Can't set agp 4X only 2X works :-<

trusnoop

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2001
I have MS-6309 mobo. In SiSoft Sandra, under the item Motherboard Information, it says that

Current data transfer rate: 2X (132MHz)
Max data transfer rate: 4X

MY VID. CARD IS RADEON 64 SDR AND SUPPORTS 4X MODE.

In bios (which is the latest) agp is set to 4X. I tried setting it to auto but still it said that current rate is 2X. So i set it back to 4X. (Although it is not recognized as 4X in sisoft).

Any suggestions on what to do?

My system is very stable and had no problems for a long time. Nothing is overclocked either.
I'm running PIII 1G/133, 256 PC133 cas222 ram 4way.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
NO! AGP 1X is running at 66MHz, AGP 2x is running at 66MHz, AGP 4x is running at 66MHz. They use double-bit transfers (2 bits per cycle) on AGP 2x and quadruple-bit transfers (4 bits per cycle) on AGP 4x. The EFFECT is that AGP 2x is supposed to transfer twice as much DATA as AGP 1x. Some companies LIED and said it was 133MHz. Just like AMD LIED and said they has a 200MHz FSB when really it was only 100MHz, confusing customers into thinking their memory wouldn't work. It's a DDR thing. Intel has a QDR bus for the P4 that is still running at 100MHz, but they call it 400MHz! Same thing with AGP. For example, the good old BX will run an 89MHz AGP clock when set at 133FSB. Many video cards would not take th abuse! Since it's only AGP2x, many people thought that their TNT2 cards would work, since they were AGP 4x running at 2x, but they were WRONG!

Back to you Tom...