Sun Java and Java Plugin

I recently replaced MSJVM with Sun Java. I want to ask if the Java Plug-in
Control Panel 1.3.1_02 is supposed to be removed. In the Add/Remove programs
lists:

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
Java 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition v1.3.1_02

Is the second one suppose to be uninstalled, or is it suppose to be
configured with the first one?
5 answers Last reply
More about java java plugin

    And the support people at Sun said what?

    >I recently replaced MSJVM with Sun Java. I want to ask if the Java Plug-in
    > Control Panel 1.3.1_02 is supposed to be removed. In the Add/Remove
    > programs
    > lists:
    >
    > J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
    > Java 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition v1.3.1_02
    >
    > Is the second one suppose to be uninstalled, or is it suppose to be
    > configured with the first one?

    I'm asking here. I didn't ask at Sun since I never saw any support forum..

    Dan wrote:
    > I recently replaced MSJVM with Sun Java. I want to ask if the Java Plug-in
    > Control Panel 1.3.1_02 is supposed to be removed. In the Add/Remove programs
    > lists:
    >
    > J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
    > Java 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition v1.3.1_02
    >
    > Is the second one suppose to be uninstalled, or is it suppose to be
    > configured with the first one?

    That's one of Sun's more annoying design "features;" installing an
    upgraded version of the JRE doesn't remove and replace the old version.
    You end up with both cluttering up the hard drive. Use the Control
    Panel's Add/Remove programs to uninstall the older version.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Anyway, the site says to not uninstall the older version unless I completely
    find it neccessary, but the one I have is super old.

    Dan wrote:
    > Anyway, the site says to not uninstall the older version unless I completely
    > find it neccessary, but the one I have is super old.

    Not to mention the fact that there are known security problems with
    that older version....

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: