My Desktop Icons are not working

For some reason when I was working today my icons on the desktop suddenly
dissappeared from thin air. Nothing works except for when I press control
alt delete I can use all of those functions. But does anyone know what i can
do to try and fix this problem?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:712ADE87-3523-47AA-A5F5-5645ADA2F0FC@microsoft.com,
What is Going on <What is Going on@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to
say:

> For some reason when I was working today my icons on the desktop
> suddenly dissappeared from thin air. Nothing works except for when I
> press control alt delete I can use all of those functions. But does
> anyone know what i can do to try and fix this problem?

Reboot? Else when you have the task manager open look in the processes tab,
kill any explorer.exe running, then click file, new task, type explorer.exe
into the box, and pound the enter key.

If you get really bored and don't want to see this again:

Explorer as a Separate Process :
http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/tips/sep_explorer.html

Just so you know editing the registry isn't the brightest thing to do though
many of us do it all the time. However, you have been warned. For a better
warning:
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/regedit_warn.html

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes

If the problem has happened recently, you may consider a System Restore
rollback
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP