I am having trouble on a clean install of xp home. I have no problems until
I get to about 80% of install and then several files are "unable to be copied
to hard drive." It isn't necessarily the same files each time. I have
swapped out CD drives with the same result. It looked like there was a
scratch on the cd, so I used a 3M repair kit and it removed the small
scratch, but had the same result. Does anyone have any suggestions? It is a
an OEM version, does that affect the support I can get?

You need to contact the seller of your OEM Windows XP CD
and request a replacement for your damaged CD. Microsoft does
not offer installation support for OEM versions, only "Retail Versions".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"seanfrickster" wrote:

| I am having trouble on a clean install of xp home. I have no problems until
| I get to about 80% of install and then several files are "unable to be copied
| to hard drive." It isn't necessarily the same files each time. I have
| swapped out CD drives with the same result. It looked like there was a
| scratch on the cd, so I used a 3M repair kit and it removed the small
| scratch, but had the same result. Does anyone have any suggestions? It is a
| an OEM version, does that affect the support I can get?

You can get plenty of support at these public newsgroups. Make a note to see
the hardware group named
microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
and
microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

Hardware wise, do you have a USB keyboard, SCSI drives, anything beyond the
ordinary ?
If have USB keyboard, use a PS2-type during XP setup.

Guide to upgrading (or new install) Win XP at Aumha.org
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

HTH

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
>I am having trouble on a clean install of xp home. I have no problems
>until
> I get to about 80% of install and then several files are "unable to be
> copied
> to hard drive." It isn't necessarily the same files each time. I have
> swapped out CD drives with the same result. It looked like there was a
> scratch on the cd, so I used a 3M repair kit and it removed the small
> scratch, but had the same result. Does anyone have any suggestions? It
> is a
> an OEM version, does that affect the support I can get?

Sean,
Don't believe those other soothsayers. It's a hardware problem! Most
likely the motherboard but check the memory also. Try the install with just
one memory module.

seanfrickster wrote:
> I am having trouble on a clean install of xp home. I have no
> problems until I get to about 80% of install and then several files
> are "unable to be copied to hard drive." It isn't necessarily the
> same files each time. I have swapped out CD drives with the same
> result. It looked like there was a scratch on the cd, so I used a 3M
> repair kit and it removed the small scratch, but had the same result.
> Does anyone have any suggestions? It is a an OEM version, does that
> affect the support I can get?

While it may be a damaged cd, I would also run the hardware compatiblity
wizard first if you have not, to rule out any hardware that may cause issue.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

seanfrickster wrote:
> I am having trouble on a clean install of xp home. I have no problems until
> I get to about 80% of install and then several files are "unable to be copied
> to hard drive." It isn't necessarily the same files each time. I have
> swapped out CD drives with the same result. It looked like there was a
> scratch on the cd, so I used a 3M repair kit and it removed the small
> scratch, but had the same result. Does anyone have any suggestions? It is a
> an OEM version, does that affect the support I can get?

Problems copying files or corrupted files during installation are
most often caused by defective or sub-standard hardware; in order of
likelihood, either RAM, the hard drive, or the motherboard. On very
rare occasions the installation CD is the problem.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm