David at ECTS and it was impossible to get much info from him about Kyro III and he wouldn't even admit that Kyro II Ultra even exsisted. Put that together with the fact that David works for IMGTEC who don't actually decide on whether/when a product should be released (They just licence the design to ST and they actually sell the product). and I just don't beleive that David said that to this German mag.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Teasy on 09/03/01 07:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Negaverse23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Guess it requires a 2.5+GHz CPU to run. :eek:
**cough**emulator**cough**

<font color=red>It is the weakest link. They are not ready yet many have tried and failed with it.</font color=red>

G

Guess it requires a 2.5+GHz CPU to run.
**cough**emulator**cough**

I'm not sure what you mean here??

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Heres a news story on the delay. Haven't I always said ImgTec don't know how to stick to schedules. Because of the Chip design, STM can't get that much extra juice out of it to release the Ultra. Their excuse is that they don't need to release anything new even though their profits have fallen since last quarter.

Desperate as they are, they even made their sdk public in hopes of getting a larger user base.

<A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/21492.html" target="_new">http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/21492.html</A>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
ATi is ready to release soon. Final drivers almost done. the Radeon 8500 pre-orders are coming from a lot of stores now. Look at Pricewatch.com can pre-order them now.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

G

Oh WOW a theregister "news story" (read rumour story). The facts are nobody at IMGTEC has anounced the Kyro III or Ultra neither have they said it will be delayed. I was at ECTS and talked to them for an hour and they were keeping very quite on this topic so IMO its rubbish, were's your reasoning for beleiving these unsubstantiated rumours?

<< Haven't I always said ImgTec don't know how to stick to schedules. Because of the Chip design, STM can't get that much extra juice out of it to release the Ultra. Their excuse is that they don't need to release anything new even though their profits have fallen since last quarter. >>

Maybe you've said that, I really can't remember but using a German site that consistently makes up stuff and has been proved to be lying in the past as well as one of the biggest rumour mills in the world (the register) to "prove" your point which is based on no actual logic or facts in the first place is nothing short of assinine.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
So are you saying that IMGTEC has no future plans? Or have admitted nothing about its future plans? At least with ATI we knew that some sort of improved Radeon was going to be releases this year. Since we are in September and IMGTEC hasn't committed to anything (as far as I know) then the KyroII is it for this year and next year is one big question. If you know anything substantial about a future chip from IMGTEC please let us know we are all interested. Thanks.

G

Well no its not as if they have no future plans its just they haven't officially (or un-officially) announced a date for the new chip to be released and AFAIK they certainly haven't mentioned a delay (how can they mention a delay anyway if its not announced??). It was officially announced that ST Micro have now licenced the designs for PowerVR series 4 and 5 (both totally knew cores BTW) a few months ago (Kyro was series 3 as you problably know) so ST have seen the designs of these chips and obviously like what they see and they will be released by ST in the future. ST's president did say in an interview that Kyro III will be released either late this year or early next year but as I said the guys at IMGTEC wouldn't tell me a date although they did say "its hard to keep quite on this when ST's president pretty much announces your future chips in an interview" (not word for word as my tape recorder broke during the interview:eek:), but close enough), but still there has been no official announcement but we do know that Kyro III is planned soon. I did find out some interesting price info, it seems that Kyro III will be no more then $200 at release according to IMGTEC (they didn't actually come out and say that but they said it in a round about way). So if IMGTEC admit that what ST's president said about Kyro III is correct (4 pixel pipe HW T&L tiler at 200-250mhz with DDR ram out either late this year or early next year) then can anyone say 3 times higher fillrate and mem bandwidth then Kyro II with HW T&L (which would probably make it about 4 times faster then Kyro II most of the time) for $200 or less?:eek:) We'll see anyway, hopefully we'll get an official announcement soon. But I can say that I don't beleive for a second that David Harold of IMGTEC told that German site thay because Kyro II was selling well they were delaying Kyro II Ultra and Kyro III, he just wouldn't have told them that considering how right lipped he was in our meeting.

BTW whats your opinion on the new Radeon? I really like the look of it so far, its got far more exciting stuff then Geforce 3, N-Patch tessalation looks nice (although may not look right in all games) and there adaptive FSAA could be the best AA implimentation so far (maybe better looking then Voodoo5). The card really looks so much more feature rich then Geforce 3, I just couldn't get excited about the Geforce 3 but the Radeon 8500 is a different story. They just need to get drivers up to scratch fast.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Don't you find it funny how you seem to discard the information presented by other respectable sites such as the TheInquirer and TheRegister as rhumours while you spread rhumours of your own? Why should yours be any more valid than theirs?

