Resolution Issues!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

August 11, 2005 6:28:46 AM

I am a computer dorkus. And I recently reinstalled WindowsXP because I
got tired of my computer whining in the form of popup ads about
confirmed hackers and this 'Spyware' getting all my personal
information and junk. Anyhow, I've done this a few times before(it's a
recurring problem!)and I've never had trouble with the resolution until
now. In Properties-Settings where you can change the screen resolution
the only option it gives me is 640x480, the slider has no other
choices. I have no idea what step I may have skipped in the
reinstallation process. But I can't get the Applications CD(that yellow
one!) to really install properly, could that be it? It gives me some
choices when I put it in, but I don't see how downloading some AOL
program and MusicCD stuff is going to fix this so I sort of dodged it.

My screen is really big, and it's very annoying! I need help.......

--
ShadowedDespair

More about : resolution issues

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:03:51 AM

Install the latest drivers for your video card.

"ShadowedDespair" wrote:

> I am a computer dorkus. And I recently reinstalled WindowsXP because I
> got tired of my computer whining in the form of popup ads about
> confirmed hackers and this 'Spyware' getting all my personal
> information and junk. Anyhow, I've done this a few times before(it's a
> recurring problem!)and I've never had trouble with the resolution until
> now. In Properties-Settings where you can change the screen resolution
> the only option it gives me is 640x480, the slider has no other
> choices. I have no idea what step I may have skipped in the
> reinstallation process. But I can't get the Applications CD(that yellow
> one!) to really install properly, could that be it? It gives me some
> choices when I put it in, but I don't see how downloading some AOL
> program and MusicCD stuff is going to fix this so I sort of dodged it.
>

> My screen is really big, and it's very annoying! I need help.......
>

> --
> ShadowedDespair

August 11, 2005 10:26:04 AM

It sounds like your video driver is not installed properly. Other than a
complete reformat of the Hard drive, reinstalling windows doesn't splve the
spyware popup problem.

Asuming you did completely erase the drive and start over from scratch, then
your solution is in getting the correct video drivers installed again. (if
you did not perform the clean install, then either you are some action during
the install knocked out you drivers) This sems to happen especially when
agreeng to 'clean' everything a spyware program identifies as "POTENTIALLY
HARMFUL" they find everything out of the ordinary good or bad. You don't
replace you engine every 3000 miles do you? lol

So, dorkus, (your word ;-] ) it is probably a good first step to reinstall,
update or upgade your video adapter drivers. If you go to control panel,
system, hardware tab, device manager and see any yellow circles before a
device (particularly yhe 'display adapter' then that is the problem.
Highlight that item and look at the properties.

If the dialog box says the device is anything other than working fine and
enabled then try the upgrade, reinstall or update driver button depending o
which verion you have will walk you through finding the correct driver.

If that doesn't work or the correct driver is not found then go to te
maufacturers site for you video card. If you know what kind of video card
you have (you kow the yhing between where the monitor plugs into the big boxy
thing and the brains of the machine. If so go to the manufactuers website
and download and install the most current 'video driver' or control program
(most likely an .inf or .dll file)

with out more specifics on your set up I would hate to give you more. so
try that and think about other solutions to your popup problem that is not so
invasive. You might even try an ounce of prevention by altering your
security set up and surfing habits.
--
That is how I really feel about it!

!