can't move my desk top icons

bill

all of a sudden when i go to move a desk top i con it pops back to where it
was. i know there is a wawy to change this but i just can't think of it
HELP!!!!!i have been to right click desk top and all and lock desk top is not
checked.
thanks
bill

well youve went to the right place. right click on the desktop, then go to
'Arrange Icons', and make sure 'Auto Arrange' is NOT ticked. this should now
allow you to reposition your icons anywhere.

:)

"bill" wrote:

> all of a sudden when i go to move a desk top i con it pops back to where it
> was. i know there is a wawy to change this but i just can't think of it
> HELP!!!!!i have been to right click desk top and all and lock desk top is not
> checked.
> thanks
> bill

The best solution to immovable desktop icons, despite whatever
else you may read or hear, is to get a firm grip on your monitor
(if it happens to be a part of your computer as is the case with
Think Pads or Laptops, so much the better ) and hurl the thing
out one of your windows.
And for goodness sake, don’t forget to laugh.

"bill" wrote:

> all of a sudden when i go to move a desk top i con it pops back to where it
> was. i know there is a wawy to change this but i just can't think of it
> HELP!!!!!i have been to right click desk top and all and lock desk top is not
> checked.
> thanks
> bill

bill

well the only thing that is checked is "show desk top icons" i know there is
a place that has something that alowes you to let computer choose what is
best for system or you cancheck for best for speed etc. but i do not
remember where it is.

"JonWra" wrote:

> well youve went to the right place. right click on the desktop, then go to
> 'Arrange Icons', and make sure 'Auto Arrange' is NOT ticked. this should now
> allow you to reposition your icons anywhere.
>
> :)
>
> "bill" wrote:
>
> > all of a sudden when i go to move a desk top i con it pops back to where it
> > was. i know there is a wawy to change this but i just can't think of it
> > HELP!!!!!i have been to right click desk top and all and lock desk top is not
> > checked.
> > thanks
> > bill

'Show Desktop Icons' is on the 'Active Desktop' menu - maybe youve checked
the 'Arrange Icons' menu but if i were id double check.
--
Helpdesk Technician
Working towards MCDST

"bill" wrote:

> well the only thing that is checked is "show desk top icons" i know there is
> a place that has something that alowes you to let computer choose what is
> best for system or you cancheck for best for speed etc. but i do not
> remember where it is.
>
> "JonWra" wrote:
>
> > well youve went to the right place. right click on the desktop, then go to
> > 'Arrange Icons', and make sure 'Auto Arrange' is NOT ticked. this should now
> > allow you to reposition your icons anywhere.
> >
> > :)
> >
> > "bill" wrote:
> >
> > > all of a sudden when i go to move a desk top i con it pops back to where it
> > > was. i know there is a wawy to change this but i just can't think of it
> > > HELP!!!!!i have been to right click desk top and all and lock desk top is not
> > > checked.
> > > thanks
> > > bill

bill

i have several times. i have even checked and unchecked each item one at a
time but ........

"JonWra" wrote:

> 'Show Desktop Icons' is on the 'Active Desktop' menu - maybe youve checked
> the 'Arrange Icons' menu but if i were id double check.
> --
> Helpdesk Technician
> Working towards MCDST
>

> "bill" wrote:
>
> > well the only thing that is checked is "show desk top icons" i know there is
> > a place that has something that alowes you to let computer choose what is
> > best for system or you cancheck for best for speed etc. but i do not
> > remember where it is.
> >
> > "JonWra" wrote:
> >
> > > well youve went to the right place. right click on the desktop, then go to
> > > 'Arrange Icons', and make sure 'Auto Arrange' is NOT ticked. this should now
> > > allow you to reposition your icons anywhere.
> > >
> > > :)

bill

i did that but that did not work.BUT i have some GOOD news........i just
saved a bunch of money on my car insureance by switching to geico.LOL really
i do not know what i did but it is working again. THANKS TO ALL FOR THE IN PUT

"bill" wrote:

> i have several times. i have even checked and unchecked each item one at a
> time but ........
>
> "JonWra" wrote:
>
> > 'Show Desktop Icons' is on the 'Active Desktop' menu - maybe youve checked
> > the 'Arrange Icons' menu but if i were id double check.
> > --
> > Helpdesk Technician
> > Working towards MCDST
> >

> > "bill" wrote:
> >
> > > well the only thing that is checked is "show desk top icons" i know there is
> > > a place that has something that alowes you to let computer choose what is
> > > best for system or you cancheck for best for speed etc. but i do not
> > > remember where it is.

Right click on the desktop, "arrange icons by" > and uncheck "align to grid"

Tom