Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CNET: Dell to launch 'Lexus lineup' of PCs

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 4:37:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The No. 1 PC maker said the as-of-yet unnamed brand, which is
slated to debut this fall, would include both desktop and notebooks
priced between $1,200 and $3,500 and positioned just above the
company's Dimension and Inspiron product families...

http://news.com.com/Dell+to+launch+Lexus+lineup+of+PCs/...
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 7:03:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I thought that's what the XPS line was for...
--
Charles C. Shyu
http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:W4GdnXEvXthHsjzfRVn-gg@comcast.com...
> The No. 1 PC maker said the as-of-yet unnamed brand, which is
> slated to debut this fall, would include both desktop and notebooks
> priced between $1,200 and $3,500 and positioned just above the
> company's Dimension and Inspiron product families...
>
> http://news.com.com/Dell+to+launch+Lexus+lineup+of+PCs/...
>
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 1:42:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

No. The XPS is billed as the "ultimate gaming system".

"Charles C. Shyu" <charles_shyu@nymc.edu> wrote in message
news:Yojoe.12777$uR4.11241@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>I thought that's what the XPS line was for...
> --
> Charles C. Shyu
> http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html
>
> "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:W4GdnXEvXthHsjzfRVn-gg@comcast.com...
>> The No. 1 PC maker said the as-of-yet unnamed brand, which is
>> slated to debut this fall, would include both desktop and notebooks
>> priced between $1,200 and $3,500 and positioned just above the
>> company's Dimension and Inspiron product families...
>>
>> http://news.com.com/Dell+to+launch+Lexus+lineup+of+PCs/...
>>
>
>
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 7:19:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It will be interesting to see exactly what hardware and software differences
this new line of PCs will have compared to the XPS line. Dare I say that an
"ultimate gaming system" should have specs at least equal to, or likely
beyond a "high-end home customer" system. We'll see how Dell decides to
market this new brand, and where the XPS line stands...
--
Charles C. Shyu
http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D fpoe.2405$RV5.1190@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
> No. The XPS is billed as the "ultimate gaming system".
>
> "Charles C. Shyu" <charles_shyu@nymc.edu> wrote in message
> news:Yojoe.12777$uR4.11241@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>>I thought that's what the XPS line was for...
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 7:32:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Charles C. Shyu wrote:

> It will be interesting to see exactly what hardware and software differences
> this new line of PCs will have compared to the XPS line. Dare I say that an
> "ultimate gaming system" should have specs at least equal to, or likely
> beyond a "high-end home customer" system. We'll see how Dell decides to
> market this new brand, and where the XPS line stands...

If it's true, my guess is the new line will be workstation type
configurations without any certifications. Kinda like a Precision but
maybe with a 6800 instead od a Quadro card & non-ECC RAM.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 12:43:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It will be even more interesting to see what level of customer/tech support
is provided to customers who buy these "premium" computers from the
Home/Home Office sales division; outsourced overseas support or Dell U.S.
Support.

I also find it ironic that our $3,000 Dimension Desktops, when purchased
through the Home/Home Office sales division, are not considered "high end"
enough to warrant a higher level of tech support than outsourced, overseas
terminal operators.




"Charles C. Shyu" <charles_shyu@nymc.edu> wrote in message
news:0buoe.14025$M36.5260@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> It will be interesting to see exactly what hardware and software
> differences this new line of PCs will have compared to the XPS line. Dare
> I say that an "ultimate gaming system" should have specs at least equal
> to, or likely beyond a "high-end home customer" system. We'll see how
> Dell decides to market this new brand, and where the XPS line stands...
> --
> Charles C. Shyu
> http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html
>
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D fpoe.2405$RV5.1190@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
>> No. The XPS is billed as the "ultimate gaming system".
>>
>> "Charles C. Shyu" <charles_shyu@nymc.edu> wrote in message
>> news:Yojoe.12777$uR4.11241@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>>>I thought that's what the XPS line was for...
>
>
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:58:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Looks like we're still going to have to put up with your "low end" opinions.

