CHM HTML Help Files Broken

August 11, 2005 3:46:50 AM

Any compiled HTML Help files (.chm) I try to open I get "The page cannot be
displayed".

The Contents/Search tabs work fine but anything I click on get the "The page
cannot be displayed". page.

The properties are:

res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:[PATH]

where [PATH] is the path to the .chm file.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks

More about : chm html files broken

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:28:38 PM

John,

Are you trying to view CHM files over the network?

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Any compiled HTML Help files (.chm) I try to open I get "The page cannot
> be displayed".
>
> The Contents/Search tabs work fine but anything I click on get the "The
> page cannot be displayed". page.
>
> The properties are:
>
> res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:[PATH]
>
> where [PATH] is the path to the .chm file.
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix this?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:28:39 PM

No, they are local files... As a test to make sure the .chm file itself
isn't corrupted I downloaded the examples from
http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/email_archiver and for example the Address:
(URL) when I right click / properties on the Page cannot be displayed page
is:

res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:C:\archive_sm.chm::/index.htm

Thanks

news:o 55xujinFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> John,
>
> Are you trying to view CHM files over the network?
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Any compiled HTML Help files (.chm) I try to open I get "The page cannot
>> be displayed".
>>
>> The Contents/Search tabs work fine but anything I click on get the "The
>> page cannot be displayed". page.
>>
>> The properties are:
>>
>> res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:[PATH]
>>
>> where [PATH] is the path to the .chm file.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to fix this?
>>
>> Thanks

August 11, 2005 1:59:58 PM

See if these commands help, from Start-Run:

regsvr32 itss
regsvr32 jscript

Then, clear the IE TIF and the %Temp% folders. Try opening the CHM file now.
(Also, see if you can open the existing CHM files in the Help folder
c:\windows\help\access.chm )

The following note was posted by Pete Lees.

<quote>
Delete or rename the file hh.dat, which you should find in this
hidden subdirectory:

\Documents and Settings\%username%\Applicatio­­n Data\Microsoft\HTML
Help

The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help
files on your system (favourite topics, changes that you've made to the
size and position of a help window, etc.), and can cause the files to
misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows will create a new
version of hh.dat when you next open any .chm file.

</quote>

--

> No, they are local files... As a test to make sure the .chm file itself
> isn't corrupted I downloaded the examples from
> http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/email_archiver and for example the Address:
> (URL) when I right click / properties on the Page cannot be displayed page
> is:
>
> res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:C:\archive_sm.chm::/index.htm
>
> Thanks
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o 55xujinFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> John,
>>
>> Are you trying to view CHM files over the network?
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Any compiled HTML Help files (.chm) I try to open I get "The page cannot
>>> be displayed".
>>>
>>> The Contents/Search tabs work fine but anything I click on get the "The
>>> page cannot be displayed". page.
>>>
>>> The properties are:
>>>
>>> res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:[PATH]
>>>
>>> where [PATH] is the path to the .chm file.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on how to fix this?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:59:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did each of the steps but unfortunately I
still can't view the CHMs.

Intereesting, I can view the Windows ones such as
c:\windows\help\access.chm. The ones I have tried have been 3rd party ones
from Sony (it's a Vaio computer) and the one I downloaded which I know isn't
corrupted as I can view it from other PCs.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

> See if these commands help, from Start-Run:
>
> regsvr32 itss
> regsvr32 jscript
>
> Then, clear the IE TIF and the %Temp% folders. Try opening the CHM file
> now. (Also, see if you can open the existing CHM files in the Help folder
> c:\windows\help\access.chm )
>
> The following note was posted by Pete Lees.
>
> <quote>
> Delete or rename the file hh.dat, which you should find in this
> hidden subdirectory:
>
> \Documents and Settings\%username%\Applicatio­­n Data\Microsoft\HTML
> Help
>
> The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help
> files on your system (favourite topics, changes that you've made to the
> size and position of a help window, etc.), and can cause the files to
> misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows will create a new
> version of hh.dat when you next open any .chm file.
>
> </quote>
>

> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> No, they are local files... As a test to make sure the .chm file itself
>> isn't corrupted I downloaded the examples from
>> http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/email_archiver and for example the
>> Address: (URL) when I right click / properties on the Page cannot be
>> displayed page is:
>>
>> res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:C:\archive_sm.chm::/index.htm
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:o 55xujinFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> John,
>>>
>>> Are you trying to view CHM files over the network?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:58:34 AM

John,

> Intereesting, I can view the Windows ones such as
> c:\windows\help\access.chm. The ones I have tried have been 3rd party ones
> from Sony (it's a Vaio computer) and the one I downloaded which I know isn't
> corrupted as I can view it from other PCs.

If all the files with which you're having problems were downloaded from
the Internet, this article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base may help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225/

Or see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319247 for another reason why
the content of the help files may be blocked.

--
Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)
Anonymous

Thank you for the suggestion; the solution in KB902225 fixed my problem.

