Spyware and Virus Scans with multiple User accounts in XP

Hi guys. My name is Todd and I am an MCSE (2003). I was wondering if anyone
has found the solution to my problem...

Scenario: I have a computer that's bogged down with viruses and spyware
that I remove with multiple spyware programs (adaware se, spybot) and virus
scanners (avg, trend, pandasoftware)...nothing unusual here. But then I get
to a computer that has 4 users (i.e. mom, dad, child1, child2) and I take
care of all of the problems under the main account (dad).

Question: How the heck do I perform just 1 scan to cover all of the
different users. The way I normally do it, one account will be all clear
good to go..then I'll log into another account and it's got all the problems
the first user had and more. Then I have to start all over waiting for the
different scans like it's another computer! This multiplies the time it
takes to clean a computer (3 accounts = 3 times the work!)

I've tried booting into safe mode and running all of the scans from the
administrator account but that just adds another account to scan! Nothing
works!

Thanks for your help in advance,

Todd

MCSE 2003
MCSA
MCP
MCDBA SQL Server 2000
15 answers Last reply
More about spyware virus scans multiple user accounts

    You would probabily need to do the complete scan as the "hidden"
    Administrator account.

    "MCSE_TODD" <MCSE_TODD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi guys. My name is Todd and I am an MCSE (2003). I was wondering if
    > anyone
    > has found the solution to my problem...
    >
    > Scenario: I have a computer that's bogged down with viruses and spyware
    > that I remove with multiple spyware programs (adaware se, spybot) and
    > virus
    > scanners (avg, trend, pandasoftware)...nothing unusual here. But then I
    > get
    > to a computer that has 4 users (i.e. mom, dad, child1, child2) and I take
    > care of all of the problems under the main account (dad).
    >
    > Question: How the heck do I perform just 1 scan to cover all of the
    > different users. The way I normally do it, one account will be all clear
    > good to go..then I'll log into another account and it's got all the
    > problems
    > the first user had and more. Then I have to start all over waiting for
    > the
    > different scans like it's another computer! This multiplies the time it
    > takes to clean a computer (3 accounts = 3 times the work!)
    >
    > I've tried booting into safe mode and running all of the scans from the
    > administrator account but that just adds another account to scan! Nothing
    > works!
    >
    > Thanks for your help in advance,
    >
    > Todd
    >
    > MCSE 2003
    > MCSA
    > MCP
    > MCDBA SQL Server 2000

    Both Ad-Aware and Spybot have custom scanning features in fact I think they
    all do. Since most spyware/adware is downloaded, installed and run from the
    current users temp and/or temporary internet files folder what you should do
    is add those users Document and Settings folder to a custom scan for your
    antispyware scanners.

    "MCSE_TODD" <MCSE_TODD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi guys. My name is Todd and I am an MCSE (2003). I was wondering if
    > anyone
    > has found the solution to my problem...
    >
    > Scenario: I have a computer that's bogged down with viruses and spyware
    > that I remove with multiple spyware programs (adaware se, spybot) and
    > virus
    > scanners (avg, trend, pandasoftware)...nothing unusual here. But then I
    > get
    > to a computer that has 4 users (i.e. mom, dad, child1, child2) and I take
    > care of all of the problems under the main account (dad).
    >
    > Question: How the heck do I perform just 1 scan to cover all of the
    > different users. The way I normally do it, one account will be all clear
    > good to go..then I'll log into another account and it's got all the
    > problems
    > the first user had and more. Then I have to start all over waiting for
    > the
    > different scans like it's another computer! This multiplies the time it
    > takes to clean a computer (3 accounts = 3 times the work!)
    >
    > I've tried booting into safe mode and running all of the scans from the
    > administrator account but that just adds another account to scan! Nothing
    > works!
    >
    > Thanks for your help in advance,
    >
    > Todd
    >
    > MCSE 2003
    > MCSA
    > MCP
    > MCDBA SQL Server 2000

    "MCSE_TODD" <MCSE_TODD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi guys. My name is Todd and I am an MCSE (2003). I was wondering if
    > anyone
    > has found the solution to my problem...
    >
    > Scenario: I have a computer that's bogged down with viruses and spyware
    > that I remove with multiple spyware programs (adaware se, spybot) and
    > virus
    > scanners (avg, trend, pandasoftware)...nothing unusual here. But then I
    > get
    > to a computer that has 4 users (i.e. mom, dad, child1, child2) and I take
    > care of all of the problems under the main account (dad).
    >
    > Question: How the heck do I perform just 1 scan to cover all of the
    > different users. The way I normally do it, one account will be all clear
    > good to go..then I'll log into another account and it's got all the
    > problems
    > the first user had and more. Then I have to start all over waiting for
    > the
    > different scans like it's another computer! This multiplies the time it
    > takes to clean a computer (3 accounts = 3 times the work!)
    >
    > I've tried booting into safe mode and running all of the scans from the
    > administrator account but that just adds another account to scan! Nothing
    > works!
    >
    > Thanks for your help in advance,

    Unfortunately some spyware cannot be removed unless you scan while logged in
    as each user. Webroot Spysweeper seems to do the best job at removing
    spyware from all users while logged in as Administrator but I have seen
    cases where I had to log in as each user in normal mode, run HijackThis and
    some process explorer tools, note the offending files and registry entries,
    then reboot from a CDROM with BartPe to fix things.

    Kerry

    First to respond to the above replys...
    I mentioned that I already signed in as the Admin account and it didn't work.

    I also checked the custom scan options in both spybot and adaware and both
    programs default to everything under my computer, which is what I have been
    scanning. If I am scanning other users files, it seems like it would stop
    the need to log in as each user, but that's not the case.

    Thanks to both of you for trying, but I'm still looking for a solution.

    I think you're right Kerry in saying that there's probably no way to do it
    without logging in with each user. I haven't used spysweeper although many
    people whose computers stop working have it installed and it may not be
    working all that well.
    (no idea if they've actually run it or updated it recently).

    I feel this is a problem with XP and I hope to see a fix in the new "Vista"
    which will replace XP one day.
    click here for more info-
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

    Anyway, keep the ideas coming if you have any!

    I actually learned how to schedule Spybot to update and run automatically
    every night which I hadn't learned before...that's a great trick! You go to
    advanced mode, settings, scheduler - if anyone's interested.
    Adaware has command line options which would let you do it too, but they
    apparently only work with the paid versions of the program (it doesn't auto
    scan or auto update automatically without the paid program.)

    Thanks,

    TODD

    "Kerry Brown" wrote:

    > "MCSE_TODD" <MCSE_TODD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi guys. My name is Todd and I am an MCSE (2003). I was wondering if
    > > anyone
    > > has found the solution to my problem...
    > >
    > > Scenario: I have a computer that's bogged down with viruses and spyware
    > > that I remove with multiple spyware programs (adaware se, spybot) and
    > > virus
    > > scanners (avg, trend, pandasoftware)...nothing unusual here. But then I
    > > get
    > > to a computer that has 4 users (i.e. mom, dad, child1, child2) and I take
    > > care of all of the problems under the main account (dad).
    > >
    > > Question: How the heck do I perform just 1 scan to cover all of the
    > > different users. The way I normally do it, one account will be all clear
    > > good to go..then I'll log into another account and it's got all the
    > > problems
    > > the first user had and more. Then I have to start all over waiting for
    > > the
    > > different scans like it's another computer! This multiplies the time it
    > > takes to clean a computer (3 accounts = 3 times the work!)
    > >
    > > I've tried booting into safe mode and running all of the scans from the
    > > administrator account but that just adds another account to scan! Nothing
    > > works!
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help in advance,
    > >

    > Unfortunately some spyware cannot be removed unless you scan while logged in
    > as each user. Webroot Spysweeper seems to do the best job at removing
    > spyware from all users while logged in as Administrator but I have seen
    > cases where I had to log in as each user in normal mode, run HijackThis and
    > some process explorer tools, note the offending files and registry entries,
    > then reboot from a CDROM with BartPe to fix things.
    >
    > Kerry

    Are you doing a smart scan or a full scan of all files with AdaWare?
    If the latter, then accounts should have nothing to do with it. I was
    just doing this very thing on 3 systems last night, but I only had to
    do it once on each, and each one had multiple accounts.

    Kinda proud of that "MCSE" aren't we...;+}

    -Jim

    I was doing a full scan every time.