Ted Zieglar

"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:f4Foe.2131$rt3.1065@fe03.lga...
> It will be even more interesting to see what level of customer/tech
> support is provided to customers who buy these "premium" computers from
> the Home/Home Office sales division; outsourced overseas support or Dell
> U.S. Support.
>
> I also find it ironic that our $3,000 Dimension Desktops, when purchased
> through the Home/Home Office sales division, are not considered "high end"
> enough to warrant a higher level of tech support than outsourced,
> overseas terminal operators.
>
>
>
>
> "Charles C. Shyu" <charles_shyu@nymc.edu> wrote in message
> news:0buoe.14025$M36.5260@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> It will be interesting to see exactly what hardware and software
>> differences this new line of PCs will have compared to the XPS line.
>> Dare I say that an "ultimate gaming system" should have specs at least
>> equal to, or likely beyond a "high-end home customer" system. We'll see
>> how Dell decides to market this new brand, and where the XPS line
>> stands...
>> --
>> Charles C. Shyu
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html
>>
>> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:D fpoe.2405$RV5.1190@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
>>> No. The XPS is billed as the "ultimate gaming system".
>>>
>>> "Charles C. Shyu" <charles_shyu@nymc.edu> wrote in message
>>> news:Yojoe.12777$uR4.11241@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>>>>I thought that's what the XPS line was for...
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 7:41:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

User N wrote:
> The No. 1 PC maker said the as-of-yet unnamed brand, which is
> slated to debut this fall, would include both desktop and notebooks
> priced between $1,200 and $3,500 and positioned just above the
> company's Dimension and Inspiron product families...
>
> http://news.com.com/Dell+to+launch+Lexus+lineup+of+PCs/...

The text isn't all that lengthy, so here it is:

SAN FRANCISCO--Dell will launch a new premium brand targeted at high-end
home customers, the company announced on Thursday.

The No. 1 PC maker said the as-of-yet unnamed brand, which is slated to
debut this fall, would include both desktop and notebooks priced between
$1,200 and $3,500 and positioned just above the company's Dimension and
Inspiron product families.

"Consider this the Lexus of our lineup," Mike George, vice president of
Dell's U.S. consumer business, said during a press briefing here.
"Defining the high-end is no longer the gearheads who focus on feeds and
speeds. These are folks who get the possibilities of what the PC can do."

George said the initial machines would have a similar look and feel to
Dell's current XPS designs such as its 9100 series PCs, and then evolve
as next-generation hardware features are introduced. Dell said the
premium line will include new form factors as well as the traditional
multimedia consoles, towers, mini-towers, desktops and laptops.

The company said it would also launch a massive advertising campaign
highlighting the premium brand to coincide with its other LCD and plasma
TVs, all-in-one printers and its digital-music players.

"What you will see is a heightened campaign on this brand-focused
identity and its compliment of products of TVs and printer," said Tim
Peters, vice president of printing and imaging with Dell.

Dell said the lion's share of its PC business continues to be its
entertainment-based models, typically for customers willing to spend
between $600 and $1,200 to play games, music and store digital photos.
Dell also heavily supports and develops its budget PC business, whose
offerings range in price from $400 to $700. George noted that the
company's budget customers also include its big-ticket consumers who are
buying a second or third PC for a student in the house.

Despite robust sales in its high-end Dimension and products, George said
Dell is recognizing that an increasing number of customers are asking
for more advanced systems with faster processors and memory,
higher-capacity storage and additional software bundles.

"I don't think those customers have a specific place to go," he said.
"There is not a clear identity to go in that high-end direction. We are
competing for those customers along with companies like HP, Sony, Apple,
Alienware and those customers that basically build their own systems."

The premium systems will also come with a premium service package, which
Dell calls its "white glove" treatment. The service packages will
include expanded online and in-home support. Dell is currently
conducting extensive test programs on its online support.

The service builds on the company's current Dell Support 3.0 client and
allows a customer to authorize a Dell service representative to take
control of a PC. George said customers could choose different levels of
authorization.

"We have one that is similar to those found on those football replay
shows where they circle the action on the screen," George said. "Our
service centers in the U.S. and India can show you where to go and fix
the problem yourself or you can have them do the work for you."

<I believe I removed all the HTML tags>
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 8:18:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Did I ring your doorbell? >g<

