Can i use a dell laptop's powerpack to charge an hp laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

twiny

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hello,my power pack blew,so i want to find out can i use a dell laptop powerpack of 19.5v and slightly lower amperage than my hp laptop of 19v and 4.5A? thanks

Solution
@ warezme and nexmorbus.
On Amps.
For the "brick" this is simply a max rating at which the rated Voltage can be supplied. If the output deice draws More currnt than this then the output voltage will drop. This value has NO relationship to what the "real" current is. Real current is dictated by the ouput device impeadance (Resistance) and the amount of Voltage supplied to the device (Current = Voltage divided by Resistance).

Correct answer is, If it fits (sometimes the outside of the barrow oes fit but the center hole is to large) and the Polarity is correct (as nexmorbus pointed out). While that is pretty mch standorized probably should be verified.

nexmorbus

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Don't forget to make sure the connection has the same poles (depending on your laptop it can be positive (+) in the middle and negative (-) on the outside or the other way around entirely)

@ warezme and nexmorbus.
On Amps.
For the "brick" this is simply a max rating at which the rated Voltage can be supplied. If the output deice draws More currnt than this then the output voltage will drop. This value has NO relationship to what the "real" current is. Real current is dictated by the ouput device impeadance (Resistance) and the amount of Voltage supplied to the device (Current = Voltage divided by Resistance).

Correct answer is, If it fits (sometimes the outside of the barrow oes fit but the center hole is to large) and the Polarity is correct (as nexmorbus pointed out). While that is pretty mch standorized probably should be verified.

Solution
I was gonna say that AMPS do NOT fry things.

I have an old Cannon printer power supply running a 5.1 x 2 in 5.1 out analog mixer and its rating is WAY over what the thing uses(we are talking about something that is good for at LEAST 1+ amp and a device taking 0.052 amps[it only takes what it needs]. Truly it is the most inefficient setup ever, but all the other power supplies made too much humm and my filtering sucks).

^ Lots of laughs. You could always build a better PSU using a series regulated design. Quite, Very low output ripple/noise, abiet not as eff.
But on topic what you stated is 100% correct in this case.
When applied to a electric Fryng pan, well I guess it is the amps that generate the heat: Power = Current X voltage - LOL

Have good beginners guide? I have no clue of the proper coil values for a cap/coil/cap filter. I think that is all I need. I never knew how bad power supplies could be before trying to use one for audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.