PCI 3D CARD Choice for an upgrade

G

I'm looking for recommendation for an upgrade to a new 3D card. Problem is, I have a PCI motherboard that seems to be somewhat outdated now with AGP being the only source of upgrade. With not having a AGP port, does anyone have any idea's on which might be the best PCI card to get that is on the street? Any and all input would be great, have searched, but to no avail. Also, is there anyway to jump to AGP? without buying a new motherboard?

Thanks again...:)

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A graphics card upgrade may not be your best bet. Describe your system.

<font color=red>To <b>HELL</b> with your damned cookie</font color=red>.... :mad: ptooo!! :mad:

G

That would probably help. It's a COMPAQ AMD 500 mhz, 128 sdram, creative graphics 8 meg VOODOO2 3D card, WIN 98SE. It has a AGP chipset on the COMPAQ motherboard, not worth much use. Thanks again...

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I would disable the onboard video (if you can) and get the 32MB Radeon PCI card. It only has standard SDRAM, not the typical DDR, but it will still beat your current setup by a long shot.

Also, is your AMD 500 a K6-2 or a slot Athlon? If it is a K6-2, then just upgrade the whole system, because just upgrading the video won't do much on your current setup with a K6-2.

G

It is a AMD K6-2. I had looked at the Radeon, but as you said, it might not be worth updating. Without purchasing a new system, I may upgrade to this point and then put together a newer system once it can't be used any longer... Thanks again...

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Just to inform you.... You can build yourself a Duron system for around $500. If you have the money, I would do that since you will notice a huge increase in system and game performance. You could probably do it for even less than that since you can most likely keep your current hard drive and various other components if you so choose.