Strange mouse movement

I'm using a Logitec optical wireless mouse with Windows XP Pro. Every night
before closing down, I clear out the documents list. A while back, a strange
thing started happening. When I go through the motions to clear out the
documents, when I click Clear, Okay and Okay, the cursor/pointer jumps to the
middle of my desktop. This is the only time, using any program or doing anything
with the mouse, that it does this. It's strange, and a little annoying, even
though it's only a once or twice a day event. And the fact that it didn't do it
for over a year, then just suddenly started has me perplexed. Anyone have any
idea what could be going on? Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about strange mouse movement

    Hi,
    I had the same problem with my Logitec optical (Wired) mouse I was told it
    is caused by the Optical sensor that detects the movement getting confused due
    to a fault. this was also after a year of use.
    I now own a Belkin optical mouse and this has also developed the same problem.
    I think it might be down to foreign matter getting onto the sensor?

    "rfdjr1@optonline.net" wrote:

    > I'm using a Logitec optical wireless mouse with Windows XP Pro. Every night
    > before closing down, I clear out the documents list. A while back, a strange
    > thing started happening. When I go through the motions to clear out the
    > documents, when I click Clear, Okay and Okay, the cursor/pointer jumps to the
    > middle of my desktop. This is the only time, using any program or doing anything
    > with the mouse, that it does this. It's strange, and a little annoying, even
    > though it's only a once or twice a day event. And the fact that it didn't do it
    > for over a year, then just suddenly started has me perplexed. Anyone have any
    > idea what could be going on? Thanks.

    Thanks. I cleaned the sensor, but why only in the case of clearing documents?
    That's what I don't understand. If it did it all the time, it would make more
    sense.
    >Hi,
    >I had the same problem with my Logitec optical (Wired) mouse I was told it
    >is caused by the Optical sensor that detects the movement getting confused due
    >to a fault. this was also after a year of use.
    >I now own a Belkin optical mouse and this has also developed the same problem.
    >I think it might be down to foreign matter getting onto the sensor?
    >

    >"rfdjr1@optonline.net" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using a Logitec optical wireless mouse with Windows XP Pro. Every night
    >> before closing down, I clear out the documents list. A while back, a strange
    >> thing started happening. When I go through the motions to clear out the
    >> documents, when I click Clear, Okay and Okay, the cursor/pointer jumps to the
    >> middle of my desktop. This is the only time, using any program or doing anything
    >> with the mouse, that it does this. It's strange, and a little annoying, even
    >> though it's only a once or twice a day event. And the fact that it didn't do it
    >> for over a year, then just suddenly started has me perplexed. Anyone have any
    >> idea what could be going on? Thanks.

    Check for the latest available drivers and remove the older ones. Then,
    install the newer one. You have have a driver problem that the later
    release fixed.

    Also, make sure you do not use the optical mice and surface that is "very"
    reflective. You may cause a "false" movemnet detection.

    <rfdjr1@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks. I cleaned the sensor, but why only in the case of clearing
    > documents?
    > That's what I don't understand. If it did it all the time, it would make
    > more
    > sense.
    >>Hi,
    >>I had the same problem with my Logitec optical (Wired) mouse I was told it
    >>is caused by the Optical sensor that detects the movement getting confused
    >>due
    >>to a fault. this was also after a year of use.
    >>I now own a Belkin optical mouse and this has also developed the same
    >>problem.
    >>I think it might be down to foreign matter getting onto the sensor?
    >>

    >>"rfdjr1@optonline.net" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm using a Logitec optical wireless mouse with Windows XP Pro. Every
    >>> night
    >>> before closing down, I clear out the documents list. A while back, a
    >>> strange
    >>> thing started happening. When I go through the motions to clear out the
    >>> documents, when I click Clear, Okay and Okay, the cursor/pointer jumps
    >>> to the
    >>> middle of my desktop. This is the only time, using any program or doing
    >>> anything
    >>> with the mouse, that it does this. It's strange, and a little annoying,
    >>> even
    >>> though it's only a once or twice a day event. And the fact that it
    >>> didn't do it
    >>> for over a year, then just suddenly started has me perplexed. Anyone
    >>> have any
    >>> idea what could be going on? Thanks.

Windows XP