ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I run xp home. just update stopzilla pop-up blocker.
Desktop is blank...no icons no start button. Can only access task manager
using alt/cntl/delete.

Help?
thanks, Ken

Sounds like maybe Explorer is not starting up...

Try going to Task Manager, look to see if you see explorer.exe listed under
the running processes...
If yes, then click it and choose to END PROCESS and continue below, if not,
just continue below...
Click FILE at the top of the window and select NEW TASK (RUN)...
If Windows is installed on the C: drive, enter this:
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe, otherwise chance drive letter to whatever drive
Windows in installed on...

This might work, or it might not.. Won't hurt anything to try.

"ken" <schw9883@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I run xp home. just update stopzilla pop-up blocker.
> Desktop is blank...no icons no start button. Can only access task manager
> using alt/cntl/delete.
>
> Help?
> thanks, Ken

damo

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

With their last update, STOPzilla! accidentally added explorer.exe (a
vital component to Windows) to their black list. What you have to do
is get into task manager, stop the process called Stopzilla.exe and
SZNTSVC.exe and then start the process (File>New) explorer.exe. This
will bring your desktop and taskbar back. It may also relaunch
STOPzilla! and everything will disappear again. Don't worry, just do
the Task Manger thing one more time and you will be all set. Now to go
Add/Remove Programs (Start>Settings>Control Panel) and uninstall
STOPzilla! and reinstall it. Then you should be all set :)