Is it just me or is my voodoo4 card rubbish

G

My voodoo4 is running with my 1.4T.Bird and only getting low scores on 3DMark2001, what do you reckon? if you reckon trash it what card do you think i should get?

Palpatine

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Its trash. Get a Radeon LE if you are on a low bugdet, a radeon 64DDR/GF2 Pro if you are mid range and a GF3 if money is not a problem.

G

Yeah, the Voodoo4 aint exactly the cream of the crop any more. I'm a diehard fan of PowerVR(i have a PVR 1 series card lying around here somewher!) and i would recommend you get a Kyro II. It would work nicely, it scales with cpu speed and since you have a 1.4 i can see it getting some fly scores. I can tell you that with an ancient PIII 600 (100Mhz fsb) you get around 1500 3dmarks on 2001. With faster ram and processor i can see it getting its way up to 3000+.
Now then again if you want to be conservative i suggest the GF2 Pro which now goes for around 100$ on www.pricewatch.com. It's a solid all around preformer.
And as always if you have money to burn (Send me some) get a GF3. Consider the ones from Abit and Elsa, they are great for overclocking. Also a company called OCZ sells its own cards that run above spec (215 mhz Core 515Mhz Ram). Search for the OCZ Titan 3.

It really all depends on your mobo/ram type....

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In order of price:
Radeon LE
GeForce2 GTS
GeForce2 Pro
Radeon 64MB VIVO revision 2 (5ns RAM)
GeForce2 Ultra

The GeForce 3 is still dropping in price faster than the rest and it's competition, the Radeon 8500, it's competitor, still not on the market. Watch for these two to drop in price rapidly by Christmas.

Back to you Tom...