Black screen before welcome screen

I have Dell 4600 which is about 3 years old.I have two hard drives which are
both about 80% full. When I boot up my computer it goes to the Dell screen
and the Windows loading screen. After the Windows screen my computer has a
black screen that will stay for about 4or 5 minutes, during which the
processor does not show signs of working. and then the welcome screen comes
up to select a user. I use Mcafee services as well as Spybot and other
spyware programs. Could anyone help me get the welcome screen to load faster?
6 answers Last reply
More about black screen screen

    Following is only a starter set (though basic).

    Free up space on your hard drives. Run Disk Cleanup. Search for all ..tmp (dot tmp) files. Delete those.

    Run MSCONFIG. Review closely the Startup tab. Trim back on your user startup apps.

    Then close all your user programs, close all antivirus, and all programs in your startup tray. Then run Disk Defragmenter.

    When it is done, Restart Windows.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    kman214 wrote:
    > I have Dell 4600 which is about 3 years old.I have two hard drives
    > which are both about 80% full. When I boot up my computer it goes to
    > the Dell screen and the Windows loading screen. After the Windows
    > screen my computer has a black screen that will stay for about 4or 5
    > minutes, during which the processor does not show signs of working.
    > and then the welcome screen comes up to select a user. I use Mcafee
    > services as well as Spybot and other spyware programs. Could anyone
    > help me get the welcome screen to load faster?

    Thank you, I have this problem with Disk defragmenter where it does not
    completly finish. It says that it has completed but leaves the drive still
    very much fragmented, is there a way to get defragmenter to finish all the
    way, is there a third party defragmenter alternative?

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > Following is only a starter set (though basic).
    >
    > Free up space on your hard drives. Run Disk Cleanup. Search for all ..tmp (dot tmp) files. Delete those.
    >
    > Run MSCONFIG. Review closely the Startup tab. Trim back on your user startup apps.
    >
    > Then close all your user programs, close all antivirus, and all programs in your startup tray. Then run Disk Defragmenter.
    >
    > When it is done, Restart Windows.
    >
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----
    >

    > kman214 wrote:
    > > I have Dell 4600 which is about 3 years old.I have two hard drives
    > > which are both about 80% full. When I boot up my computer it goes to
    > > the Dell screen and the Windows loading screen. After the Windows
    > > screen my computer has a black screen that will stay for about 4or 5
    > > minutes, during which the processor does not show signs of working.
    > > and then the welcome screen comes up to select a user. I use Mcafee
    > > services as well as Spybot and other spyware programs. Could anyone
    > > help me get the welcome screen to load faster?

    Heartily recommend Raxco's PerfectDisk see http://www.raxco.com
    You'll find it to be superior.

    I'm a bit concerned about your statement that Disk Defrag did "not completely finish". You mean it crashed, showed an error condition, or what?
    There are some files it cannot move.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    kman214 wrote:
    > Thank you, I have this problem with Disk defragmenter where it does
    > not completly finish. It says that it has completed but leaves the
    > drive still very much fragmented, is there a way to get defragmenter
    > to finish all the way, is there a third party defragmenter
    > alternative?

    Disk Defragmenter does complete. But it does not do a good job. It hardly
    frees up any disk space.

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > Heartily recommend Raxco's PerfectDisk see http://www.raxco.com
    > You'll find it to be superior.
    >
    > I'm a bit concerned about your statement that Disk Defrag did "not completely finish". You mean it crashed, showed an error condition, or what?
    > There are some files it cannot move.
    >
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----
    >

    > kman214 wrote:
    > > Thank you, I have this problem with Disk defragmenter where it does
    > > not completly finish. It says that it has completed but leaves the
    > > drive still very much fragmented, is there a way to get defragmenter
    > > to finish all the way, is there a third party defragmenter
    > > alternative?

    In article <96AA1F19-269E-4564-8C01-E4D838155E88@microsoft.com>,
    kman214 says...
    > Disk Defragmenter does complete. But it does not do a good job. It hardly
    > frees up any disk space.

    Disk Defragmenters are there to rearrange files, not free up space.

    --
    Conor

    If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
    rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
    music.

    Well it sure has not made it noticably faster, and when I analyze again it is
    still mostly fragmented. If it was doing a good job it wouldn't be done in
    30min. The Win9x defrags used to take hours, they did a good job, and they
    were interesting to watch too.

    "Conor" wrote:

    > In article <96AA1F19-269E-4564-8C01-E4D838155E88@microsoft.com>,
    > kman214 says...
    > > Disk Defragmenter does complete. But it does not do a good job. It hardly
    > > frees up any disk space.
    > >
    > Disk Defragmenters are there to rearrange files, not free up space.
    >
    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
    > rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
    > music.

Windows XP