Inspiron 7500 Fan Control

fred

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I'm working on a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop which is running VERY slow. It
was acquired 2nd hand and has had things re-installed more than once. It's
currently has XP Home and the latest Dell BIOS flashed. I notice that there
is a paucity of drivers and Dell support programs available for download at
the Dell website for this model. For instance there is NO chipset nor Dell
mobo downloadable drivers (ACPI?) available for this model. Also I can find
no place in BIOS setup for these settings.

The fan comes on full speed very briefly during power-on post and then never
runs again. The system crawls as the Pentium is throttling to very slow
speeds. Where is the fan speed control SW or settings for the Inspiron
7500. How do I repair/fix this issue?

Thanks

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

check your power control settings. Make sure it is set to Home/office
desktop or always on. This will ensure your CPU runs at full speed. I'm
not sure how to control your fan on that box. If it was almost any
other inspiron I would say i8kfanGUI, but it says it doesn't work for
the 7500.

JF

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In message <z5Tne.279497$cg1.73137@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
fred <fred@hotmaim.con> writes

>I'm working on a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop which is running VERY slow. It
>was acquired 2nd hand and has had things re-installed more than once. It's
>currently has XP Home and the latest Dell BIOS flashed. I notice that there
>is a paucity of drivers and Dell support programs available for download at
>the Dell website for this model. For instance there is NO chipset nor Dell
>mobo downloadable drivers (ACPI?) available for this model. Also I can find
>no place in BIOS setup for these settings.
>
>The fan comes on full speed very briefly during power-on post and then never
>runs again. The system crawls as the Pentium is throttling to very slow
>speeds. Where is the fan speed control SW or settings for the Inspiron
>7500. How do I repair/fix this issue?

Our former parish priest has the same machine but with win/me O/S and
had exactly the same problem. Click on a program and several seconds
passed before the machine responded. I ran Symantec's 'Systemworks 2003
professional edition' Win Doctor (which doesn't have to be installed
because it runs directly from the CD-ROM). After an incredible long
period of frantic hard disc activity, it came up with a message to say
that there were about 400 registry errors and did we want Win Doctor to
fix them?

After a 'Y' and another ferocious hard disk session, Win Doctor
completed the repairs to the registry. A reboot and the machine ran
sweet as a nut.

Although the Windows default settings for files and buffers are
adequate, defraging the hard disk and optimizing the registry produced a
further improvement.

--
James Follett. Novelist. (G1LXP) http://www.jamesfollett.dswilliams.co.uk
"Return of the Eagles", the last book in James Follett's 'Eagles' trilogy

"JF" <jf@NOSPAMmarage.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In message <z5Tne.279497$cg1.73137@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> fred <fred@hotmaim.con> writes
>
> >I'm working on a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop which is running VERY slow.
It
> >was acquired 2nd hand and has had things re-installed more than once.
It's
> >currently has XP Home and the latest Dell BIOS flashed. I notice that
there
> >is a paucity of drivers and Dell support programs available for download
at
> >the Dell website for this model. For instance there is NO chipset nor
Dell
> >mobo downloadable drivers (ACPI?) available for this model. Also I can
find
> >no place in BIOS setup for these settings.
> >
> >The fan comes on full speed very briefly during power-on post and then
never
> >runs again. The system crawls as the Pentium is throttling to very slow
> >speeds. Where is the fan speed control SW or settings for the Inspiron
> >7500. How do I repair/fix this issue?
>
> Our former parish priest has the same machine but with win/me O/S and
> had exactly the same problem. Click on a program and several seconds
> passed before the machine responded. I ran Symantec's 'Systemworks 2003
> professional edition' Win Doctor (which doesn't have to be installed
> because it runs directly from the CD-ROM). After an incredible long
> period of frantic hard disc activity, it came up with a message to say
> that there were about 400 registry errors and did we want Win Doctor to
> fix them?
>
> After a 'Y' and another ferocious hard disk session, Win Doctor
> completed the repairs to the registry. A reboot and the machine ran
> sweet as a nut.
>
> Although the Windows default settings for files and buffers are
> adequate, defraging the hard disk and optimizing the registry produced a
> further improvement.

The FAN is the issue here.

<Geodanah@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> check your power control settings. Make sure it is set to Home/office
> desktop or always on. This will ensure your CPU runs at full speed. I'm
> not sure how to control your fan on that box. If it was almost any
> other inspiron I would say i8kfanGUI, but it says it doesn't work for
> the 7500.

Yes, I found i8kfanGUI. How does one control the fan on a 7500?

