Closed

Generic Host Process for win32 services error

Generic Host Process for win32 services error on boot up (followed by most
windows functions failing)

This can apparently have many causes (bug in MS security update, old printer
drivers, Sasser etc).

The following cause and fix appears not to be documented.

Eventually tracked down to "Automatic Updates" service by
1. booting in Safe Mode [OK]
2. using MSConfig to boot without any startup services [OK]
One by one, readded services until problem recurred

Little or no documentation regarding this on MS site or elsewhere.
Replacing (?corrupt) wauaueng.dll in system32 with seemingly identical file
from another machine solved problem.

Posted in hope in saves a wasted day for another body!

--
Peter J Fay

"Simply Calenders" Calendar Creation software from Skerryvore Software Ltd

www.SkerryvoreSoftware.com
2 answers Last reply
More about generic host process win32 services error

    Hi Peter,

    Thank you for your kindly posting and the detailed experience sharing on
    how you were successful in resolving your issue. This information has been
    added to Microsoft's database. Your solution will benefit many other
    users, and we really value having you as a Microsoft customer.

    If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
    contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

    Have a nice day!

    Sincerely,
    Tom Che
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    >From: "Peter Fay" <a@b.com>
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    >Subject: Generic Host Process for win32 services error
    >Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 07:23:41 +0000 (UTC)
    >
    >Generic Host Process for win32 services error on boot up (followed by most
    >windows functions failing)
    >
    >This can apparently have many causes (bug in MS security update, old
    printer
    >drivers, Sasser etc).
    >
    >The following cause and fix appears not to be documented.
    >
    >Eventually tracked down to "Automatic Updates" service by
    >1. booting in Safe Mode [OK]
    >2. using MSConfig to boot without any startup services [OK]
    >One by one, readded services until problem recurred
    >
    >Little or no documentation regarding this on MS site or elsewhere.
    >Replacing (?corrupt) wauaueng.dll in system32 with seemingly identical
    file
    >from another machine solved problem.
    >
    >Posted in hope in saves a wasted day for another body!
    >
    >--
    >Peter J Fay
    >
    >"Simply Calenders" Calendar Creation software from Skerryvore Software Ltd
    >
    >www.SkerryvoreSoftware.com

  2. not win32 uptate

Win32 Windows XP