Geforce 3 Titanium 500 speed

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Nivisia release a new geforce to """""beat"""""" ati.The is Geforce 3 Titanium 500(ultra).Also a cheaper version of Geforce3,geforce 3 titanium 200 (MX).

G

the radeons all have the core and ram in sync so one wont be 250 and other 300, thats not what ATI does. im guessing 300/300; w/ a good cooler thatd be very smart of ati

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Not saying the radeon will be slower than the gf3, but this is directed at juin.

ONE LAST TIME

JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING HAS A HIGHER MHZ RATING DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL BE FASTER.

So your post means that the gf3 will be slower due to its slower core clock, well, thats stupid. Go read up on processor technology and gpu archetecture before deciding which is faster based on a single number.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Ahem:

"ATI executives did not disclose the clock speed of the 8500, although it is reportedly clocked at 250-MHz, with a single-channel 270-MHz DDR interface."

Geforce3: 200/230
Geforce3 Ti 500: 240/260
Radeon 8500: 250/270 (or something...)

The Ge3 Ti has a 12% increase in memory bandwidth, which equates to who knows what in real world game benchmarks - but even a 10% performance increase could be all Nvidia needs to make sure they claim all the performance victories over the 8500, even if it costs more. Considering the Radeon8500 previews lost pretty badly to a regular Ge3, I don't see how your direct mhz comparisons mean jack squat in performance comparisons between the two - just like AMD vs. Intel.

I also can't figure you out Juin.... you're a rabid Intel fanatic obviously, and you claim that Intel is better even though they're much more expensive, because their performance is supposedly better. In your eyes, the obscene cost of P4 products justifies the 'supposed performance benefit.' But then when Nvidia pumps up their clock speeds and tacks on a few dollars, you wave the lower price of the 8500 as a justification for buying the ATI card, even though the performance may not be as good. Logical people would maintain a similar argument in their debates, but your logic derails every which way, and you don't seem to know WHICH argument you're trying to make your own.

So Intel is better than AMD, even though they're more expensive, because their performance is "better".
But ATI is better than Nvidia, because even though it's performance is "worse", it's cheaper than a Geforce3 Ultra.

Hmm... -_-

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Give me Radeon 8500 Maxx. Pump up the memory bandwith 70%-80%. SerNvidiaDayne ATi looks like the AMD of the Video card market. Nvidia is overpriced look if there was no ATi right now nvidia would be selling GF2 MX cards for $200 cuz there is no one to compete with. 3dfx dug there grave after the Voodoo2. Matrox has no 3d to compete with. Imagtech is in left field.

I still remember ATi and s3 battling for top spot. When 3dfx and Nvidia where small graphics chip makers.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Way to stick it to Juin. If you hadn't said anything, I as going to. He is such a moron.

Anyways... Juin, get your stories straight before you make idiotic statements, but most of all, GET A LIFE!!!!

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
I still remember ATi and s3 battling for top spot. When 3dfx and Nvidia where small graphics chip makers.
And cirrus logic, trident, number9, promise,...

Hell, time flies...

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Look at this ATi 2mb ISA Power house <A HREF="http://www.lcmcomputers.com/a- PIX DEPOT/90546.7.jpg" target="_new">http://www.lcmcomputers.com/a- PIX DEPOT/90546.7.jpg</A>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
<i>. . . but even a 10% performance increase could be all Nvidia needs to make sure they claim all the performance victories over the 8500. . .
</i>

I doubt very much a 10% performance increase for a GF3 would give a performance victory over the Radeon 8500. Is performance limited by FPS?? or QuakeIII FPS? How about 2d performance? How about FSAA performance? How about Hydravision performance which for the GF3 it is just plain absent? How about DVD and Video performance? How about usable features that enhances the image which can be done with today and yesterday games - TruForm? How about price performance getting the most bang for the buck? I hope you are not hypnotized to FPS for games or benchmarks that you never play. Unless you clarify what you mean by performance then it is virtually meaningless and troll like. As in unsubstantiated crapola.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 09/06/01 10:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Ah hah!!

No offense, but I must declare.... DUH!

Of COURSE it's "unsubstantiated crapola". Please note the use of uncertain modifiers such as "could be", as are found in the Inquirer article that the above parties claimed as *fact*. I have no clue how the finished Radeon 8500 product is going to compare against the Geforce3 or Ge3 Ti, and I for one am willing to admit that any and all numbers I am throwing out in terms of performance are SHEER SPECULATION, just like every single ounce of crap that Rcf and Juin have been spewing on this board for days about the 8500 "kicking the geforce3's ass". Funny how you jump on me, but not those two trolls who've been waltzing around for days and weeks proclaiming ATI superiority. But then I suppose we all know you're an ATI lover Noko. I don't discredit you for it... I just assume you're an 'image quality' freak, and that's ok. You also must have a use for all those other features of the Radeon cards, and I can respect that. I'm a fps freak... I need high framerates to play games competitively, and I don't care about minor image quality details I won't notice in heavy action anyway.

In regards to 10%.... why couldn't it push the Ge3 ahead? The only proven fact of the 8500's performance is from tests done with the reference boards, which is the only thing we can base any speculation on right now. You may have faith in ATI to pull out some 'miracle drivers', but in my experience they have never developed their drivers to full potential. (and in case of the Rage 128, I suffered MISERABLY with shoddy drivers and general performance). Going to Nvidia was the best thing I ever did, and there were never driver concerns thereafter.

As for what I mean by "performance victories", I'm talking about the major performance benchmarks that are used by most hardware testers. Yes... Q3 is one of them, and let us all pray that one day Q3 will finally be gone from these benchmarks. To me, performance means high 3d framerates with good image quality - this is the average definition of the vast majority of pc gamers. My definition of image quality may well be different than yours. Is that clarification enough?

For me, great dvd playback is not important. (that's why I have a decoder card and a dvd player). For me, FSAA and exceptional image quality is not important - I usually turn off extra graphical features, to eek out extra performance. As for Hydravision... isn't that dual monitor support? I believe this is a feature Ge3 cards are coming out with, but one which I have no use for at the time, even when dealing with multiple photoshop projects. Now Truform is something I'm very interested in, and I can't wait to see next generation incarnations of this in future products from all companies.

If your going to police for trolls Noko, please police on BOTH sides of the fence, Nvidia as well as ATI. I am not a troll of any kind, and my response in this thread was a reaction from troll behavior of ATI origin. So nyahh :D

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Oops.. please see the other ATI troll thread for my reference to the inquirer article.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Great - a whooping 2MB? Remember 256KB being top of the line (not refering to CGA, EGA or even Hercules only cards)?
1MB video cards upgradeable to 2MB... he he eh - I'm getting old :wink:

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Now that I understand what you mean by performance based on FPS and your desire to maximize that parameter as long as the quality is sufficient for you. I look at the total performance of a card (2d, image quality, features, video, DVD, FPS, etc.) in all areas as much as possible including drivers which Nvidia seems to has a better handle on. It just erks me when someone claims a winner based on FPS on a card when the 2d is utterly crapola. Maybe for certain low res games the card is better but for serious or semi-serious 2d work (photoshop, desktop publishing, programming etc.) it SUCKS. Not referring to any one card in general, but I think you get my drift. I do think DVD and Video is very important because the computer and video technologies are merging and to take advantage of that inter-relationship you will need both to work together, like a HDTV set connected to your video card (possible when the Radeon 8500(DV) become available) and playing your 3d games on a 65inch high resolution display where the characters will be life size, flying in FlightSim2002 will be just awesome. I think you get my drift again. The whole performance, not limited only to one type of test. Unfortunately most reviews are so limited that you usually only see benchmarks as in FPS used to rate a card. Yes I use all my features that I can on my Radeon, I get as much as I can out of my card since I did pay for it.

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
I actually use photoshop a lot, among other 2d design programs, as I am involved in multimedia and web design. My Ge2 GTS has supplied ample 2d image quality for both print and web design, and I've never been disappointed. Frankly, I can't tell the difference between the images on this box and the ones on a PIII 667 with a Radeon 32MB in the other room.

As for integration with new technologies... fine... when we actually GET there, then I'll be wanting a card with these kinda features. As it is, I don't have a HDTV, and I don't plan to get one until they're a hell of a lot cheaper. I think you get my drift too...

For now, I want a powerful, dedicated 3d gaming card that can also be used when I'm working on 2d projects. The Geforce line has done that for me. I'll admit that ATI has always been more versatile with their cards than Nvidia, but I have never needed any of their extra features. The only things on the 8500 that really impress me are Truform and Smoothvision.

Geforces are gaming cards. Radeons until this point have largely been multimedia cards. ATI is finally to the point where they're getting excellent game performance while keeping their features, and you can see Nvidia responding by starting to flesh out the planned features of their own products. Most reviews are so limited because the scope of most gamers are so limited. In the next 1 to 3 years I expect to see reviews with a much broader view with video cards, as entertainment becomes more and more integrated with computers.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I honestly really don't see anything wrong w/ the image quality on my GF3. I think it's great in games. I still use 2MB vid cards at work (although mostly to see them smoke- too bad I can't say I think it was a problem w/ the floppy disk that burned out the vid card since over teh summer when I worked I was teh guy fixing the comps:).

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It should be faster then the GF3 Ultra if ATi can tweak it out at 100%. On Paper the 8500 is un-touchable. Just have to get the Drivers in shape. Well i people getting the core to 300mhz (Core) OCing the Beta card they sent to site (aka anand, thg, etc.)

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
I would have read your post, but you used too many capital letters for me to register any kind of coherent speech :p

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Noko, we havent seen ANY of those things from ati yet, the samples they sent to reviews had all those features DISABLED(or broken) I am not saying that the radeon2 will suck, but lets at least wait to see the images, benchmarks etc of the FINISHED RELEASED FINAL PRODUCT, before we have a jihad between nvidia and ati!

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~