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:CvKdnXr4nYeUvD7fRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
> Looks like we're still going to have to put up with your "low end"
> opinions.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:f4Foe.2131$rt3.1065@fe03.lga...
>> It will be even more interesting to see what level of customer/tech
>> support is provided to customers who buy these "premium" computers from
>> the Home/Home Office sales division; outsourced overseas support or Dell
>> U.S. Support.
>>
>> I also find it ironic that our $3,000 Dimension Desktops, when purchased
>> through the Home/Home Office sales division, are not considered "high
>> end" enough to warrant a higher level of tech support than outsourced,
>> overseas terminal operators.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "Charles C. Shyu" <charles_shyu@nymc.edu> wrote in message
>> news:0buoe.14025$M36.5260@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>>> It will be interesting to see exactly what hardware and software
>>> differences this new line of PCs will have compared to the XPS line.
>>> Dare I say that an "ultimate gaming system" should have specs at least
>>> equal to, or likely beyond a "high-end home customer" system. We'll see
>>> how Dell decides to market this new brand, and where the XPS line
>>> stands...
>>> --
>>> Charles C. Shyu
>>> http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html
>>>
>>> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D fpoe.2405$RV5.1190@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
>>>> No. The XPS is billed as the "ultimate gaming system".
>>>>
>>>> "Charles C. Shyu" <charles_shyu@nymc.edu> wrote in message
>>>> news:Yojoe.12777$uR4.11241@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>>>>>I thought that's what the XPS line was for...
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
June 6, 2005 2:59:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I find it interesting that they have compared them to 'Lexus'. Only a few
years ago it would have been 'Rolls-Royce' or 'Mercedes'. How times have
changed!
"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:W4GdnXEvXthHsjzfRVn-gg@comcast.com...
> The No. 1 PC maker said the as-of-yet unnamed brand, which is
> slated to debut this fall, would include both desktop and notebooks
> priced between $1,200 and $3,500 and positioned just above the
> company's Dimension and Inspiron product families...
>
> http://news.com.com/Dell+to+launch+Lexus+lineup+of+PCs/...
>
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:29:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

M wrote:

> I find it interesting that they have compared them to 'Lexus'. Only a few
> years ago it would have been 'Rolls-Royce' or 'Mercedes'. How times have
> changed!

You bet, just ask the US automakers!
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 10:16:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
news:ycYoe.7334$hg.2154@fe12.lga...
>M wrote:
>
>> I find it interesting that they have compared them to 'Lexus'. Only a
>> few years ago it would have been 'Rolls-Royce' or 'Mercedes'. How times
>> have changed!
>
> You bet, just ask the US automakers!

And they will tell you how most Americans prefer to buy cheap foreign
products and
then sit around and whine about how all the jobs are disappearing because
companies
are outsourcing to the cheaper labor force overseas.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 5:56:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"PC Medic" <not@home.com> wrote in message
news:WW3pe.86075$yV4.78112@okepread03...
>
> "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
> news:ycYoe.7334$hg.2154@fe12.lga...
> >M wrote:
> >
> >> I find it interesting that they have compared them to 'Lexus'. Only a
> >> few years ago it would have been 'Rolls-Royce' or 'Mercedes'. How
times
> >> have changed!
> >
> > You bet, just ask the US automakers!
>
> And they will tell you how most Americans prefer to buy cheap foreign
> products and
> then sit around and whine about how all the jobs are disappearing because
> companies
> are outsourcing to the cheaper labor force overseas.

Last time I looked, Lexus was hardly a "cheap foreign product"!
US automakers (particularly GM & Ford) don't seem to know the American car
market and what the consumer wants better than the Japanese. Dodge seems to
have recovered quite well.

And when you get a chance, please list all the "American made" products
left. It shouldn't take long. Manufacturing has done a mass exodus from
the US to cheap labor markets and left little alternative but to buy "cheap
foreign products". It's all that on the shelves! I don't recall the big
demand from the average person/worker to send jobs south with NAFTA or
overseas to Bangladesh. Perot was dead on in his assessment way back when.

People scream about "protectionism" (usually fat cat owners, investors and
politicians that never held a real job in their life). But is it really so
wrong to want to protect your job and families' future? And all the other
jobs it in turn generates.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:51:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

M wrote:

> I find it interesting that they have compared them to 'Lexus'. Only a few
> years ago it would have been 'Rolls-Royce' or 'Mercedes'. How times have
> changed!

40-50 years ago and it might have said "Cadillac" instead of "Lexus".
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:56:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

PC Medic wrote:

> "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
> news:ycYoe.7334$hg.2154@fe12.lga...
>
>>M wrote:
>>
>>>I find it interesting that they have compared them to 'Lexus'. Only a
>>>few years ago it would have been 'Rolls-Royce' or 'Mercedes'. How times
>>>have changed!
>>
>>You bet, just ask the US automakers!
>
> And they will tell you how most Americans prefer to buy cheap foreign
> products and
> then sit around and whine about how all the jobs are disappearing because
> companies
> are outsourcing to the cheaper labor force overseas.

Dude, three words: Honda, Toyota, Nissan

You are waaaay off base here. Japanese cars are hardly "cheap foreign
products" and your comment is particularly amusing in the context of why
Dell compares their new line to Lexus.

The US automakers ignored what was happening with foreign makes,
particularly the Japanese ones, and suffered mightily for it. GM lost
over $1 billion last quarter - I don't think they've really learned
anything.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 5:22:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 06:51:41 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
<Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote:

>40-50 years ago and it might have said "Cadillac" instead of "Lexus".

Yeah. Remember that commercial a few years ago where the showed a '59
Cad and the new model out on the street? I kept saying, "I want the
59!".
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
!