completely remove previous intallation of Win XP Home

August 11, 2005 11:56:02 PM

I need to completely remove a previous install of XP home... After formatting
the hd I re-installed and now have 2 XP home edition choices on the boot
start up.

Now what?
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:21:22 AM

Are you able to locate these two Windows directories? Are they on the
same (C:)  drive? If they are on the same drive, then you would have had
to specify an alternate name for at least one of them, since you cannot
have two directories with the same name (Windows) on one drive.

If they are not on the same drive/partition, you can simply delete the
directories (Windows, Documents and Settings, etc.) corresponding to
the installation you don't wish to keep, and then remove this entry
from your boot.ini file. You can do this using notepad (be careful to
not make mistakes! Just remove the appropriate single line).

If this redundant Windows installation doesn't actually exist anywhere,
you can, as above, just remove the line from the boot.ini file.
August 12, 2005 2:18:09 PM

"Arron" <Arron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need to completely remove a previous install of XP home... After
> formatting the hd I re-installed and now have 2 XP home edition
> choices on the boot start up.
>
> Now what?

Hmmm. I've never seen that happen with a format - are you SURE you did
actually format the C: drive? Because if you did, that would overwrtite the
MBR.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:31:41 PM

In article <94FB52D1-9B8F-4D14-90CA-1EE3285F788A@microsoft.com>, Arron
says...
> I need to completely remove a previous install of XP home... After formatting
> the hd I re-installed and now have 2 XP home edition choices on the boot
> start up.
>
> Now what?

Post the contents of the boot.ini file here and we'll tell you what to
remove.

--
Conor

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
music.
!