Sign in with
Your question

Please help. Server crashing.

Last response: in Business Computing
October 3, 2012 2:00:52 PM

We bought a new server about a month ago and it's been running fine, but every now and then when I come in the morning it is shut off and the fans are running very loudly. So I just restart it and run system repair and everything is fine.

Now when it starts the computer freezes and there is Pink and black lines all over the monitor.

Could this possibly be a Motherboard error?

More about : server crashing

Anonymous
October 3, 2012 2:22:02 PM

Loud fans would normally indicate a heat problem, however having said that, every server I have ever worked with run the cooling system at full power as part of the power on test, so it could be stuck at some point during the boot process. The lines on the monitor sound like bad video or shared ram to me. Get the vendors in to sort it out under warranty.
October 3, 2012 2:27:18 PM

Lets say the computer isn't able to work anymore. The HDDs ran in RAID 1, so it is possible to recover the data on them at all?
Related resources
October 3, 2012 2:33:27 PM

I think you were right about shared RAM. It had 16 gigs in it, I took out 3 of the 4 cards and its running longer than it did before.
Anonymous
October 3, 2012 2:40:38 PM

Yes the data will be recoverable from the RAID1 drives in the event of a system failure, assuming they both don't fail at the same time, this is no excuse not to back the data up to alternative media though.

If this server is new (few months old) why are you pulling components out of it, that could invalidate your warranty.

Or when you say "server" do you in fact mean just a glorified PC
October 3, 2012 2:50:16 PM

Its a server from TigerDirect. I don't think it has any sort of warranty. It wasn't put together very well from the looks of it.

For this company buying a few new sticks of ram, or a motherboard on a 1g Server is better than spending 5g+ on something that is professionally made with a warranty.

I'm making another backup as we speak. Everything is running smooth right now. Thank god.
Anonymous
October 3, 2012 2:58:56 PM

At some point I expect this company will then learn the meaning of false economy.
October 3, 2012 3:21:39 PM

Put each RAM module in and see if one is causing the issue. You can then move them to each slot and see if it is a bad slot.
October 4, 2012 2:00:48 AM

If you noticed that the issue seemed to disappear when you removed RAM, it may not actually be related to the RAM itself but perhaps memory controller or just specific DIMMs on the motherboard. I've had a similar issue happen before on a basic motherboard (read: cheap) from someone else's build. We ran Memtest86+, which is a free boot-time scanner for memory errors, and discovered that RAM installed in a specific slot always read errors no matter what stick was inserted. Furthermore, those same sticks of RAM that read errors were installed in a separate computer and tested without any issues.
!