CryEngine 3 Ready for Massively Multiplayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
"Online gaming is without doubt the future of gaming,"

This guy is obviously an idiot. This is obviously not true of all gamers desires. I know many, many people that don't play online, they want a solid story and great experience. It's like reading a book. MMORPG's are just a time waster for all the lazy ass, unemployed, pieces of shit that call themselves Americans these days. WOW my ass, means "Why? On Welfare!" not World of Warcraft anymore.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]michaelahess[/nom]This guy is obviously an idiot. This is obviously not true of all gamers desires. I know many, many people that don't play online, they want a solid story and great experience. It's like reading a book. MMORPG's are just a time waster for all the lazy ass, unemployed, pieces of shit that call themselves Americans these days. WOW my ass, means "Why? On Welfare!" not World of Warcraft anymore.[/citation]
Find somewhere else to vent your frustration. You're probably an ex-WoW player.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
No, just sick of all the hours people waste on these stupid games. Productivity per individual in America is going down the tubes, and a large part of that is people avoiding life in these games. It's a worse addition than crack.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
[citation][nom]michaelahess[/nom]No, just sick of all the hours people waste on these stupid games. Productivity per individual in America is going down the tubes, and a large part of that is people avoiding life in these games. It's a worse addition than crack.[/citation]

You've very obviously never met/known/seen someone on crack. Trust me, crack is worse than WoW in every definition. And I hate Wow.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I want to make a point that dollar for dollar basis, that being addicted to games is cheaper than buying crack or spending nights at bars or drinking. Also gaming doesn't have long term effects on your organs like crack, booze, and drugs. I don't believe you can "overdose" on a video game, or game yourself to death, even though i'm quite sure you can if you really really really tried. I find video games to be safer as a "stress reducer" than compared to other habits that people use to do before video games to relieve stress. (like drugs)

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Am not into online gaming... did it once for 2 months and then realized that am wasting my life in a repetitive loop.

However, don't get me wrong please... I am not against online gaming. It's just like saying am not into music games such as Guitar Hero and stuff.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Heaven forbid that good game play was the future of gaming!
I like multi player, I love l4d and CS, and TF2, but its NOT the be all and end all! not every game needs to be multi player!! Portal was a fantastic game, and look! no multi player! who would of thought that good story and game play could lead to an awesome game, even without the shining light that multi player apparently brings to every singly F*&#ing genre!!!

It's just the latest buzz word! riding off of the 'success' of twitter and facebook, and all those other web2.0 technologies that just feed off of our need to make our opinions heard (irony/hypocrisy understood).

And in the same way those sites 'work' they don't need to bother coming up with story or gameplay or AI, or any content really, just throw a whole bunch of people in a virtual room together and they will make their own fun. and you can pay us for the privilege.

I like multi player. I probably like single player more. I wish they would stop tacking it on to every single game as a random selling point!

I guess my real problem is "oh, now Multiplayer is awesome?? all of a sudden? we in the PC world have been doing it for over a decade with no one kicking up a fuss, but now the n00b consoles have finally caught up, oh yes, NOW its THE SH*T!!", everyone just ignores PC gaming and yet it's where all the tech comes from. so its like there is this 10 year lag between stuff being invented, and that stuff actually being adopted properly because their are too many people who can't figure out how to install a game on a PC! too many people who buy a PC off the shelf from HP then wonder why it can't run games! so they all flock to the consoles and live in the stone age!

guythepro

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]michaelahess[/nom]No, just sick of all the hours people waste on these stupid games. Productivity per individual in America is going down the tubes, and a large part of that is people avoiding life in these games. It's a worse addition than crack.[/citation]

First of all, why do you care what people do with their time? How is it any of your business? The welfare argument might fly if a good portion, or even a majority of people playing games like WoW are on the government dole, but I seriously doubt that's the case. As a productive, tax-paying citizen who plays WoW, I know many, many people like myself who are anything but unproductive. It's purely anecdotal, but then, so is your argument.

Secondly, the shortage of "productivity per individual" is due to the ever-growing welfare state, not video games.

lunaticstriker

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Have to say playing an MMO really isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be if you are an individual who is like OMG I got sucked in and wasted a ton of time on it you are merely someone who can't just stop to do something more important.

Personally I love MMO's but only for the fact that I can round up my friends on a single game and play with hundreds of others without the need for session seeking or limited interaction; something about seeing a ton of others playing at the same location and time. I just wish a company would get a good shooter MMO out.

Also before anyone is like zomg you are or were a WoW player I will state that I was and that it was a fine game until all my buddies switched over to another game regardless it just comes down to the social end for me be it Counter-strike Source, Halo 2, WoW, Halo 3, COD4, Eve Online, Aion, and then whatever other multi-player/MMO game comes out.

Single-player games are amazing too but multi-players generally have a longer life which is another positive.

davidgrenier

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
The difference between CryTek and and Epic Games as far as game engine's are concerned is that Tim Sweeney knows Unreal Engine 4 is not on par yet with Id Tech5 while CryTek just have no clue about it and are about the bring another buggy/unefficient/bloated game engine to the table.

reichscythe

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
"Online gaming is without doubt the future of gaming,"

And in that bleak, horrid, post-apocalyptic hell-pit of a God-forsaken future, I will no longer be a gamer.

astrotrain1000

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007

I'm guessing people said the same thing about TV when it began to get popular. Those who will be productive will continue to do so and those who won't, would not have been anyways.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]7amood[/nom]Am not into online gaming... did it once for 2 months and then realized that am wasting my life in a repetitive loop.[/citation]

so basicly your saying a online game is like life. whats your argument again?

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]reichscythe[/nom]"Online gaming is without doubt the future of gaming,"And in that bleak, horrid, post-apocalyptic hell-pit of a God-forsaken future, I will no longer be a gamer.[/citation]

the sad thing is that its the past not the future.. online gaming since the late 90's was teh way to keep games alive its only gotten more embedded. online gaming isnt te future of gaming its how games have survived so long in the past 10 years.

kakkoii

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
It's so lame when people mention Aion and the CryEngine...

Aion uses the original freaking CryEngine. Which is ages behind the CryEngine2. Thus making Aion look and play just like an other generic asian MMO.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]kakkoii[/nom]It's so lame when people mention Aion and the CryEngine...Aion uses the original freaking CryEngine. Which is ages behind the CryEngine2. Thus making Aion look and play just like an other generic asian MMO.[/citation]
Still proves the point, that the engine is capable of mmo usage though. If even the original one could, then surely the more elaborate ones can too.

G

michaelahess wrote:

MMORPG's are just a time waster for all the lazy ass, unemployed, pieces of shit that call themselves Americans these days.

You are being narrow-minded and selfish in thinking that "lazy ass, unemployed, pieces of shit" only exist in America. There are lot here in Europe, too.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
It's only addictive if you have an addictive personality. I played a few MMO's and never got addicted. I sometimes want or need to play, but not any certain games, just games in general.

If you look at the people who get addicted, you'll notice there's a pattern to it and they actually are addicted to many things, like cigarettes, alcohol, drugs or other things that people get addicted to that are not so obvious until you look.

Status
Not open for further replies.