CHM HTML Help Files Broken

Any compiled HTML Help files (.chm) I try to open I get "The page cannot be
displayed".

The Contents/Search tabs work fine but anything I click on get the "The page
cannot be displayed". page.

The properties are:

res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:[PATH]

where [PATH] is the path to the .chm file.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about html files broken

    John,

    Are you trying to view CHM files over the network?

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Any compiled HTML Help files (.chm) I try to open I get "The page cannot
    > be displayed".
    >
    > The Contents/Search tabs work fine but anything I click on get the "The
    > page cannot be displayed". page.
    >
    > The properties are:
    >
    > res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:[PATH]
    >
    > where [PATH] is the path to the .chm file.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks

    No, they are local files... As a test to make sure the .chm file itself
    isn't corrupted I downloaded the examples from
    http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/email_archiver and for example the Address:
    (URL) when I right click / properties on the Page cannot be displayed page
    is:

    res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:C:\archive_sm.chm::/index.htm

    Thanks

    > John,
    >
    > Are you trying to view CHM files over the network?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Any compiled HTML Help files (.chm) I try to open I get "The page cannot
    >> be displayed".
    >>
    >> The Contents/Search tabs work fine but anything I click on get the "The
    >> page cannot be displayed". page.
    >>
    >> The properties are:
    >>
    >> res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:[PATH]
    >>
    >> where [PATH] is the path to the .chm file.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on how to fix this?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    See if these commands help, from Start-Run:

    regsvr32 itss
    regsvr32 jscript

    Then, clear the IE TIF and the %Temp% folders. Try opening the CHM file now.
    (Also, see if you can open the existing CHM files in the Help folder
    c:\windows\help\access.chm )

    The following note was posted by Pete Lees.

    <quote>
    Delete or rename the file hh.dat, which you should find in this
    hidden subdirectory:

    \Documents and Settings\%username%\Applicatio­­n Data\Microsoft\HTML
    Help

    The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help
    files on your system (favourite topics, changes that you've made to the
    size and position of a help window, etc.), and can cause the files to
    misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows will create a new
    version of hh.dat when you next open any .chm file.

    </quote>

    --

    > No, they are local files... As a test to make sure the .chm file itself
    > isn't corrupted I downloaded the examples from
    > http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/email_archiver and for example the Address:
    > (URL) when I right click / properties on the Page cannot be displayed page
    > is:
    >
    > res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:C:\archive_sm.chm::/index.htm
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> John,
    >>
    >> Are you trying to view CHM files over the network?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Any compiled HTML Help files (.chm) I try to open I get "The page cannot
    >>> be displayed".
    >>>
    >>> The Contents/Search tabs work fine but anything I click on get the "The
    >>> page cannot be displayed". page.
    >>>
    >>> The properties are:
    >>>
    >>> res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:[PATH]
    >>>
    >>> where [PATH] is the path to the .chm file.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions on how to fix this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    Thanks for the suggestions. I did each of the steps but unfortunately I
    still can't view the CHMs.

    Intereesting, I can view the Windows ones such as
    c:\windows\help\access.chm. The ones I have tried have been 3rd party ones
    from Sony (it's a Vaio computer) and the one I downloaded which I know isn't
    corrupted as I can view it from other PCs.

    Any other suggestions?

    Thanks

    > See if these commands help, from Start-Run:
    >
    > regsvr32 itss
    > regsvr32 jscript
    >
    > Then, clear the IE TIF and the %Temp% folders. Try opening the CHM file
    > now. (Also, see if you can open the existing CHM files in the Help folder
    > c:\windows\help\access.chm )
    >
    > The following note was posted by Pete Lees.
    >
    > <quote>
    > Delete or rename the file hh.dat, which you should find in this
    > hidden subdirectory:
    >
    > \Documents and Settings\%username%\Applicatio­­n Data\Microsoft\HTML
    > Help
    >
    > The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help
    > files on your system (favourite topics, changes that you've made to the
    > size and position of a help window, etc.), and can cause the files to
    > misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows will create a new
    > version of hh.dat when you next open any .chm file.
    >
    > </quote>
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> No, they are local files... As a test to make sure the .chm file itself
    >> isn't corrupted I downloaded the examples from
    >> http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/email_archiver and for example the
    >> Address: (URL) when I right click / properties on the Page cannot be
    >> displayed page is:
    >>
    >> res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:C:\archive_sm.chm::/index.htm
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> John,
    >>>
    >>> Are you trying to view CHM files over the network?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>

    >>> "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    John,

    > Intereesting, I can view the Windows ones such as
    > c:\windows\help\access.chm. The ones I have tried have been 3rd party ones
    > from Sony (it's a Vaio computer) and the one I downloaded which I know isn't
    > corrupted as I can view it from other PCs.

    If all the files with which you're having problems were downloaded from
    the Internet, this article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base may help:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225/

    Or see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319247 for another reason why
    the content of the help files may be blocked.

    --
    Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

    Thank you for the suggestion; the solution in KB902225 fixed my problem.

