Files not listed in alphanumeric order

Hello,

I've got Windows XP Pro and when I go into Windows Explorer and go to my
Photos folder, the files are not listed in alphanumeric order even though I
have them listed by name in ascending order.

Here's an example of how they are displaying:

2464.jpg
8442.jpg
21203.jpg
A18.jpg
A38GS.jpg
A109.jpg

This is how I want them displayed:

21203.jpg
2464.jpg
8442.jpg
A109.jpg
A18.jpg
A38GS.jpg

I had this all set up on my old XP Pro computer but figure out how I did it.
I believe I might have had to change a registry entry, but I can't remember.
How can I get my files to display the way I want them to? Thanks.

Mark

Forgive me if this is not what you mean. In Windows Explorer, select your
Photos folder, and view it via "details." The header for that column is
Name. Click on that header to give the list a different sort. you can then
return it to thumbnail view.
DSG

"Mark Christensen" <markc@ssbrakes.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've got Windows XP Pro and when I go into Windows Explorer and go to my
> Photos folder, the files are not listed in alphanumeric order even though
> I have them listed by name in ascending order.
>
> Here's an example of how they are displaying:
>
> 2464.jpg
> 8442.jpg
> 21203.jpg
> A18.jpg
> A38GS.jpg
> A109.jpg
>
> This is how I want them displayed:
>
> 21203.jpg
> 2464.jpg
> 8442.jpg
> A109.jpg
> A18.jpg
> A38GS.jpg
>
> I had this all set up on my old XP Pro computer but figure out how I did
> it. I believe I might have had to change a registry entry, but I can't
> remember. How can I get my files to display the way I want them to?
> Thanks.
>
> Mark

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got Windows XP Pro and when I go into Windows Explorer
> and go to my
> Photos folder, the files are not listed in alphanumeric order
> even though I
> have them listed by name in ascending order.
>
> Here's an example of how they are displaying:
>
> 2464.jpg
> 8442.jpg
> 21203.jpg
> A18.jpg
> A38GS.jpg
> A109.jpg
>
> This is how I want them displayed:
>
> 21203.jpg
> 2464.jpg
> 8442.jpg
> A109.jpg
> A18.jpg
> A38GS.jpg
>
> I had this all set up on my old XP Pro computer but figure out
> how I did it.
> I believe I might have had to change a registry entry, but I
> can't remember.
> How can I get my files to display the way I want them to?
> Thanks.
>
> Mark

If a file name has numbers at the begining, it will work out the value
of that number and sort them by value (highest to lowest) 21203 is
higher then 8442 which is higher then 2464. Not sure if this behavior
can be stoped.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Files-listed-alphanumeric-order-ftopict407563.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1352163

I was able to change this using the instructions found in Ramesh's first
post.

"Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "" wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've got Windows XP Pro and when I go into Windows Explorer
> > and go to my
> > Photos folder, the files are not listed in alphanumeric order
> > even though I
> > have them listed by name in ascending order.
> >
> > Here's an example of how they are displaying:
> >
> > 2464.jpg
> > 8442.jpg
> > 21203.jpg
> > A18.jpg
> > A38GS.jpg
> > A109.jpg
> >
> > This is how I want them displayed:
> >
> > 21203.jpg
> > 2464.jpg
> > 8442.jpg
> > A109.jpg
> > A18.jpg
> > A38GS.jpg
> >
> > I had this all set up on my old XP Pro computer but figure out
> > how I did it.
> > I believe I might have had to change a registry entry, but I
> > can't remember.
> > How can I get my files to display the way I want them to?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Mark
>
> If a file name has numbers at the begining, it will work out the value
> of that number and sort them by value (highest to lowest) 21203 is
> higher then 8442 which is higher then 2464. Not sure if this behavior
> can be stoped.

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Files-listed-alphanumeric-order-ftopict407563.html

Mark,

The sort order for files and folders whose names contain numerals is
different in Windows XP than it is in Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319827

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Mark Christensen" <markc@ssbrakes.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've got Windows XP Pro and when I go into Windows Explorer and go to my
> Photos folder, the files are not listed in alphanumeric order even though
> I have them listed by name in ascending order.
>
> Here's an example of how they are displaying:
>
> 2464.jpg
> 8442.jpg
> 21203.jpg
> A18.jpg
> A38GS.jpg
> A109.jpg
>
> This is how I want them displayed:
>
> 21203.jpg
> 2464.jpg
> 8442.jpg
> A109.jpg
> A18.jpg
> A38GS.jpg
>
> I had this all set up on my old XP Pro computer but figure out how I did
> it. I believe I might have had to change a registry entry, but I can't
> remember. How can I get my files to display the way I want them to?
> Thanks.
>
> Mark

Thanks, that worked perfect!

> Mark,
>
> The sort order for files and folders whose names contain numerals is
> different in Windows XP than it is in Windows 2000:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319827
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Mark Christensen" <markc@ssbrakes.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've got Windows XP Pro and when I go into Windows Explorer and go to my
>> Photos folder, the files are not listed in alphanumeric order even though
>> I have them listed by name in ascending order.
>>
>> Here's an example of how they are displaying:
>>
>> 2464.jpg
>> 8442.jpg
>> 21203.jpg
>> A18.jpg
>> A38GS.jpg
>> A109.jpg
>>
>> This is how I want them displayed:
>>
>> 21203.jpg
>> 2464.jpg
>> 8442.jpg
>> A109.jpg
>> A18.jpg
>> A38GS.jpg
>>
>> I had this all set up on my old XP Pro computer but figure out how I did
>> it. I believe I might have had to change a registry entry, but I can't
>> remember. How can I get my files to display the way I want them to?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Mark

You're welcome Mark. Note that TweakUI Powertoy automates this function.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> Thanks, that worked perfect!
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Mark,
>>
>> The sort order for files and folders whose names contain numerals is
>> different in Windows XP than it is in Windows 2000:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319827
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Mark Christensen" <markc@ssbrakes.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've got Windows XP Pro and when I go into Windows Explorer and go to my
>>> Photos folder, the files are not listed in alphanumeric order even
>>> though I have them listed by name in ascending order.
>>>
>>> Here's an example of how they are displaying:
>>>
>>> 2464.jpg
>>> 8442.jpg
>>> 21203.jpg
>>> A18.jpg
>>> A38GS.jpg
>>> A109.jpg
>>>
>>> This is how I want them displayed:
>>>
>>> 21203.jpg
>>> 2464.jpg
>>> 8442.jpg
>>> A109.jpg
>>> A18.jpg
>>> A38GS.jpg
>>>
>>> I had this all set up on my old XP Pro computer but figure out how I did
>>> it. I believe I might have had to change a registry entry, but I can't
>>> remember. How can I get my files to display the way I want them to?
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Mark

TRENDING THREADS