Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Anything better at this pricepoint?

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
February 11, 2013 11:22:43 AM

I was going to get a laptop a few months ago, but had to push it back a bit because of financial troubles. At the time I was looking at a Lenovo Z580. Currently the best deal for $550 or under is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Stock OS isn't super important, I'm going to install Linux on it. It's mostly going to be used for web browsing and indie games. If the rumors about World of Warcraft getting a Linux port comes true that'll probably be the most demanding game. Ideally I'd like a dedicated graphics card, preferably Nvidia,because I've heard the Linux drivers are a bit better for Nvidia

More about : pricepoint

February 11, 2013 1:20:01 PM

I think you heard wrong. My understanding is Radeon drivers are open source, and nVidia drivers are closed.

This is why Linus said, PHRASE DELETED BY MODERATOR...NOT AGAIN PLEASE... nVidia."
Score
February 11, 2013 1:27:42 PM

Wisecracker said:
I think you heard wrong. My understanding is Radeon drivers are open source, and nVidia drivers are closed.

This is why Linus said, "F*ck, nVidia."

You are correct about the quote, but ATI's open source drivers don't perform as well as their proprietary drivers, and Nvidia's proprietary perform much better than ATI's. I'm not sure if this is something that will change in the longterm, because I usually do prefer ATI products
Score
Related resources
February 11, 2013 1:49:42 PM

I'm not an expert by any means ... but all benchies I've seen reflect significant advantages to AMD in OpenGL/CL over nVidia.

If you have information otherwise, I'd love to see it.

Score
a b D Laptop
February 11, 2013 1:52:17 PM

I've heard the same. AMD better in OpenCL with 7xxx series, but their drivers for Linux leave much to be desired. They might have "open source" drivers for them, but it's also my understanding they won't reveal enough about the hardware for good drivers to be used.

As for your question I have no idea. Typically during that sale period you'll get the best deals.
Score
February 11, 2013 1:58:28 PM

Wisecracker said:
I'm not an expert by any means ... but all benchies I've seen reflect significant advantages to AMD in OpenGL/CL over nVidia.

If you have information otherwise, I'd love to see it.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any official benchmarks from a reliable source, because Linux gaming hasn't really started gaining ground until recently, and I don't have a computer at the moment to run any tests myself. Over on the Steam Linux forums a lot of the people that are having issues are using ATI graphics cards though.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/8469...
Score

Best solution

February 11, 2013 2:13:35 PM

AMD Radeon HD 7660D On Linux

I would suggest using a site like Phoronix as opposed to folks venting on the Steam Linux forums ...

There is substantial information for you to mull-over, there.

a c 249 D Laptop
February 12, 2013 9:38:24 PM

Best answer selected by Brett928S2.
Score
a c 249 D Laptop
February 12, 2013 9:38:28 PM

This topic has been closed by Brett928S2
Score
!