Dell printers and envelopes

I have a problem with printing envelopes on an A920 USB printer. Envelopes
print red with black traces instead of black. Everything else prints the
proper color. I'm running a Dimension 4600, XP Home, Office 2000 Microsoft
Word. In searching for a resolution, I have found that others have had this
problem on other Dell printers and with Word Perfect but the common factors
appear to be Dell printers and computers. I have as yet been unable to find
a fix for this problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer,
reset the font in Word/Tools/Envelopes. The printer drivers on the Dell site
are the same as I have. Perhaps if I knew who makes Dell printers I could go
to their site and find updated drivers. Any Ideas as to what else to do?

Joe
6 answers Last reply
More about dell printers envelopes

    Dell branded printers are just Lexmark printers with the Dell badge glued
    on. Except for the cartridges. Dell has these specially made, so that you
    can not just go out and buy Lexmark cartridges. In any event, the
    cartridges for either printer are incredibly expensive. You can actually
    purchase a brand new printer for the cost of replacing both the black and
    color cartridges. When I refer friends and clients to Dell for their
    computer purchases, I suggest they unselect the free printers offered.

    "Joe" <nobody@example.com> wrote in message
    > I have a problem with printing envelopes on an A920 USB printer. Envelopes
    > print red with black traces instead of black. Everything else prints the
    > proper color. I'm running a Dimension 4600, XP Home, Office 2000 Microsoft
    > Word. In searching for a resolution, I have found that others have had
    this
    > problem on other Dell printers and with Word Perfect but the common
    factors
    > appear to be Dell printers and computers. I have as yet been unable to
    find
    > a fix for this problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer,
    > reset the font in Word/Tools/Envelopes. The printer drivers on the Dell
    site
    > are the same as I have. Perhaps if I knew who makes Dell printers I could
    go
    > to their site and find updated drivers. Any Ideas as to what else to do?
    >
    > Joe

    That is total bollocks. Dell use a variety of manufacturers they do use
    LExmark for their low end printers BUT they also use Samsung and Canon as
    well for their laser printers
    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dell branded printers are just Lexmark printers with the Dell badge glued
    > on. Except for the cartridges. Dell has these specially made, so that you
    > can not just go out and buy Lexmark cartridges. In any event, the
    > cartridges for either printer are incredibly expensive. You can actually
    > purchase a brand new printer for the cost of replacing both the black and
    > color cartridges. When I refer friends and clients to Dell for their
    > computer purchases, I suggest they unselect the free printers offered.
    >
    > "Joe" <nobody@example.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a problem with printing envelopes on an A920 USB printer.
    >> Envelopes
    >> print red with black traces instead of black. Everything else prints the
    >> proper color. I'm running a Dimension 4600, XP Home, Office 2000
    >> Microsoft
    >> Word. In searching for a resolution, I have found that others have had
    > this
    >> problem on other Dell printers and with Word Perfect but the common
    > factors
    >> appear to be Dell printers and computers. I have as yet been unable to
    > find
    >> a fix for this problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer,
    >> reset the font in Word/Tools/Envelopes. The printer drivers on the Dell
    > site
    >> are the same as I have. Perhaps if I knew who makes Dell printers I could
    > go
    >> to their site and find updated drivers. Any Ideas as to what else to do?
    >>
    >> Joe

    No mention of laser printers was made. The printer referred to was a Dell
    A920, a multifunction inkjet type printer. Made by Lexmark. The suggest
    retail price is around $90.00. A pair of cartridges is about 75% of that
    figure.

    "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > That is total bollocks. Dell use a variety of manufacturers they do use
    > LExmark for their low end printers BUT they also use Samsung and Canon as
    > well for their laser printers
    > "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Dell branded printers are just Lexmark printers with the Dell badge
    glued
    > > on. Except for the cartridges. Dell has these specially made, so that
    you
    > > can not just go out and buy Lexmark cartridges. In any event, the
    > > cartridges for either printer are incredibly expensive. You can
    actually
    > > purchase a brand new printer for the cost of replacing both the black
    and
    > > color cartridges. When I refer friends and clients to Dell for their
    > > computer purchases, I suggest they unselect the free printers offered.
    > >
    > > "Joe" <nobody@example.com> wrote in message
    > >> I have a problem with printing envelopes on an A920 USB printer.
    > >> Envelopes
    > >> print red with black traces instead of black. Everything else prints
    the
    > >> proper color. I'm running a Dimension 4600, XP Home, Office 2000
    > >> Microsoft
    > >> Word. In searching for a resolution, I have found that others have had
    > > this
    > >> problem on other Dell printers and with Word Perfect but the common
    > > factors
    > >> appear to be Dell printers and computers. I have as yet been unable to
    > > find
    > >> a fix for this problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the
    printer,
    > >> reset the font in Word/Tools/Envelopes. The printer drivers on the Dell
    > > site
    > >> are the same as I have. Perhaps if I knew who makes Dell printers I
    could
    > > go
    > >> to their site and find updated drivers. Any Ideas as to what else to
    do?