JF

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In message <L3%ne.280747$cg1.114706@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
fred <fred@hotmaim.con> writes

>"JF" <jf@NOSPAMmarage.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> In message <z5Tne.279497$cg1.73137@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
>> fred <fred@hotmaim.con> writes
>>
>> >I'm working on a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop which is running VERY slow.
>It
>> >was acquired 2nd hand and has had things re-installed more than once.
>It's
>> >currently has XP Home and the latest Dell BIOS flashed. I notice that
>there
>> >is a paucity of drivers and Dell support programs available for download
>at
>> >the Dell website for this model. For instance there is NO chipset nor
>Dell
>> >mobo downloadable drivers (ACPI?) available for this model. Also I can
>find
>> >no place in BIOS setup for these settings.
>> >
>> >The fan comes on full speed very briefly during power-on post and then
>never
>> >runs again. The system crawls as the Pentium is throttling to very slow
>> >speeds. Where is the fan speed control SW or settings for the Inspiron
>> >7500. How do I repair/fix this issue?
>>
>> Our former parish priest has the same machine but with win/me O/S and
>> had exactly the same problem. Click on a program and several seconds
>> passed before the machine responded. I ran Symantec's 'Systemworks 2003
>> professional edition' Win Doctor (which doesn't have to be installed
>> because it runs directly from the CD-ROM). After an incredible long
>> period of frantic hard disc activity, it came up with a message to say
>> that there were about 400 registry errors and did we want Win Doctor to
>> fix them?
>>
>> After a 'Y' and another ferocious hard disk session, Win Doctor
>> completed the repairs to the registry. A reboot and the machine ran
>> sweet as a nut.
>>
>> Although the Windows default settings for files and buffers are
>> adequate, defraging the hard disk and optimizing the registry produced a
>> further improvement.
>
>The FAN is the issue here.

No -- read the original post in which the writer reported thus: 'I'm
working on a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop which is running VERY slow.' I
wager that the fan's apparent malfunction is a symptom, not the cause of
the problem.

--

In message <K5%ne.884180$w62.814517@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
fred <fred@hotmaim.con> writes

><Geodanah@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> check your power control settings. Make sure it is set to Home/office
>> desktop or always on. This will ensure your CPU runs at full speed. I'm
>> not sure how to control your fan on that box. If it was almost any
>> other inspiron I would say i8kfanGUI, but it says it doesn't work for
>> the 7500.
>
>Yes, I found i8kfanGUI. How does one control the fan on a 7500?

Don't worry too much about the CPU fan just yet. Get the machine's
software/OS working properly from cold. In the Dell I fixed, once the
O/S was fixed, the fan kicked in normally.

--

> In message <L3%ne.280747$cg1.114706@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> fred <fred@hotmaim.con> writes
> >
> >"JF" <jf@NOSPAMmarage.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> >>
> >> In message <z5Tne.279497$cg1.73137@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> >> fred <fred@hotmaim.con> writes

> >It
> >It's
> >there
> >at
> >Dell
> >find

> >never
Inspiron

> >> Our former parish priest has the same machine but with win/me O/S and
> >> had exactly the same problem. Click on a program and several seconds
> >> passed before the machine responded. I ran Symantec's 'Systemworks 2003
> >> professional edition' Win Doctor (which doesn't have to be installed
> >> because it runs directly from the CD-ROM). After an incredible long
> >> period of frantic hard disc activity, it came up with a message to say
> >> that there were about 400 registry errors and did we want Win Doctor to
> >> fix them?
> >>
> >> After a 'Y' and another ferocious hard disk session, Win Doctor
> >> completed the repairs to the registry. A reboot and the machine ran
> >> sweet as a nut.
> >>
> >> Although the Windows default settings for files and buffers are
> >> adequate, defraging the hard disk and optimizing the registry produced
> >> further improvement.
> >
> >The FAN is the issue here.
>
> No -- read the original post in which the writer reported thus:

Can we find a clue...who is the OP?

> 'I'm
> working on a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop which is running VERY slow.' I
> wager that the fan's apparent malfunction is a symptom, not the cause of
> the problem.

Wager away but you are wrong.

> In message <K5%ne.884180$w62.814517@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> fred <fred@hotmaim.con> writes
> >
> ><Geodanah@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> check your power control settings. Make sure it is set to Home/office
> >> desktop or always on. This will ensure your CPU runs at full speed. I'm
> >> not sure how to control your fan on that box. If it was almost any
> >> other inspiron I would say i8kfanGUI, but it says it doesn't work for
> >> the 7500.
> >
> >Yes, I found i8kfanGUI. How does one control the fan on a 7500?
>
> Don't worry too much about the CPU fan just yet. Get the machine's
> software/OS working properly from cold. In the Dell I fixed, once the
> O/S was fixed, the fan kicked in normally.

Gain more experience in these matters before making such unfounded
recommendations.