<PD.Lees@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> John,
>
>> Intereesting, I can view the Windows ones such as
>> c:\windows\help\access.chm. The ones I have tried have been 3rd party
>> ones
>> from Sony (it's a Vaio computer) and the one I downloaded which I know
>> isn't
>> corrupted as I can view it from other PCs.
>
> If all the files with which you're having problems were downloaded from
> the Internet, this article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base may help:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225/
>
> Or see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319247 for another reason why
> the content of the help files may be blocked.
>
> --
> Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:59:14 PM

Running out of ideas, John. Both the CHM files work fine here. I'd try
clearing the %temp% and the TIF folder completely. If not, run a SFC
/Scannow to restore corrupt DLLs.

--

> Thanks for the suggestions. I did each of the steps but unfortunately I
> still can't view the CHMs.
>
> Intereesting, I can view the Windows ones such as
> c:\windows\help\access.chm. The ones I have tried have been 3rd party
> ones from Sony (it's a Vaio computer) and the one I downloaded which I
> know isn't corrupted as I can view it from other PCs.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> See if these commands help, from Start-Run:
>>
>> regsvr32 itss
>> regsvr32 jscript
>>
>> Then, clear the IE TIF and the %Temp% folders. Try opening the CHM file
>> now. (Also, see if you can open the existing CHM files in the Help folder
>> c:\windows\help\access.chm )
>>
>> The following note was posted by Pete Lees.
>>
>> <quote>
>> Delete or rename the file hh.dat, which you should find in this
>> hidden subdirectory:
>>
>> \Documents and Settings\%username%\Applicatio­­n Data\Microsoft\HTML
>> Help
>>
>> The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help
>> files on your system (favourite topics, changes that you've made to the
>> size and position of a help window, etc.), and can cause the files to
>> misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows will create a new
>> version of hh.dat when you next open any .chm file.
>>
>> </quote>
>>

>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> No, they are local files... As a test to make sure the .chm file itself
>>> isn't corrupted I downloaded the examples from
>>> http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/email_archiver and for example the
>>> Address: (URL) when I right click / properties on the Page cannot be
>>> displayed page is:
>>>
>>> res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#mk:@MSITStore:C:\archive_sm.chm::/index.htm
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> news:o 55xujinFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:59:15 PM

Thanks for your help in trying to resolve the problem. My problem ended up
being related to KB902225 which had the solution.

Thanks,

JG

> Running out of ideas, John. Both the CHM files work fine here. I'd try
> clearing the %temp% and the TIF folder completely. If not, run a SFC
> /Scannow to restore corrupt DLLs.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the suggestions. I did each of the steps but unfortunately I
>> still can't view the CHMs.
>>
>> Intereesting, I can view the Windows ones such as
>> c:\windows\help\access.chm. The ones I have tried have been 3rd party
>> ones from Sony (it's a Vaio computer) and the one I downloaded which I
>> know isn't corrupted as I can view it from other PCs.
>>
>> Any other suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> See if these commands help, from Start-Run:
>>>
>>> regsvr32 itss
>>> regsvr32 jscript
>>>
>>> Then, clear the IE TIF and the %Temp% folders. Try opening the CHM file
>>> now. (Also, see if you can open the existing CHM files in the Help
>>> folder c:\windows\help\access.chm )
>>>
>>> The following note was posted by Pete Lees.
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> Delete or rename the file hh.dat, which you should find in this
>>> hidden subdirectory:
>>>
>>> \Documents and Settings\%username%\Applicatio­­n Data\Microsoft\HTML
>>> Help
>>>
>>> The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help
>>> files on your system (favourite topics, changes that you've made to the
>>> size and position of a help window, etc.), and can cause the files to
>>> misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows will create a new
>>> version of hh.dat when you next open any .chm file.
>>>
>>> </quote>
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:14:00 AM

Glad you got it fixed John. Point noted.

This is the key from Q902225:

>> After you install security update 896358, Attachment Manager may treat
>> downloaded CHM files as untrusted files.

I don't have that Security Update installed, and so the CHM downloads are
trusted in my system (no Unblock option).

--

> Thanks for your help in trying to resolve the problem. My problem ended
> up being related to KB902225 which had the solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> JG
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Running out of ideas, John. Both the CHM files work fine here. I'd try
>> clearing the %temp% and the TIF folder completely. If not, run a SFC
>> /Scannow to restore corrupt DLLs.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "John Gibson" <jgibson24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the suggestions. I did each of the steps but unfortunately I
>>> still can't view the CHMs.
>>>
>>> Intereesting, I can view the Windows ones such as
>>> c:\windows\help\access.chm. The ones I have tried have been 3rd party
>>> ones from Sony (it's a Vaio computer) and the one I downloaded which I
>>> know isn't corrupted as I can view it from other PCs.
>>>
>>> Any other suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 11:35:03 AM

Copy and paste this to word pad and save as .reg and then double click the
..reg file and it should work.

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\HHRestrictions]
"MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000001
"EnableFrameNavigationInSafeMode"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]
"MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000003

!