    > >> Joe

    No you said and I quote "Dell branded printers are just Lexmark printers
    with the Dell badge
    glued on."which leads a reader to believe all Dell printers are rebadged
    Lexmarks
    > No mention of laser printers was made. The printer referred to was a Dell
    > A920, a multifunction inkjet type printer. Made by Lexmark. The suggest
    > retail price is around $90.00. A pair of cartridges is about 75% of that
    > figure.
    >
    > "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> That is total bollocks. Dell use a variety of manufacturers they do use
    >> LExmark for their low end printers BUT they also use Samsung and Canon as
    >> well for their laser printers
    >> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Dell branded printers are just Lexmark printers with the Dell badge
    > glued
    >> > on. Except for the cartridges. Dell has these specially made, so that
    > you
    >> > can not just go out and buy Lexmark cartridges. In any event, the
    >> > cartridges for either printer are incredibly expensive. You can
    > actually
    >> > purchase a brand new printer for the cost of replacing both the black
    > and
    >> > color cartridges. When I refer friends and clients to Dell for their
    >> > computer purchases, I suggest they unselect the free printers offered.
    >> >
    >> > "Joe" <nobody@example.com> wrote in message
    > the
    >> > this
    >> > factors
    >> > find
    > printer,
    >> > site
    > could
    >> > go
    > do?

    Joe,
    Have you set the Printer's properties to print in "Grayscale", when printing
    envelopes. I can't remember what it is for Lexmark printers, but for my
    Canon I470D it is something like this.

    Start button> Printers and Faxes> Right click the Lexmark Printer> Printing
    Preferences> You may want to select for:
    1. Color Management= manual, not Automatic
    2. Select Grayscale Printing. this usually causes the black cartridge to be
    used only.

    The problem may be caused that the Lexmark and Dell branded Lexmark printers
    use both the black and 3-color cartridges to print black text. Where 6+
    cartridge printers have a dedicated black cartridge for printing black text.
    You black cartridge may be running low, and the red is coming through
    stronger. You may need to refill or replace the black cartridge.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    "Joe" <nobody@example.com> wrote in message
    I have a problem with printing envelopes on an A920 USB printer. Envelopes
    print red with black traces instead of black. Everything else prints the
    proper color. I'm running a Dimension 4600, XP Home, Office 2000 Microsoft
    Word. In searching for a resolution, I have found that others have had this
    problem on other Dell printers and with Word Perfect but the common factors
    appear to be Dell printers and computers. I have as yet been unable to find
    a fix for this problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer,
    reset the font in Word/Tools/Envelopes. The printer drivers on the Dell site
    are the same as I have. Perhaps if I knew who makes Dell printers I could go
    to their site and find updated drivers. Any Ideas as to what else to do?

    Joe

    Alright . . . yes, I should have specifically noted that I was referring to
    the inkjet printers offered by Dell. Even though the subject of the post
    was a Dell A920, an inkjet multifunction machine. And is made by Lexmark.

    > No you said and I quote "Dell branded printers are just Lexmark printers
    > with the Dell badge
    > glued on."which leads a reader to believe all Dell printers are rebadged
    > Lexmarks
    > "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > No mention of laser printers was made. The printer referred to was a
    Dell
    > > A920, a multifunction inkjet type printer. Made by Lexmark. The
    suggest
    > > retail price is around $90.00. A pair of cartridges is about 75% of
    that
    > > figure.
    > >
    > > "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > >> That is total bollocks. Dell use a variety of manufacturers they do use
    > >> LExmark for their low end printers BUT they also use Samsung and Canon
    as
    > >> well for their laser printers
    > >> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > glued