Generic Host Process for win32 services error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generic Host Process for win32 services error on boot up (followed by most
windows functions failing)

This can apparently have many causes (bug in MS security update, old printer
drivers, Sasser etc).

The following cause and fix appears not to be documented.

Eventually tracked down to "Automatic Updates" service by
1. booting in Safe Mode [OK]
2. using MSConfig to boot without any startup services [OK]
One by one, readded services until problem recurred

Little or no documentation regarding this on MS site or elsewhere.
Replacing (?corrupt) wauaueng.dll in system32 with seemingly identical file
from another machine solved problem.

Posted in hope in saves a wasted day for another body!

--
Peter J Fay

"Simply Calenders" Calendar Creation software from Skerryvore Software Ltd

www.SkerryvoreSoftware.com

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your kindly posting and the detailed experience sharing on
how you were successful in resolving your issue. This information has been
added to Microsoft's database. Your solution will benefit many other
users, and we really value having you as a Microsoft customer.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
>From: "Peter Fay" <a@b.com>
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
>Subject: Generic Host Process for win32 services error
>Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 07:23:41 +0000 (UTC)
>
>Generic Host Process for win32 services error on boot up (followed by most
>windows functions failing)
>
>This can apparently have many causes (bug in MS security update, old
printer
>drivers, Sasser etc).
>
>The following cause and fix appears not to be documented.
>
>Eventually tracked down to "Automatic Updates" service by
>1. booting in Safe Mode [OK]
>2. using MSConfig to boot without any startup services [OK]
>One by one, readded services until problem recurred
>
>Little or no documentation regarding this on MS site or elsewhere.
>Replacing (?corrupt) wauaueng.dll in system32 with seemingly identical
file
>from another machine solved problem.
>
>Posted in hope in saves a wasted day for another body!
>
>--
>Peter J Fay
>
>"Simply Calenders" Calendar Creation software from Skerryvore Software Ltd
>
>www.SkerryvoreSoftware.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts