  • Support
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 11, 2005 5:28:37 AM

Can I schedule disk defragmenter to run automatically? The knowledgebase
seems to give conflicting answers.

More about : disk defragmenter

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:30:13 AM

"Bob" <ratzt1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| Can I schedule disk defragmenter to run automatically?

|The knowledgebase
| seems to give conflicting answers.

Well it does and it doesn't. :-) (sorry)

See
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...

--
Doug

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
August 11, 2005 2:19:45 PM

I tried this but it will not run. When I tried to just run defrag.exe from
the system32 folder nothing happens except a very brief command window
flash.

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
> "Bob" <ratzt1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | Can I schedule disk defragmenter to run automatically?
>
> |The knowledgebase
> | seems to give conflicting answers.
>
> Well it does and it doesn't. :-) (sorry)
>
> See
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...
>
> --
> Doug
>
> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

August 11, 2005 4:21:03 PM

I just created a scheduled task to run defrag.exe and it worked fine. Did
you remember to modify the run line to add the drive letter to be defragged?

"Bob" wrote:

> I tried this but it will not run. When I tried to just run defrag.exe from
> the system32 folder nothing happens except a very brief command window
> flash.
>

> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Bob" <ratzt1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > | Can I schedule disk defragmenter to run automatically?
> >
> > |The knowledgebase
> > | seems to give conflicting answers.
> >
> > Well it does and it doesn't. :-) (sorry)
> >
> > See
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...
> >
> > --
> > Doug
> >
> > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> > I was just trying to help.
> > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> > advice herein.
> > No warranty is expressed or implied.
> > Your mileage may vary.
> > See store for details. :)
> >
> > Remove shoes to E-mail.

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:29:01 PM

How to Automate Disk Defragmenter Using Task Scheduler Tool in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555098

"CurtB" wrote:

> I just created a scheduled task to run defrag.exe and it worked fine. Did
> you remember to modify the run line to add the drive letter to be defragged?
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
> > I tried this but it will not run. When I tried to just run defrag.exe from
> > the system32 folder nothing happens except a very brief command window
> > flash.
> >

> > "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
> > > "Bob" <ratzt1@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > Well it does and it doesn't. :-) (sorry)
> > >
> > > See
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Doug
> > >
> > > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> > > I was just trying to help.
> > > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> > > advice herein.
> > > No warranty is expressed or implied.
> > > Your mileage may vary.
> > > See store for details. :)
> > >
> > > Remove shoes to E-mail.

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 8:18:02 PM

Bob,
Get a copy of Executive Software's Diskeeper. You can schedule it to run
in the background.

!