1. What is your budget? Around $1000, would prefer less than that though.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Doesn't matter to me, but bigger is better
3. What screen resolution do you want? 1920x1080 is preferred, 1600x900 is good as well, anything lower I would have to take a second look at.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Either one. I already have a gaming desktop though.
5. How much battery life do you need? The more the better.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I don't need to play games on it, but I will probably play simple games like Minecraft and PoE.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Needs to have a strong processor for brute forcing and such. I will using this laptop to pentest security programs.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? The more the better.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Don't really care.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? Hopefully into college.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc? Don't need one, but I NEED to be able to boot off a usb.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I hate HP. ALOT. I kinda don't like Dell and I hate Apple. I plan on putting Linux on the laptop anyways.
13. What country do you live in? US
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Like I said this will be used for pentesting and occasional hackery. I will play light games on it and use it as a facebook/youtube machine. The better the specs, the more likely I am to buy it. Thanks!
I got a really nice MSI one about 6 months ago for $1200, but now I think u can find a comparable Lenovo for around $800. You'll want one with a quad-core i7 with hyper threading and lots of RAM, so that you can run VM's and other CPU intensive programs. Graphics don't need to be more than low 600 series, unless you will want to play games on it. If so, get at least a GTX 650.