In any case, wasn't it only a few months ago all the powervr fanboys were talking of a october release of the Kyro III? Were you not amongst that crowd. (You may replace the word 'fanboy' with 'signifier' if it makes it easier for you to answer the question.)

News often travels as unsubstiated rhumours. Thats because the companies intentionally "leak" a word or two. Other times, the experts of the field make educated guesses looking at past trends, the usual practices involved in the production and the usual problems faced. Also, looking at the various interciews. In almost all cases the detail gets warped somwhat but the core fact remains.

The kyro series is more popular amongst enthusiasts (cult) rather than the average consumer. So, this is an effective way of advertising and ensures the crowd feels there is another card just around the corner. So, it promotes product confidence and a increases the feel good factor. Thye're just typical market practices.

(BTW, sorry if I came across a little hostile. You're ok. I was hoping powervr2 would be here. He's atypical fanboy.)

G

<< Don't you find it funny how you seem to discard the information presented by other respectable sites such as the TheInquirer and TheRegister as rhumours while you spread rhumours of your own? Why should yours be any more valid than theirs? >>

Firstly I wouldn't say there respectable sites, there total rumour mills and they never even qualify there stories before posting them. Seondly I didnt' spread any rumours in that last post, which rumours are you refering to? I'm using verified comments (ST's presidents comment was verified by IMGTEC) and comments that were made to me at ECTS by IMGTEC where as you are simply beleiving vague rumours that have no source at all just because you want to beleive them. Where is the registers source?, did it interview ST or IMGTEC and get this info its self or is it a case of reading a rumour from another site and perpetuating that rumour? (I know the answer to that).

<< In any case, wasn't it only a few months ago all the powervr fanboys were talking of a october release of the Kyro III? Were you not amongst that crowd. (You may replace the word 'fanboy' with 'signifier' if it makes it easier for you to answer the question.) >>

Was I?, were did I ever say that Kyro III would be released in October?

<< News often travels as unsubstiated rhumours. Thats because the companies intentionally "leak" a word or two. Other times, the experts of the field make educated guesses looking at past trends, the usual practices involved in the production and the usual problems faced. Also, looking at the various interciews. In almost all cases the detail gets warped somwhat but the core fact remains. >>

Yes rumours do sometimes have truth in them but also they often are total rubbish and you have to have a reason to beleive or disbeleive this sort of rumour as it is vague in the extreme and totally unsubstantiated. What makes you beleive these rumours are true?, personal knowledge of the situation of this new chip?, because if all you have is a vague comment from a German site (why in the hell would David Harold snub the likes of Beyond3d ect and tell their info to a German site??) and some unsupported rumours then thats pretty weak wouldn't you say? There has to be some reason why you choose to beleive these rumours. I'd say the answer to that lies in your first post. Your first post was a clear attempt to rub PowerVR fans noses in the *fact* that the Kyro III is delayed. In other words your bias is the only reason you beleive this rumour. I actually have logic to back my beleif that these are nothing more then rumours and I've already went through that logic in this thread.

<< The kyro series is more popular amongst enthusiasts (cult) rather than the average consumer. So, this is an effective way of advertising and ensures the crowd feels there is another card just around the corner. So, it promotes product confidence and a increases the feel good factor. Thye're just typical market practices. >>

But if IMGTEC/ST spread a rumour to one German site that the Kyro III was actually delayed then how would that make Kyro owners feel good?, it wouldn't make them feel a product was just round the corner, if would make them feel that Kyro III was going to be late. If you haven't announced a product then you don't go around telling people its delayed. If you have something with a solid date on it then your forced to admit to the public that it will be delayed if that situation arrises but with an un-announced product there's no need to do that even if internally it does become delayed nobody needs to know.

<< (BTW, sorry if I came across a little hostile. You're ok. I was hoping powervr2 would be here. He's atypical fanboy.) >>

Well yes your first post did seem like you were saying (nah-nah-nah-nah-nah Kyro III's delayed, HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA) to me:eek:) (mainly putting the smillie on the post gave me that impression). PowerVR2's not so bad, he's just not got a great grasp of the English language (he's Portugese) and so can't convey his points to well, yes he has been very excitable in the past but he's really calmed down recently. I also have no problem with you at all, I just didn't like your first post.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Thanks for the info, that was more refreshing and more believable then the who knows what source info at TheInquirer or Register. It is nice to see the Kyro2 at EB and BestBuy throughout the States. 4 times the speed, WOW! Plus hopefully an improved FSAA (not that the KyroII is bad) and anisotropic filtering. Not sure if the KyroIII or whatever it will be called will have a DX8.1 vertex or pixel shader (as if any game will really need it next year) but a hardware T&L capable chip should really make it scream. Looks like STMicro is effectively competing for video chip sells and it can only get beter, that is if STMicro is timely on the new chips and keeps on pricing them lower then the competition.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
See... My problem here is anything you tell me here is a piece of second hand information, even if you aquired the information straight from the horses mouth. I am getting this information over a public forum, and should this cause a legal problem, all you'll be required to do is remove your post or tomshardware will be asked to do it on you're behalf.

