completely remove previous intallation of Win XP Home

I need to completely remove a previous install of XP home... After formatting
the hd I re-installed and now have 2 XP home edition choices on the boot
start up.

Now what?
3 answers Last reply
More about completely remove previous intallation home

    Are you able to locate these two Windows directories? Are they on the
    same (C:) drive? If they are on the same drive, then you would have had
    to specify an alternate name for at least one of them, since you cannot
    have two directories with the same name (Windows) on one drive.

    If they are not on the same drive/partition, you can simply delete the
    directories (Windows, Documents and Settings, etc.) corresponding to
    the installation you don't wish to keep, and then remove this entry
    from your boot.ini file. You can do this using notepad (be careful to
    not make mistakes! Just remove the appropriate single line).

    If this redundant Windows installation doesn't actually exist anywhere,
    you can, as above, just remove the line from the boot.ini file.

    "Arron" <Arron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I need to completely remove a previous install of XP home... After
    > formatting the hd I re-installed and now have 2 XP home edition
    > choices on the boot start up.
    >
    > Now what?

    Hmmm. I've never seen that happen with a format - are you SURE you did
    actually format the C: drive? Because if you did, that would overwrtite the
    MBR.

    In article <94FB52D1-9B8F-4D14-90CA-1EE3285F788A@microsoft.com>, Arron
    says...
    > I need to completely remove a previous install of XP home... After formatting
    > the hd I re-installed and now have 2 XP home edition choices on the boot
    > start up.
    >
    > Now what?

    Post the contents of the boot.ini file here and we'll tell you what to
    remove.

    --
    Conor

    If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
    rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
    music.

Support Microsoft Windows XP