Windows has completely messed up

On my other computer, Windows has completely messed up. Everything was
running fine and then suddenly, my icons begin to dissappear, and i can no
longer see the taskbar. all that is left is the background. I can no longer
check anything on that computer. I was running a virus check and such before
the computer messed up, however, it dissappeared also right in the middle. I
am afraid that my computer has been infected. What can I do?

As a first step, I would remove the virus(es).

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"legatobluesummers07" <legatobluesummers07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:A1B20811-618F-4436-8D9D-3C7E2F04031E@microsoft.com...
> On my other computer, Windows has completely messed up. Everything was
> running fine and then suddenly, my icons begin to dissappear, and i can no
> longer see the taskbar. all that is left is the background. I can no
longer
> check anything on that computer. I was running a virus check and such
before
> the computer messed up, however, it dissappeared also right in the middle.
> am afraid that my computer has been infected. What can I do?

i have tried removing the viruses, however, it dissappeared before i could.
now what can i do?

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> As a first step, I would remove the virus(es).
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "legatobluesummers07" <legatobluesummers07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:A1B20811-618F-4436-8D9D-3C7E2F04031E@microsoft.com...
> > On my other computer, Windows has completely messed up. Everything was
> > running fine and then suddenly, my icons begin to dissappear, and i can no
> > longer see the taskbar. all that is left is the background. I can no
> longer
> > check anything on that computer. I was running a virus check and such
> before
> > the computer messed up, however, it dissappeared also right in the middle.
> > am afraid that my computer has been infected. What can I do?

A suggestion.. remove the drive from the computer, and install into another
as a slave.. check for virus infestation, and then retrieve any important
stuff from it like e-mail, photos, music etc..

After having done this, replace the drive back into the original computer,
and use whatever media you have to do a fresh install/recovery.. then
copy/import your saved data back to it..

For more on XP installation, go to http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

Good luck

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

legatobluesummers07 wrote:
> On my other computer, Windows has completely messed up.
> Everything was running fine and then suddenly, my icons
> begin to dissappear, and i can no longer see the taskbar.
> all that is left is the background. I can no longer check
> anything on that computer. I was running a virus check and
> such before the computer messed up, however, it dissappeared
> also right in the middle. I am afraid that my computer has
> been infected. What can I do?

On the problem computer, hit the Ctrl + Alt + Del buttons all
at the same time.
This should bring up Task Manager.
In Task Manager, click on File -> New Task.
Enter explorer.exe in the Open box and hit the OK button.
Hopefully, this will restore your Taskbar and desktop.

If this doesn't help, you might want to take a look here for a
way to run System Restore:

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304449

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Reformat and re-install! You have a virus! if your system has an "enable
virus check" mode do so. You do not want it to infect your BIOS.

"legatobluesummers07" wrote:

> On my other computer, Windows has completely messed up. Everything was
> running fine and then suddenly, my icons begin to dissappear, and i can no
> longer see the taskbar. all that is left is the background. I can no longer
> check anything on that computer. I was running a virus check and such before
> the computer messed up, however, it dissappeared also right in the middle. I
> am afraid that my computer has been infected. What can I do?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:26:11 -0700, "legatobluesummers07"
<legatobluesummers07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i have tried removing the viruses, however, it dissappeared before i could.
>now what can i do?

Sounds like you have installed malware, spyware or as already
mentioned, a virus. You might try booting to safe mode and trying to
run the various tools to remove & repair the problem. If you can't
run it in safe mode, then I'd suggest you find technical support.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Have you tried safemode.