Now, when The Inquirer or The Register post a report, as a news publisher they are required to be able to prove that they're not just posting a load of bollocks unless they strictly mention that on the report. if someone should hold a legal grudge over that report, much damage can be done against them. In fact, too much for its worth.

I am sorry, but I would have to believe them over you in regards to any conflicting reports. The fact is companies do not explicitly give release dates like this until there is an amount of certainty. But hints are often dropped in interviews, which the reporter picks up. If they're there, they're there... if not then it quite possible wasn't the best interview. Something was missed.

For the record, some (not all) of my info did come from xbit labs, who don't have a policy of repeating company press conferences but making their own analysis using past records and the amount of info the company has released. I don't think that is a bad idea and it has worked in the past.

It is true I am not the biggest fan of PowerVR/Videologic. I have always known and said, they have good technology but they lack managorial discipline. I do not have attachments to any company as such, but you have to admire what some of these companies have accomplished. nVidia are only about 8/9 years old, look at them. They're leading the graphics race. Yes, they have had brilliant technology, but it is their market prediction, the sratigic decisions that have brought them to their current position. Vidiologic could have done the same. Pre TNT days PowerVR was way better than anything nVidia had to offer.

In my opinion, they haven't been releasing any "ground breaking" products since the PCX2. I say PCX2 because 1 didn't work properly. I don't think Tiling is all they hyped it too be. If they had a card to seriously compete with the GeForce 3 now, let alone the coming Radeon 8500 and the GeForce3 Ti500, I would be impressed and have a totally different opinion, but that is not likely to happen.

Its not only them, I just find it plainly annoying when BitBoys are on the brink of releasing an nvXX killer. The least I can say about IMGTEC is they released something, and it has impressed a lot of people. Though I am not one of them.

Afterall, everyone is in it to make money. The graphics busines is no longer a prime earning arena for IMGTEC, so they pay less attention to it. That is why I usually have better things to say about products from nVidia or ATI.

G

<< 4 times the speed, WOW! Plus hopefully an improved FSAA (not that the KyroII is bad) and anisotropic filtering. >>

Hopefully free FSAA, its possible with tile based rendering, although I haven't heard anything about this feature being in Kyro III.

<< Not sure if the KyroIII or whatever it will be called will have a DX8.1 vertex or pixel shader (as if any game will really need it next year) but a hardware T&L capable chip should really make it scream. >>

Nope there's been nothing mention by either PowerVR or IMGTEC of pixel/vertex shaders.

holygrenade:

<< See... My problem here is anything you tell me here is a piece of second hand information, even if you aquired the information straight from the horses mouth. I am getting this information over a public forum, and should this cause a legal problem, all you'll be required to do is remove your post or tomshardware will be asked to do it on you're behalf. >>

And if any of those sites made up quotes they too would simply be asked to pull the story or be forced to pull the story by a judge. Also I haven't given much second hand info here. Only that IMGTEC were very tight lipped on Kyro II Ultra and Kyro III (that can be backed up by Dave Baumann of Beyond3d who ws in the interview as well) and that IMGTEC said that the interview with ST's president was real. Anything else I've used in this thread has been public info from other sources or simply logical opinions. Also the very fact that I use my common nickname (the name I use everywhere else including my own PowerVR site) shows that I'm not likely to lie about things that have been said to me by IMGTEC. Doing that in public risks my relationship with IMGTEC.

<< Now, when The Inquirer or The Register post a report, as a news publisher they are required to be able to prove that they're not just posting a load of bollocks unless they strictly mention that on the report. if someone should hold a legal grudge over that report, much damage can be done against them. In fact, too much for its worth. >>

No there not, how in the world could the register prove that the Kyro III is delayed considering they don't actually use any of there own info?. They use other peoples info (X-Bit) and they don't even know 0 if that info is real. Not to mention that there planely wrong. The only way they can possibly say its being delayed is if there going by the release date given by the president of ST. The president of ST said it would be released either late 2001 or early 2002. The register says this "STMicroelectronics' successor to its well-regarded Kyro II chip appears to have been delayed. Not much, mind - instead of an anticipated late 2001 release, we should expect it to surface early 2002.". Hmmm in what way is that a delay?

