Status
Not open for further replies.

jusjane

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
I thank you for your answer but nothing works on folders and since I'm
a photographer, this may be the make or break deal for me. When you
have thousands, or hundreds of thousands of pictures, it helps to be able
to glance at a folder in a particular year and choose what you want.

Maybe it'll happen in an SP but I seriously doubt it. Wish I'd sent it in when
I thought of it, but I didn't know they'd leave it out..otherwise, *I'd Have made
Windows 7*

There are lots of ways to organise your folders in Windows 7, including some options that look very similar to XP. What exactly are you trying to do?

jusjane

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
It seems that my response was lost someplace in the ether. XP folders are flat with 4 pictures or icons on the face so that you needn't actually do a search for whatever you sought. A quick glance (while you're actually in the directory) gave you what you wanted.

No such luck with win 7. A squeezed whatever is all you see. Size isn't the answer. A flat folder, face to you, is.

Any ideas? I'd sure love to keep on using this.

Thanks.

jusjane

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

I'm sorry. I have the screen. I'm trying to figure out how to upload to here, but I
think that is impossible. n'est-ce pas?

I'm not sure myself, tbh. Try uploading to an online image site like Imageshack or Picasa and then post the link.

jusjane

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

The win7 folder is on the left and xp is on the right. So sorry I jammed them together.

This is the link.

url]

Well, I see that flickr posts their images differently so I am at a loss there. I'll aim for a different
site tomorrow since it is now nearly 4am. I will be back tomorrow afternoon to follow up.

jusjane

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Finally, I hope.

On the left is the win7 folder and on the right is the XP. Sorry they are smushed together.
As you can see, the win7 is 3D and the XP is not, but it's the preferred folder for viewing.

126960152.8f2Aeyc6.jpg

OK, It finally makes sense to me. I must confess, I don't know of a way to do this, but what I would recommend is that you grab Windows Live essentials, and in particular the Photo Gallery:

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-photo-gallery

It's a brilliant (not to mention free) addition to Windows 7 that allows you to organize your pictures, tag them, and sort them in all kinds of ways. Much better than browsing through the actual folders, and by default it shows you a thumbnail view.

jusjane

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Thank you, Herr_Koos. I have that method in my photo editor. I really liked having it in
windows, too. Such a nice method of cross referencing.

Perhaps MS is actually listening and (as I said earlier) I will have made the NEXT version of windows. ;)

jusjane

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Herr_Koos,

While this does not "fix" windows 7, it might be sufficient for most. Perhaps while they are tinkering with Win 8, someone may decide to make folder versions optional and then *I* will have made windows 8.

You have been a journeyman in your help and I thank you for that. :)

Jusjane

jusjane

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

I agree and I'm very glad I found this forum. I just got a new laptop and
I forgot I have hand shake. Lots of fun on the mouse pad. Will seek out
some aid if I can't figure out what to do. :lol:

EskieShots

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

Hi Justine, I just got windows 7 and havng the exact same problem you have with the folder view. It's driving me nuts and I am just about to go back to XP because of it. Microsoft sure wasn't thinking of Photographers when they came up with that folder view. Did you ever find a way to change the view back to the way it was in XP?

Thanks!

jusjane

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Absolutely did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.