Game Recommendation

uther

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
Okay, apparently none of my posts last night worked, so here goes.

I am upgrading to a new PC and was wondering if anyone had recommendations on the best FPS and flight sim available today. I have been out of the game market for a while since my current PC is so awful it can't really run anything (ever tried playing Counter Strike at 10 frames per second - not fun!).

Thanks!

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I like Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Clive Barker's Undying among FPS titels. IMO, MS Flight Simulatiore 2002 is the best flight sim.

Let us know <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25703#25703" target="_new"> What File compression format you use? </A>

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
Yeah I agree MOHAA is a good one. UT2k3 is pretty fun too. And I've seen Max Payne for CHEAP recently, plus the Serious Sams are cheap.....still waiting on Doom3 and DeusEx 2 though. Others to consider are Return to Castle Wolfenstein, No One Lives Forever 1/2, and Jedi Knight II.

Flight sims I have little idea about. IL-2 Sturmovik is a WWII combat sim that was well-received, although I'm sure the latest MS Flight Sim is excellent too.

I've not played it yet but isn't Battlefield 1942 a combination of both?

Skipper007

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Okay, this goes back awhile, but if you can find a copy of it, try Legend's Wheel of Time. It has to be one of the most horribly underappreciated shooters ever.

In addition, most of the above, and if you like sci fi, don't hesitate to try Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force.

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Wheel of Time was great. Also, I think the Thief games 1 and 2. Also System Shock 1 and 2, great games and not your typical shooters.

For a really wierd one, Bad Mojo!

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

skimanjohn

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
Here we go! Medal of Honor Allied Assult,Aliens and Predator 2,IL-2 Sturmovik...flight sim WW2,Return to Castle Wolfenstein,Mafia...great! Other good recent games are Clive Barkers Undying,American McGees Alice,Deus Ex,System Shock 2,Soldier of Fortune 2..good multiplayer.
These are all a good start.Mafia demands a fast sys with a pretty good vid card to ramp up all graphics options,GF4 Ti4200 128ddr or better.
Go to Gamespot.com and download the demos and see if they meet your style before buying!Enjoy!

bopa

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
To make i Short .. IL2 sturmovick ... new version pending ....
And if U want a completely different game .. flightsim, first person shooter panser and naval sim combined ... check out http://www.wwiionline.com
One of the most landbraeking games today.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Wolfenstien is a god dam CLASSIC! I remember when my uncle got the first copy and made a copy for my dad on a Floppy! that was a great game.

This Community is like a Second Family!!

CasaubonEco

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
grab a copy of medal of honor single player fps, ut2003 for multi death match and download the rogue spear raven shield demo. forget cs
Medievel total war or age of mythology for your strategy fix.
Neverwinter knights, for your dungeun crawlin needs

A computer is as fast as its slowest part
And sometimes the slowest part is the user :cool:

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I am looking forward to Unreal 2 The Awakening coming out in January. It is built on the new Unreal engine, same engine as UT2003, and should be good if they can keep with their name. I've seen some preview clips and movies from it and it looks absolutely incredible.

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a descision for myself.</b>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Halflife and CS for sure... Just cause they're classics.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Skipper007

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Classic Trash actually has System Shock 1 available for download, but I can't figure out how to get it to work. BTW, I tried the disk version, the CD version is like 10 times the size...

Here's the link if you want to try it.

www.classic-trash.com

Only the ones with green squares beside the titles can be downloaded though. Just so you don't think that you can actually download No One Lives Forever or Red Alert 2. Those are just links to info pages and web sites that carry those games.

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
What OS are you using? I have a separate hard drive just for DOS games, Falcon 4.0 etc.

You may have to make a DOS boot disk for System Shock 1. Oh the memories of having to make boot disks for different games. Also, depending on your soundcard you may need to load DOS drivers.

Here is a link that might help you get it running.
<A HREF="http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/faq/#1" target="_new">http://www.ttlg.com/ss1/faq/#1</A>

Lots of old great games out there!

the Prisoner

Skipper007

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Thanks, I don't have a lot of time right now but I'll try to get it working at some point. The main problem is figuring out how to extract the disks - they're in some sort of zip format in the download from Classic Trash, specifically, a self extracting zip of some kind that seems to crash when I run Winzip on them then click the install button. It launchs into a DOS box then crashes, so I think it's supposed to be run in DOS, I should try that. I'm running 98SE, but the sound card shouldn't be a problem, since I have a Sound Blaster AWE64, and I think I have a spare hard drive lying around which I could put DOS 6.22 on.

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I believe the SB AWE 64 should be able to run DOS games, but
you may have to load new( or old drivers!) drivers.

The game does run in DOS, maybe the CD version is easier to configure. I guess you could try booting to DOS and run PKunzip to extract it. Do you remember your DOS commands? hehe.

For alot of games you will need to make separate boot disks or configure the autoexec and config for each game.

These abandonware type sites have good forums. Download games for free and legal.

Have Fun,
the Prisoner