<< I am sorry, but I would have to believe them over you in regards to any conflicting reports. The fact is companies do not explicitly give release dates like this until there is an amount of certainty. But hints are often dropped in interviews, which the reporter picks up. If they're there, they're there... if not then it quite possible wasn't the best interview. Something was missed. >>

Well considering there saying something that I've been saying for months (Kyro III will be released either late 2001 or early 2002) there's no need to beleive them over me. I don't quite see the relivance of your comment on companies not announcing release dates without an amount of certainty.

<< For the record, some (not all) of my info did come from xbit labs, who don't have a policy of repeating company press conferences but making their own analysis using past records and the amount of info the company has released. I don't think that is a bad idea and it has worked in the past. >>

The info from X-Bit was about Kyro II Ultra which nobody has ever said would be released (nor does anyone really care if it is or not as its simply a faster Kyro II). ST's president said they were just thinking about releasing it. Also your trusted friends at X-Bit do nothing but back me up on Kyro III, they just don't realise it "As far as the upcoming product from STM goes (we mean KYRO 3), which is supposed to be a 0.13-micron chip clocked at 250-300MHz with tile four-pipeline architecture and a hardware T&L unit, its launch is postponed. Instead of the initially planned late 2001, KYRO 3 is now scheduled for early 2002.". As I've already said Kyro III was never scheduled for late 2001, the only person at either IMGTEC or ST that has mentioned Kyro III's released is ST's president and he said that Kyro III would be released either late 2001 or early 2002, so again this is not a delay.

So now that I actually read these *stories* closer I'm seeing that there no actually lying about a delay, they just don't realise that ST gave the early 2002 date from the start.

<< In my opinion, they haven't been releasing any "ground breaking" products since the PCX2. I say PCX2 because 1 didn't work properly. I don't think Tiling is all they hyped it too be. If they had a card to seriously compete with the GeForce 3 now, let alone the coming Radeon 8500 and the GeForce3 Ti500, I would be impressed and have a totally different opinion, but that is not likely to happen. >>

I'm not quite sure what your saying here, are you saying that PCX2 is the most ground braking product IMGTEC ever made because it didn't work??:eek:), I must be misunderstanding you there. Also what does how fast or competative the Kyro II is have to do with tiling being over hyped?. How fast Kyro II is rely's on number of pixels pipes and TU's ect and tiling itself shows its self not to be overhyped...why?...one sentence..a card with the fillrate and memory bandwidth of a TNT2 is as fast and sometimes faster then a GTS because it utilizes tile based rendering.

<< Afterall, everyone is in it to make money. The graphics busines is no longer a prime earning arena for IMGTEC, so they pay less attention to it. That is why I usually have better things to say about products from nVidia or ATI. >>

I'm bewildered by that comment, what do you mean "The graphics busines is no longer a prime earning arena for IMGTEC, so they pay less attention to it."?? IMGTEC (or more accurately ST as IMGTEC simply make a design and licence it to ST) are more focused on the graphics card market then ever. Since linking up with ST they've released to chips in the space of a year. The reason there more focused is partly because they no longer rake in profits from Dreamcast chips and also because their now licencing designs to a much more ambitious company (ST) then the one that made all there graphics chips up until Kyro (NEC)). There more succesful right now in the PC graphics chip market then ever before, there selling loads of Kyro 1 and II in europe (twice as many Kyro 1's are sold in the U.K then MX's, infact one store I got sales stats for sold more Kyro 1's then ANY other board including all Nvidia, ATI, 3DFX and Kyro II boards, they also sold more Kyro II boards then any other boards appart from Kyro 1). But the main difference between now and past chips from IMGTEC is that loads of Kyro II's are being sold in the U.S as well as a nice amount of Kyro 1's as well which can't be said for any of the other PowerVR chips in the past.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The comment I made about the PCX2 was regarding the fact that it was one of two main 3D chipsets on the market. The other being 3DFX Voodoo. They were well advertised, and although they didn't perform as well as 3DFX and didn't have as much support, they had pretty good sales. After that with the PowervrSG and the Kyro, they were virtually invisible. In the UK, not a single major store had them. I don't recall seeing them in any stores within the Dixons Group (Dixons, Currys and PC World). Any UK resident will recognise these names. Although I don't pay high regards to these stores, except PCWorld if you are a business customer, they do account for the high majority of technology sales in the UK. Even in tandys and electronic boutique didn't have them. I think insight.com and dabs.com had thme on 'ordered at request'.

Yes, the Kyro 2 does have more exposure, but I don't believe it has a better UK sales record than the PCX2 in the shape of the Videologic Apocalypse 3DX and the Matrox m3D. They sold pretty well, especially 3DFX had a slight late entry in the UK market.

I say I am not impressed with them as a company, because they couldn't take advantage of what they had. They screwed up bigtime. They gave the people a chance to forget them. Which is pretty much what happened. Now if you ask any non-enthusiast, it is way more than likely, they won't know what the hell a kyro is. But more will know what a geforce is.

I'm not sure what the US market is or has been like, but thats the story with the uk market. Now mass resellers like the system integrators, sell Geforce mx range, and also the Higher spec cards are doing on retail sales. ATI has an improvement in its sales, but not enough.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yep rcf, I will preorder that videocard whos benchmarks arent complete based soley on your enlightening post.

Do you still have that bridge for sale?

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

G

<< Yes, the Kyro 2 does have more exposure, but I don't believe it has a better UK sales record than the PCX2 in the shape of the Videologic Apocalypse 3DX and the Matrox m3D. They sold pretty well, especially 3DFX had a slight late entry in the UK market. >>

Kyro II's release brought more then exposure for Kyro II it brought Kyro 1 exposure too. A graphics card sales chart from a local PC world that I got a couple of months ago saw Kyro I (Herc 4000XT 32mb) eclipse all other boards on the market including Kyro II (Herc 4500 64mb) as well as Kyro II eclipsing all other boards appart from Kyro I, and the boards being sold there included, Geforce 2 MX400 (5 versions of that board), GTS (just one version), Ultra (two versions).

I'm pretty sure the PCX2 didn't do well in the U.S. Yeah it did well in the U.K but thats the reason the Kyro chip is the most succesful PowerVR chip ever, its selling great in the U.K but its also selling very well in the U.S and is now well known (better known and more mainstreem then the PCX2 ever was in the U.S).

<< I say I am not impressed with them as a company, because they couldn't take advantage of what they had. They screwed up bigtime. They gave the people a chance to forget them. Which is pretty much what happened. Now if you ask any non-enthusiast, it is way more than likely, they won't know what the hell a kyro is. But more will know what a geforce is. >>

If you ask a none PC graphics card enthusiast (and certainly a none PC hardware enthusiast) he/she's very likely not going to know what a Kyro II, Radeon or even a Geforce is. 3DFX/Voodoo was the name none enthusiasts knew and Nvidia/Geforce is nowhere near emulating that AFAIK. I know allot of people with PC's who still have crappy Voodoo2's and when I try to advice them on what card to buy there like "A Geforce?, what the hells that, bit of a tacky name isn't it, never heard of it", "LOL, a Radeon, sounds like a washing up powder" etc and they've also never heard of Kyro 1 or II yet there face lights up when you mention 3DFX or Voodoo. But at least now any graphics card enthusiast has heard of Kyro were as before PCX2 wasn't to well known in the U.S even by graphics card enthusiasts.

As for not being impressed by the company. Not bringing out a follow up to the PCX2 soon after its release doesn't make IMGTEC or ST a bad company. How could it considering IMGTEC merely sell the licence to there chip designs to another company (the company there selling to dictates what they want from the chip before its finished) and THEY choose what to do with it. NEC chose to focus the chip after PCX2 on Dreamcast and only bring the chip to the PC market very very late (after they'd made enough Dreamcast chips) and only in the U.K. The people that are making PowerVR's graphics chips (Kyro I, II and III (ST)) certainly can't be held in contempt for any of this because they weren't involed before Kyro. So fristly rating IMGTEC as a company on what happened in the past as far as releases ect doesn't work as it was NEC's responsibility and NEC's decision what to do with any chip they licenced. IMGTEC did there job and came through with NEC's desired chip design on time and NEC chose to focus that chip on Dreamcast sales instead of the PC market. Secondly rating ST (who as I said now licence the PowerVR tech and made Kyro 1 and II) on PowerVR history also doesn't work as the only history they have with PowerVR is Kyro. So far they've brought out one chip which while not very succesful (it was really just a tentative toe into the water of the PC graphics card market) did raise a few eyebrows. Then followed that up a few months later with an excellent budget card that at the time rocked the market (absolutely everyone was talking about it and you only had to go to any graphics card messageboard to see people bewildered saying "where the hell did this thing come from?, it looks excellent"). ST's record so far is good and IMGTEC can't be blamed for decisions that they didn't actually make in the past so you have no reason not be impressed by them as a company.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Teasy on 09/09/01 06:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Dago

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I may not have a bridge, but how bout some beachfront property on 3-mile island?
BTW, is rcf being paid by ATI?

--Wassamatta you?--