    I have done this on many computers and it's always the same. Did you try to
    sign into another account on the computers you were working on last night and
    run another scan to confirm all was clear? If not...try it and you'll see
    what I mean.

    Todd

    p.s. It's new as of this summer....so yes...pretty proud of it. :)

    "jtpryan@gmail.com" wrote:

    > Are you doing a smart scan or a full scan of all files with AdaWare?
    > If the latter, then accounts should have nothing to do with it. I was
    > just doing this very thing on 3 systems last night, but I only had to
    > do it once on each, and each one had multiple accounts.
    >
    > Kinda proud of that "MCSE" aren't we...;+}
    >
    > -Jim

    Why did it not work? It is not an XP issue. There are programs that will
    scan everything they are just not free. You already know about SpySweeper
    try Ewido I think it is better then Spysweeper in scanning. Here is a link
    to the trial version.

    Ewido Security Suite Trial version

> [...]
    >> > it
    >> > takes to clean a computer (3 accounts = 3 times the work!)
    >> >
    >> > I've tried booting into safe mode and running all of the scans from the
    >> > administrator account but that just adds another account to scan!
    >> > Nothing
    >> > works!
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your help in advance,
    >> >

    >> Unfortunately some spyware cannot be removed unless you scan while logged
    >> in
    >> as each user. Webroot Spysweeper seems to do the best job at removing
    >> spyware from all users while logged in as Administrator but I have seen
    >> cases where I had to log in as each user in normal mode, run HijackThis
    >> and
    >> some process explorer tools, note the offending files and registry
    >> entries,
    >> then reboot from a CDROM with BartPe to fix things.

    I have used ewido before and while I was impressed that it said it took about
    9000 files off of an infected computer, I still removed hundreds of infected
    files afterwards using adaware and spybot. I think it's a great program (and
    a necessity for removing the likes of Aurora / Nail.exe malware), but it
    doesn't fix the problem I'm having.

    If the files are all being scanned then the programs should find/remove all
    of them not just selectively from 1 logged in user. It doesn't matter if
    it's a paid program or not.

    Thanks for your continued imput!

    MCSE_TODD

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Why did it not work? It is not an XP issue. There are programs that will
    > scan everything they are just not free. You already know about SpySweeper
    > try Ewido I think it is better then Spysweeper in scanning. Here is a link
    > to the trial version.
    >
    > Ewido Security Suite Trial version
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/ewidosetup.exe

    > "MCSE_TODD" <MCSETODD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > First to respond to the above replys...
    > > I mentioned that I already signed in as the Admin account and it didn't
    > > work.
    > >
    > > I also checked the custom scan options in both spybot and adaware and both
    > > programs default to everything under my computer, which is what I have
    > > been
    > > scanning. If I am scanning other users files, it seems like it would stop
    > > the need to log in as each user, but that's not the case.
    > >
    > > Thanks to both of you for trying, but I'm still looking for a solution.
    > >
    > > I think you're right Kerry in saying that there's probably no way to do it
    > > without logging in with each user. I haven't used spysweeper although
    > > many
    > > people whose computers stop working have it installed and it may not be
    > > working all that well.
    > > (no idea if they've actually run it or updated it recently).
    > >
    > > I feel this is a problem with XP and I hope to see a fix in the new
    > > "Vista"
    > > which will replace XP one day.
    > > click here for more info-
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx
    > >
    > > Anyway, keep the ideas coming if you have any!
    > >
    > > I actually learned how to schedule Spybot to update and run automatically
    > > every night which I hadn't learned before...that's a great trick! You go
    > > advanced mode, settings, scheduler - if anyone's interested.
    > > Adaware has command line options which would let you do it too, but they
    > > apparently only work with the paid versions of the program (it doesn't
    > > auto
    > > scan or auto update automatically without the paid program.)
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > TODD
    > >

    > > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "MCSE_TODD" <MCSE_TODD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > >> Unfortunately some spyware cannot be removed unless you scan while logged
    > >> in
    > >> as each user. Webroot Spysweeper seems to do the best job at removing
    > >> spyware from all users while logged in as Administrator but I have seen
    > >> cases where I had to log in as each user in normal mode, run HijackThis
    > >> and
    > >> some process explorer tools, note the offending files and registry
    > >> entries,
    > >> then reboot from a CDROM with BartPe to fix things.
    > >>
    > >> Kerry

    That's what I was trying to tell him. It works for me maybe he is not using
    the current version.

