Which GeForce 2 card is the best?

deech

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2001
Does the company that makes the card make much difference or are they pretty much the same if they have the GeForce 2 chipset? I saw a Visiontek card for around $100, is that one any good?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Visiontek makes an excellent card. All GeForce 2 cards (except the MX) are pretty much the same qualilty, leaving memory speed as the deciding factor for performance. Most GTS's come with 6ns memory that will clock to around 380MHz (333 stock). REAL Pro's (and there are a lot of fakes) come with 5ns memory that will allow around 450MHz (400 stock). I think the Ultra's come with 4ns memory, which gives a similar boost in memory speed over the Pro.

Back to you Tom...

deech

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2001
heheh oh okay. How much difference do you think a GeForce 2 card with 64M RAM would make over my current Voodoo3 2000 card?

deech

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2001
Do you think it would be worth upgrading at this point. with the prices the way they are now, or should I wait until the prices come down on the GeForce 3's come down?

G

No GeForce2 card is the best. Get a GeForce3, those are the best. ;)

Merrick

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Glide an OpenGL are different things. Glide was popular in the VooDoo days but is almost extinct now. OpenGL has never been popular for games. It is still popular in OTHER 3D apps such as CAD.

Back to you Tom...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
For the GTS brand doesn't matter. They all come with the same chip and memory. The cheapest ones and some of the most expensive ones all come with nVidia's reference design board, so that they are in fact identicle. And since even the cheapest ones are pre-tested, go for the price!

Back to you Tom...