XP stops loading after splash screen

Lately I am getting a number of computers, 4 so far this week, that stop
config, or in safe mode either normal or with command prompt, i will scan
with another machine, all of the files are in place, there are no viruses
detected, but when I try to do an inplace upgrade i get a corrupt
installation or unknown installation warning and cannot procede. any ideas on
what is going on here and how to get around it.

Wesleyj
2 answers Last reply
More about stops loading splash screen

    Start your machine with the XP CD in place and go to the recovery console
    From the Setup CD-ROM

    Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted,
    select any options required to boot from the CD.
    When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the
    repair or recover option by pressing R.
    If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation
    that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
    When prompted, type the Administrator password.
    At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands;
    type help for a list of commands, or
    help commandname for help on a specific command. example.........help
    chkdsk
    from there run the chkdsk C: /f command
    this will scan and possibly fix problems on HD

    peterk

    the problem
    "wesleyj" <wesleyj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Lately I am getting a number of computers, 4 so far this week, that stop
    > config, or in safe mode either normal or with command prompt, i will scan
    > with another machine, all of the files are in place, there are no viruses
    > detected, but when I try to do an inplace upgrade i get a corrupt
    > installation or unknown installation warning and cannot procede. any ideas
    > on
    > what is going on here and how to get around it.
    >
    > Wesleyj

    Have tried that, just get the corrupt file system or installation warning

    "peterk" wrote:

    > Start your machine with the XP CD in place and go to the recovery console
    > From the Setup CD-ROM
    >
    > Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted,
    > select any options required to boot from the CD.
    > When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the
    > repair or recover option by pressing R.
    > If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation
    > that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
    > When prompted, type the Administrator password.
    > At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands;
    > type help for a list of commands, or
    > help commandname for help on a specific command. example.........help
    > chkdsk
    > from there run the chkdsk C: /f command
    > this will scan and possibly fix problems on HD

    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
    > the problem
    > "wesleyj" <wesleyj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Lately I am getting a number of computers, 4 so far this week, that stop
    > > config, or in safe mode either normal or with command prompt, i will scan
    > > with another machine, all of the files are in place, there are no viruses
    > > detected, but when I try to do an inplace upgrade i get a corrupt
    > > installation or unknown installation warning and cannot procede. any ideas
    > > on
    > > what is going on here and how to get around it.
    > >
    > > Wesleyj

Splash Screen Windows XP