    <jtpryan@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Are you doing a smart scan or a full scan of all files with AdaWare?
    > If the latter, then accounts should have nothing to do with it. I was
    > just doing this very thing on 3 systems last night, but I only had to
    > do it once on each, and each one had multiple accounts.
    >
    > Kinda proud of that "MCSE" aren't we...;+}
    >
    > -Jim

    I'm using adaware se 1.06 fully updated and Spybot search and destroy 1.4
    updated.

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > That's what I was trying to tell him. It works for me maybe he is not using
    > the current version.

    > <jtpryan@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Are you doing a smart scan or a full scan of all files with AdaWare?
    > > If the latter, then accounts should have nothing to do with it. I was
    > > just doing this very thing on 3 systems last night, but I only had to
    > > do it once on each, and each one had multiple accounts.
    > >
    > > Kinda proud of that "MCSE" aren't we...;+}
    > >
    > > -Jim

    Yep those are current. I don't know why it is not working for you. The only
    folder that needs to be added is the other users C:\Documents and
    Settings\other user name folders\ to the scan.

    > I'm using adaware se 1.06 fully updated and Spybot search and destroy 1.4
    > updated.
    >

    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> That's what I was trying to tell him. It works for me maybe he is not
    >> using
    >> the current version.
    >>
    >> --

    >> <jtpryan@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Are you doing a smart scan or a full scan of all files with AdaWare?
    >> > If the latter, then accounts should have nothing to do with it. I was
    >> > just doing this very thing on 3 systems last night, but I only had to
    >> > do it once on each, and each one had multiple accounts.
    >> >
    >> > Kinda proud of that "MCSE" aren't we...;+}
    >> >
    >> > -Jim

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    > Yep those are current. I don't know why it is not working for you. The
    > only folder that needs to be added is the other users C:\Documents and
    > Settings\other user name folders\ to the scan.

    Neither Adaware or Spybot properly scan the user hives of the registry for
    users other the currently logged in one.

    Kerry
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Ad-Aware does by default. If you click on the gear icon at the top and
    select tweak settings, under scan settings by default it is set scan the
    registry for all users

    > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >> Yep those are current. I don't know why it is not working for you. The
    >> only folder that needs to be added is the other users C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\other user name folders\ to the scan.
    >>

    > Neither Adaware or Spybot properly scan the user hives of the registry for
    > users other the currently logged in one.
    >
    > Kerry

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > Ad-Aware does by default. If you click on the gear icon at the top and
    > select tweak settings, under scan settings by default it is set scan the
    > registry for all users

    I know it's supposed to do that. It doesn't always work. I have often seen
    Adaware find more registry entries when you log in as each user in turn (in
    safe mode) and do another scan. Harmless really as the files themselves are
    already gone but it bothers me nonetheless. Some versions of Purity Scan
    seem to cause this behaviour. I have seen others too but can't recall
    specifics right now.

    Kerry

    >> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >>> Yep those are current. I don't know why it is not working for you. The
    >>> only folder that needs to be added is the other users C:\Documents and
    >>> Settings\other user name folders\ to the scan.
    >>>

    >> Neither Adaware or Spybot properly scan the user hives of the registry
    >> for users other the currently logged in one.
    >>
    >> Kerry

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Ok fair enough.

    > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >> Ad-Aware does by default. If you click on the gear icon at the top and
    >> select tweak settings, under scan settings by default it is set scan the
    >> registry for all users
    >>

    > I know it's supposed to do that. It doesn't always work. I have often seen
    > Adaware find more registry entries when you log in as each user in turn
    > (in safe mode) and do another scan. Harmless really as the files
    > themselves are already gone but it bothers me nonetheless. Some versions
    > of Purity Scan seem to cause this behaviour. I have seen others too but
    > can't recall specifics right now.
    >
    > Kerry
    >
    >> --

    >> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
    >>> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Neither Adaware or Spybot properly scan the user hives of the registry
    >>> for users other the currently logged in one.
    >>>
    >>> Kerry

Computers Spyware User Accounts Windows XP