Hello,

I've got XP Pro SP2. My JPE, JPEG, JPG files are displaying the Netscape
icon next to them even though I have gone to Windows Explorer > Tools >
Folder Options and set it up so that Photoshop opens each of these file
types. The Photoshop icon is displayed in the Folder Options as it should
be, and the files do open in Photoshop, but if I go to File > Open in
Photoshop, all of these files have the Netscape icon. How do I make it so
the Photoshop icon is displayed for these? Thanks.

Mark

insMark,
You really don't want Photoshop as your default for opening jpegs. It's
too memory intensive! Use the default Windows program for that.

"Mark Christensen" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've got XP Pro SP2. My JPE, JPEG, JPG files are displaying the Netscape
> icon next to them even though I have gone to Windows Explorer > Tools >
> Folder Options and set it up so that Photoshop opens each of these file
> types. The Photoshop icon is displayed in the Folder Options as it should
> be, and the files do open in Photoshop, but if I go to File > Open in
> Photoshop, all of these files have the Netscape icon. How do I make it so
> the Photoshop icon is displayed for these? Thanks.
>
> Mark

Mark,

Start Regedit.exe and navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.JPG
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\JPEGFILE

Export the contents to REG files and post them here.

Alternately,
Repair image file type associations in Windows XP:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Mark Christensen" <markc@ssbrakes.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've got XP Pro SP2. My JPE, JPEG, JPG files are displaying the Netscape
> icon next to them even though I have gone to Windows Explorer > Tools >
> Folder Options and set it up so that Photoshop opens each of these file
> types. The Photoshop icon is displayed in the Folder Options as it should
> be, and the files do open in Photoshop, but if I go to File > Open in
> Photoshop, all of these files have the Netscape icon. How do I make it so
> the Photoshop icon is displayed for these? Thanks.
>
> Mark

OK, here's what I got:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg]

"PerceivedType"="image"

@="MozillaJPEG"

"Content Type"="image/jpeg"

"PreviousAssociation"="MozillaJPEG"

"PerceivedType_old"="image"

"Roxio7.OldVal"="Photoshop.JPEGFile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg\OpenWithProgids]

"jpegfile"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg\PersistentHandler]

@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

AND

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]

"PerceivedType"="image"

@="MozillaJPEG"

"Content Type"="image/jpeg"

"PreviousAssociation"="MozillaJPEG"

"Roxio7.OldVal"="Photoshop.JPEGFile"

"PerceivedType_old"="image"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\OpenWithProgids]

"jpegfile"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\PersistentHandler]

@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

Thanks for your help!

> Mark,
>
> Start Regedit.exe and navigate to:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.JPG
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\JPEGFILE
>
> Export the contents to REG files and post them here.
>
> Alternately,
> Repair image file type associations in Windows XP:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Mark Christensen" <markc@ssbrakes.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've got XP Pro SP2. My JPE, JPEG, JPG files are displaying the Netscape
>> icon next to them even though I have gone to Windows Explorer > Tools >
>> Folder Options and set it up so that Photoshop opens each of these file
>> types. The Photoshop icon is displayed in the Folder Options as it
>> should
>> be, and the files do open in Photoshop, but if I go to File > Open in
>> Photoshop, all of these files have the Netscape icon. How do I make it
>> so
>> the Photoshop icon is displayed for these? Thanks.
>>
>> Mark

Type in Start, Run:

cmd /c ASSOC .jpg=jpegfile
cmd /c ASSOC .jpeg=jpegfile

Followed by this command:

regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

Logoff and login back.

--

> OK, here's what I got:
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>

> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg]
>
> "PerceivedType"="image"
>
> @="MozillaJPEG"

OK, the Netscape icon is no longer showing up next to the files, but the
icon that is showing is still not the one I want. How change I change what
icon is showing? I know I've done this before but can't remember how. I
really appreciate the help!

Mark

> Type in Start, Run:
>
> cmd /c ASSOC .jpg=jpegfile
> cmd /c ASSOC .jpeg=jpegfile
>
> Followed by this command:
>
> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
>
> Logoff and login back.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Mark Christensen" <markc@ssbrakes.com> wrote in message
>> OK, here's what I got:
>>
>> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>

>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg]
>>
>> "PerceivedType"="image"
>>
>> @="MozillaJPEG"

Use the File Types dialog to change the icon now.

--

> OK, the Netscape icon is no longer showing up next to the files, but the
> icon that is showing is still not the one I want. How change I change
> what icon is showing? I know I've done this before but can't remember
> how. I really appreciate the help!
>
> Mark
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Type in Start, Run:
>>
>> cmd /c ASSOC .jpg=jpegfile
>> cmd /c ASSOC .jpeg=jpegfile
>>
>> Followed by this command:
>>
>> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
>>
>> Logoff and login back.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Mark Christensen" <markc@ssbrakes.com> wrote in message
>>> OK, here's what I got:
>>>
>>> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>>

>>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg]
>>>
>>> "PerceivedType"="image"
>>>
>>> @="MozillaJPEG"

That's the thing - the Photoshop icon is displaying in the File Types dialog
(just like it was before) but it is still not displaying in Windows Explorer
nor in Photoshop's File > Open. Intead of the Netscape icon displaying, a
mainly white icon with a little bit of orange and red in the center is
displayed.

> Use the File Types dialog to change the icon now.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Mark Christensen" <markc@ssbrakes.com> wrote in message
>> OK, the Netscape icon is no longer showing up next to the files, but the
>> icon that is showing is still not the one I want. How change I change
>> what icon is showing? I know I've done this before but can't remember
>> how. I really appreciate the help!
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Type in Start, Run:
>>>
>>> cmd /c ASSOC .jpg=jpegfile
>>> cmd /c ASSOC .jpeg=jpegfile
>>>
>>> Followed by this command:
>>>
>>> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
>>>
>>> Logoff and login back.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "Mark Christensen" <markc@ssbrakes.com> wrote in message

Is this the icon you're seeing?
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/images/thbimg.JPG

>> the Photoshop icon is displaying in the File Types dialog

Don't worry about that. Click the "Advanced" button and change the icon. If
nothing helps , try imgassofix.htm link a try.

--

> That's the thing - the Photoshop icon is displaying in the File Types
> dialog (just like it was before) but it is still not displaying in Windows
> Explorer nor in Photoshop's File > Open. Intead of the Netscape icon
> displaying, a mainly white icon with a little bit of orange and red in the
> center is displayed.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Use the File Types dialog to change the icon now.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Mark Christensen" <markc@ssbrakes.com> wrote in message
>>> OK, the Netscape icon is no longer showing up next to the files, but the
>>> icon that is showing is still not the one I want. How change I change
>>> what icon is showing? I know I've done this before but can't remember
>>> how. I really appreciate the help!
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>

>>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

Yes, that's now what I'm seeing.