XP stops loading after splash screen

August 11, 2005 10:38:01 PM

Lately I am getting a number of computers, 4 so far this week, that stop
config, or in safe mode either normal or with command prompt, i will scan
with another machine, all of the files are in place, there are no viruses
detected, but when I try to do an inplace upgrade i get a corrupt
installation or unknown installation warning and cannot procede. any ideas on
what is going on here and how to get around it.

Wesleyj
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:39:24 AM

Start your machine with the XP CD in place and go to the recovery console
From the Setup CD-ROM

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted,
select any options required to boot from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the
repair or recover option by pressing R.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation
that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
When prompted, type the Administrator password.
At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands;
type help for a list of commands, or
help commandname for help on a specific command. example.........help
chkdsk
from there run the chkdsk C: /f command
this will scan and possibly fix problems on HD

peterk

the problem
"wesleyj" <wesleyj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Lately I am getting a number of computers, 4 so far this week, that stop
> config, or in safe mode either normal or with command prompt, i will scan
> with another machine, all of the files are in place, there are no viruses
> detected, but when I try to do an inplace upgrade i get a corrupt
> installation or unknown installation warning and cannot procede. any ideas
> on
> what is going on here and how to get around it.
>
> Wesleyj
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:39:25 AM

Have tried that, just get the corrupt file system or installation warning

!