    <PD.Lees@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > John,
    >
    >> Intereesting, I can view the Windows ones such as
    >> c:\windows\help\access.chm. The ones I have tried have been 3rd party
    >> ones
    >> from Sony (it's a Vaio computer) and the one I downloaded which I know
    >> isn't
    >> corrupted as I can view it from other PCs.
    >
    > If all the files with which you're having problems were downloaded from
    > the Internet, this article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base may help:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225/
    >
    > Or see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319247 for another reason why
    > the content of the help files may be blocked.
    >
    > --
    > Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

    Running out of ideas, John. Both the CHM files work fine here. I'd try
    clearing the %temp% and the TIF folder completely. If not, run a SFC
    /Scannow to restore corrupt DLLs.

    --

    > Thanks for the suggestions. I did each of the steps but unfortunately I
    > still can't view the CHMs.
    >
    > Intereesting, I can view the Windows ones such as
    > c:\windows\help\access.chm. The ones I have tried have been 3rd party
    > ones from Sony (it's a Vaio computer) and the one I downloaded which I
    > know isn't corrupted as I can view it from other PCs.
    >
    > Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> See if these commands help, from Start-Run:
    >>
    >> regsvr32 itss
    >> regsvr32 jscript
    >>
    >> Then, clear the IE TIF and the %Temp% folders. Try opening the CHM file
    >> now. (Also, see if you can open the existing CHM files in the Help folder
    >> c:\windows\help\access.chm )
    >>
    >> The following note was posted by Pete Lees.
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> Delete or rename the file hh.dat, which you should find in this
    >> hidden subdirectory:
    >>
    >> \Documents and Settings\%username%\Applicatio­­n Data\Microsoft\HTML
    >> Help
    >>
    >> The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help
    >> files on your system (favourite topics, changes that you've made to the
    >> size and position of a help window, etc.), and can cause the files to
    >> misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows will create a new
    >> version of hh.dat when you next open any .chm file.
    >>
    >> </quote>
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> No, they are local files... As a test to make sure the .chm file itself
    >>> isn't corrupted I downloaded the examples from
    >>> http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/email_archiver and for example the
    >>> Address: (URL) when I right click / properties on the Page cannot be
    >>> displayed page is:
    >>>
    >>> res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:C:\archive_sm.chm::/index.htm
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

    Thanks for your help in trying to resolve the problem. My problem ended up
    being related to KB902225 which had the solution.

    Thanks,

    JG

    > Running out of ideas, John. Both the CHM files work fine here. I'd try
    > clearing the %temp% and the TIF folder completely. If not, run a SFC
    > /Scannow to restore corrupt DLLs.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the suggestions. I did each of the steps but unfortunately I
    >> still can't view the CHMs.
    >>
    >> Intereesting, I can view the Windows ones such as
    >> c:\windows\help\access.chm. The ones I have tried have been 3rd party
    >> ones from Sony (it's a Vaio computer) and the one I downloaded which I
    >> know isn't corrupted as I can view it from other PCs.
    >>
    >> Any other suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> See if these commands help, from Start-Run:
    >>>
    >>> regsvr32 itss
    >>> regsvr32 jscript
    >>>
    >>> Then, clear the IE TIF and the %Temp% folders. Try opening the CHM file
    >>> now. (Also, see if you can open the existing CHM files in the Help
    >>> folder c:\windows\help\access.chm )
    >>>
    >>> The following note was posted by Pete Lees.
    >>>
    >>> <quote>
    >>> Delete or rename the file hh.dat, which you should find in this
    >>> hidden subdirectory:
    >>>
    >>> \Documents and Settings\%username%\Applicatio­­n Data\Microsoft\HTML
    >>> Help
    >>>
    >>> The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help
    >>> files on your system (favourite topics, changes that you've made to the
    >>> size and position of a help window, etc.), and can cause the files to
    >>> misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows will create a new
    >>> version of hh.dat when you next open any .chm file.
    >>>
    >>> </quote>
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>

    >>> "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Glad you got it fixed John. Point noted.

    This is the key from Q902225:

    >> After you install security update 896358, Attachment Manager may treat
    >> downloaded CHM files as untrusted files.

    I don't have that Security Update installed, and so the CHM downloads are
    trusted in my system (no Unblock option).

    --

    > Thanks for your help in trying to resolve the problem. My problem ended
    > up being related to KB902225 which had the solution.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JG
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Running out of ideas, John. Both the CHM files work fine here. I'd try
    >> clearing the %temp% and the TIF folder completely. If not, run a SFC
    >> /Scannow to restore corrupt DLLs.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks for the suggestions. I did each of the steps but unfortunately I
    >>> still can't view the CHMs.
    >>>
    >>> Intereesting, I can view the Windows ones such as
    >>> c:\windows\help\access.chm. The ones I have tried have been 3rd party
    >>> ones from Sony (it's a Vaio computer) and the one I downloaded which I
    >>> know isn't corrupted as I can view it from other PCs.
    >>>
    >>> Any other suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

    Copy and paste this to word pad and save as .reg and then double click the
    ..reg file and it should work.

    REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\HHRestrictions]
    "MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000001
    "EnableFrameNavigationInSafeMode"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]
    "MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000003

    "John Gibson" wrote:

    > Any compiled HTML Help files (.chm) I try to open I get "The page cannot be
    > displayed".
    >
    > The Contents/Search tabs work fine but anything I click on get the "The page
    > cannot be displayed". page.
    >
    > The properties are:
    >
    > res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:[PATH]
    >
    > where [PATH] is the path to the .chm file.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks

Support HTML Microsoft Windows XP