Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a laptop that I've been using for a few years now. It works
perfectly, but lately, now that I connect to the University (UNT) Lan,
either via ethernet or wireless, it occasionally freeze. It only freeze
while on the university lan. At other times if never freeze. I have to
hit the power on/off switch and reboot. How does one go about debugging
a solid freeze?

If there is a more appropriate newsgroup out there a pointer would be
appreciated.

Mucho gracias!
Mike

Hello MPB,

Causes of freeze up are difficult to diagnose. I highly suggest you keep track of all the programs running at the time of "freeze up".

Also, see what Event Viewer has in it's log. Select Start button/ select Run , then type in

eventvwr.msc<enter>
-- or Go to Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools >Event Viewer.

Review the sections and look for Errors or Warnings that match the time the event occurred. Double click---the information "may" give a clue.

Also, your "freeze" may just be Windows encountering a serious error & trying to restart. If true, you need to actually "see" the error.
Be sure to write it down when it occurs.
Right Click the My Computer icon on desktop. Select Properties.
Next, select Advanced. Look for a block that says Startup and recovery. Press the settings button.
In System failure section, turn off (un-check) Automatically restart. Apply change.

Then logoff and restart.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

> I have a laptop that I've been using for a few years now. It works
> perfectly, but lately, now that I connect to the University (UNT) Lan,
> either via ethernet or wireless, it occasionally freeze. It only
> freeze while on the university lan. At other times if never freeze. I
> have to hit the power on/off switch and reboot. How does one go about
> debugging a solid freeze?
>
> If there is a more appropriate newsgroup out there a pointer would be
> appreciated.
>
> Mucho gracias!
> Mike

I would also run a virus / spyware check as the fact that it freezes when
connected to your high speed internet could mean that you have (likely)
hundreds of spyware programs all trying to connect to their makers at the
same time to report info about your surfing habits or worse.

Go to download.com and search for
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4
Ad-aware SE 1.06
SpywareBlaster 3.4

update and run each above program individually. I would also suggest
running these monthly at the very least.

You can perform a free online virus scan at
www.antivirus.com (trend micro)
and
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

Good luck!

Todd

MCSE 2003
MCDBA
MCSA
MCP

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Hello MPB,
>
> Causes of freeze up are difficult to diagnose. I highly suggest you keep track of all the programs running at the time of "freeze up".
>
> Also, see what Event Viewer has in it's log. Select Start button/ select Run , then type in
>
> eventvwr.msc<enter>
> -- or Go to Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools >Event Viewer.
>
> Review the sections and look for Errors or Warnings that match the time the event occurred. Double click---the information "may" give a clue.
>
> Also, your "freeze" may just be Windows encountering a serious error & trying to restart. If true, you need to actually "see" the error.
> Be sure to write it down when it occurs.
> Right Click the My Computer icon on desktop. Select Properties.
> Next, select Advanced. Look for a block that says Startup and recovery. Press the settings button.
> In System failure section, turn off (un-check) Automatically restart. Apply change.
>
> Then logoff and restart.
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> > I have a laptop that I've been using for a few years now. It works
> > perfectly, but lately, now that I connect to the University (UNT) Lan,
> > either via ethernet or wireless, it occasionally freeze. It only
> > freeze while on the university lan. At other times if never freeze. I
> > have to hit the power on/off switch and reboot. How does one go about
> > debugging a solid freeze?
> >
> > If there is a more appropriate newsgroup out there a pointer would be
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Mucho gracias!
> > Mike

Hi Maurice,
Thanks for the response. The eventmanager is way cool, never knew it
existed and recorded so many things. None of them looked like it was
the problem, so I'll keep an eye out for the next lockup.

I don't think it is a Windows restart after a serious error, the
machine is way dead when this happens, mouse dead, all the keys dead,
no disk activity - nothing. And it stays that way until I keep the
power button down for 5-10 seconds.

But I'll turn off the restart function as you suggest.

Have a nice day.
Mike

Bey Vela

Honorable
Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem and still can't find a solution even though I had my computer's system renewed.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

This archived thread is nearly eight years old and if it didn't produce an answer for you, it's better to start a thread of your own with the specific details of your system and it's problem. This thread is being closed now.