JF

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In message <icboe.282706$cg1.57561@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
fred <fred@hotmaim.con> writes

>"JF" <jf@NOSPAMmarage.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In message <K5%ne.884180$w62.814517@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
>> fred <fred@hotmaim.con> writes
>> >
>> ><Geodanah@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> >Yes, I found i8kfanGUI. How does one control the fan on a 7500?
>>
>> Don't worry too much about the CPU fan just yet. Get the machine's
>> software/OS working properly from cold. In the Dell I fixed, once the
>> O/S was fixed, the fan kicked in normally.
>
>Gain more experience in these matters before making such unfounded
>recommendations.

Oh dear. Your sour grapes are showing up most prettily. You don't get
much more experience than encountering the same problem with the same
machine and fixing it, which I did with the application of software and
common sense so I can well understand why the matter has you in state of
befuddled, utter confusion. That the machine was slow from switch on and
that the fan didn't start were BIG CLUES! A reinstallation of the Dell
drivers from the Dell proprietary system CD-ROM and running Symantec's
Win Doctor in their SystemWorks fixed the problem so that, as I
reported, the machine ran as sweet as a nut thereafter. I also reported
that defragging the hard disk, as I expected, made a marginal
improvement.

Try reading some of the earlier and later posts in the thread which bear
me out. You could try moving your lips at the same time.

--
James Follett. Novelist. (G1LXP) http://www.jamesfollett.dswilliams.co.uk
"Return of the Eagles", the last book in James Follett's 'Eagles' trilogy
published by Severn House, London & New York, Dec 2004

fred

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"totalstranger" <totalstranger@not.yahoo.net> wrote in message

-snip

> Have you been into the guts of these machines like I have? If you had
> you would know the fan is merely an on/off device without sensors.

CPU fans don't usually have sensors. Recent laptops use the sensor onboard
the Intel core and then drive the fan based of that reading. The fan comes
on when the CPU temp. gets about 30C. colder than the CPU self throttle
temp. A fan being on/off vs speed control really has nothing to do with the
issue. As you said in your earlier post, your fan comes on under intense
CPU usage....do you think that happens by magic?

The fan on this 7500 is not broken as it does come on briefly during POST
and NEVER after that as I've repeatedly stated.

SO the question remains THE FAN. What causes the fan to come on/off and how
does one get to that functionality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31534&item=5204941101&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

On or about 6/4/2005 10:05 PM, it came to pass that fred wrote:
> "totalstranger" <totalstranger@not.yahoo.net> wrote in message
>
> -snip
>

>>Have you been into the guts of these machines like I have? If you had
>>you would know the fan is merely an on/off device without sensors.
>

> CPU fans don't usually have sensors. Recent laptops use the sensor onboard
> the Intel core and then drive the fan based of that reading. The fan comes
> on when the CPU temp. gets about 30C. colder than the CPU self throttle
> temp. A fan being on/off vs speed control really has nothing to do with the
> issue. As you said in your earlier post, your fan comes on under intense
> CPU usage....do you think that happens by magic?
>
> The fan on this 7500 is not broken as it does come on briefly during POST
> and NEVER after that as I've repeatedly stated.
>
> SO the question remains THE FAN. What causes the fan to come on/off and how
> does one get to that functionality.
>

>>It
>>has but one wire for power. Take a look at this link on Ebay
>>

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31534&item=5204941101&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
>
>>or key in dell 7500 cooling on an ebay search

On the 7000/7500, there is no external control.

> On or about 6/4/2005 10:05 PM, it came to pass that fred wrote:
> > "totalstranger" <totalstranger@not.yahoo.net> wrote in message
> >
> > -snip
> >

> >>Have you been into the guts of these machines like I have? If you had
> >>you would know the fan is merely an on/off device without sensors.
> >

> > CPU fans don't usually have sensors. Recent laptops use the sensor
onboard
> > the Intel core and then drive the fan based of that reading. The fan
comes
> > on when the CPU temp. gets about 30C. colder than the CPU self throttle
> > temp. A fan being on/off vs speed control really has nothing to do with
the
> > issue. As you said in your earlier post, your fan comes on under
intense
> > CPU usage....do you think that happens by magic?
> >
> > The fan on this 7500 is not broken as it does come on briefly during
POST
> > and NEVER after that as I've repeatedly stated.
> >
> > SO the question remains THE FAN. What causes the fan to come on/off and
how
> > does one get to that functionality.
> >

> >>It
> >>has but one wire for power. Take a look at this link on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31534&item=5204941101&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

> >>or key in dell 7500 cooling on an ebay search
> >

> On the 7000/7500, there is no external control.

You are self impeaching. You said your fan comes on under heavy CPU usage
and then goes off under light CPU usage. Does that happen by magic?? If
not then how does that come to pass?? "no external control" demonstrates
precisely that you haven't yet come to grips with the issue at hand....THE
FAN and when and how it comes on!

On or about 6/4/2005 10:47 PM, it came to pass that fred wrote:
> "totalstranger" <totalstranger@not.yahoo.net> wrote in message
>
>>On or about 6/4/2005 10:05 PM, it came to pass that fred wrote:
>>
>>>"totalstranger" <totalstranger@not.yahoo.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>>-snip

>>>CPU fans don't usually have sensors. Recent laptops use the sensor
>
> onboard
>
>>>the Intel core and then drive the fan based of that reading. The fan
>
> comes
>
>>>on when the CPU temp. gets about 30C. colder than the CPU self throttle
>>>temp. A fan being on/off vs speed control really has nothing to do with
>
> the
>
>>>issue. As you said in your earlier post, your fan comes on under
>
> intense
>
>>>CPU usage....do you think that happens by magic?
>>>
>>>The fan on this 7500 is not broken as it does come on briefly during
>
> POST
>
>>>and NEVER after that as I've repeatedly stated.
>>>
>>>SO the question remains THE FAN. What causes the fan to come on/off and
>
> how
>
>>>does one get to that functionality.

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31534&item=5204941101&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

>>On the 7000/7500, there is no external control.
>

> You are self impeaching. You said your fan comes on under heavy CPU usage
> and then goes off under light CPU usage. Does that happen by magic?? If
> not then how does that come to pass?? "no external control" demonstrates
> precisely that you haven't yet come to grips with the issue at hand....THE
> FAN and when and how it comes on!

It's not my issue. Bye

"fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote in message
> I'm working on a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop which is running VERY
> slow. It
> was acquired 2nd hand and has had things re-installed more than
> once. It's
> currently has XP Home and the latest Dell BIOS flashed. I notice
> that there
> is a paucity of drivers and Dell support programs available for
> download at
> the Dell website for this model. For instance there is NO chipset
> nor Dell
> mobo downloadable drivers (ACPI?) available for this model. Also I
> can find
> no place in BIOS setup for these settings.
>
> The fan comes on full speed very briefly during power-on post and
> then never
> runs again. The system crawls as the Pentium is throttling to very
> slow
> speeds. Where is the fan speed control SW or settings for the
> Inspiron
> 7500. How do I repair/fix this issue?

The i7500 and lesser cousin i5000 (which I have) are well known for
their fan to hardly ever come on. IIRC the later BIOS updates made
the fan come on even less in order to save power when on battery. And
again IIRC, the only cpu throttling that occurs is with the SpeedStep
processors. But even then there are only 2 speeds (ie, 650 or 500) -
the cpu speed is not continuously variable, it only switches between
the 2 speeds.

XP has a builtin driver that throttles it down to the slower speed
when on battery (I don't think the dell hardware throttles it down due
to temp) ... AFAIK there is no way to keep XP from throttling it down
when on batt unless the mobo has a setting for this in BIOS (which the
i5000 has, I'm surprised the i7500 does not have that setting).
Before I upgraded to XPpro I was running 98SE and a DOS-based 3rd
party fan control applet did let me manually control the fan, but it
does not work in XP - so my i5000 gets burning hot to the touch even
at just the lower cpu speed; but, it never runs slower than that lower
speed.

"Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message

> The i7500 and lesser cousin i5000 (which I have) are well known for
> their fan to hardly ever come on. IIRC the later BIOS updates made
> the fan come on even less in order to save power when on battery.

AH, so the BIOS/SW does/can control the fan.

> And
> again IIRC, the only cpu throttling that occurs is with the SpeedStep
> processors.

Nope, but with SpeedStep it's more sophisticated and more levels.

> But even then there are only 2 speeds (ie, 650 or 500) -
> the cpu speed is not continuously variable, it only switches between
> the 2 speeds.

Yep, but with SpeedStep I believe there are more.

> XP has a builtin driver that throttles it down to the slower speed
> when on battery (I don't think the dell hardware throttles it down due
> to temp)

Then under hat circumstances does the fan EVER come on?

On or about 6/9/2005 12:30 PM, it came to pass that fred wrote:

> Then under hat circumstances does the fan EVER come on?

Try baking the machine in the oven at 200Celius, the fan may come for
short time just before it melts.

muskrat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
Hi,
I was wondering if you ever sorted this problem out.
I have just been given the same laptop and I believe its suffering the same problem. Although this one hangs after about 4 mins from cold, and about 30 secs if I switch off and on. I cant even install Win 2000 in the given time, it freezes during the format hdd bluescreen, so its nothing to do with drivers as the other guy was going on about.
Even running Linux from a cd it hangs, so I am convinced its a heat related issue due to the fan not spinning.

Thanks for any help