how do i load old games onto my windows xp, i keep getting the error
message C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXE.NT. The system file is not suitable
for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications, choose 'close' to
terminate the application ...the games i am trying to load do say
windows xp in the system requirements. PLEASE HELP!!! :confused:

--
lil_starr77

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"lil_starr77" <lil_starr77.1tll1p@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> how do i load old games onto my windows xp, i keep getting the error
> message C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXE.NT. The system file is not suitable
> for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications, choose 'close' to
> terminate the application ...the games i am trying to load do say
> windows xp in the system requirements. PLEASE HELP!!! :confused:
>

> --
> lil_starr77

adz21c

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004

lil_starr77 Wrote:
> how do i load old games onto my windows xp, i keep getting the error
> message C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXE.NT. The system file is not suitable
> for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications, choose 'close' to
> terminate the application ...the games i am trying to load do say
> windows xp in the system requirements. PLEASE HELP!!! :confused:

Hi,
well it would really help if I knew what these old games are ... When
you say old games, thoughts of win95 MS-DOS games pop into mind, or we
talking slightly more recent ones like say a Star Trek Elite Force
(still old but not that old).

Are you having problems running the games or problem installing? If
your having problem running the game, have you tried getting XP to do
its compatible OS thing. You right click on the game executable and
click properties. Click the compatibility tab, then tick the box
labeled "Run this program in compatibility mode for:". Then select a
windows version you know works with the program from the drop down box
and click ok.

If your talking about age old MS-DOS based games like Star Trek TNG: A
Fnal Unity (fact I am a trek fan is showing isn't it :p), I recommend
using a program called Dosbox (there is a gui for it called dboxfe ...
very young gui so its a bit ... difficult to use such that available
options seem a bit overwhelming at times).

Hope that helps, if not then please provide more info so I can better
understand your problem :)

--
adz21c