When closing display lid, How is power cut off to display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorb

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
Hello,

When closing the display lid is there a switch that opens that cuts off electrical power to the display?
Where is it located?
Or is there another sensing method that cuts off electrical power to the display when closing the display lid ?
My laptop is a HP G62-407DX

Thanks,

Solution

If it uses a magnetic sensor, the sensor would almost certainly be on the motherboard. But it is still entirely possible the switch is in the hinge.

That said, I looked at some hinges on ebay and didn't see any that looked like the had an integrated switch, but that doesn't mean anything.

Out of curiosity, why are you asking? Will your display not turn back on? Maybe it flashes on and then off again? Or are you just curious (nothing wrong with that).

--Russel
I think the exact location of the switch varies between laptops. I used to have a 2005 Compaq laptop that had a rubber button that I could press separately to make it think the lid was down, but I don't remember if it always turned off the display - I vaguely remember an option to tell Windows what to do when the lid was closed. Newer laptops might have the sensor/switch hidden inside the hinge.

badam

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
It should be a button like this

c03042586.jpg

@badam Yeah, the button from my Compaq laptop looked similar to that (different color I think), but when I borrowed a Lenovo laptop from work, I couldn't find such a button, leading me to guess that it had something hidden in the hinge to detect when it was closed.

rusabus

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
It entirely depends on the design of the lid and hinge. Some laptops use a magnetic sensor in the palm rest with a magnet in the lid. When the two get close together, the sensor trips. Other laptops use a physical button located somewhere near the hinge.

Of all the designs I have seen, none of them physically interrupt current flow to the display. Instead they signal the embedded power controller on the motherboard that the lid has been closed. Depending on what the firmware is configured to do, the display may or may not be powered off.

If you cannot see a physical switch on your laptop, then you probably have a magnetic sensor or a switch that is integrated with the hinge.

--Russel

jorb

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

No such on off push Button.
Was the image from HP specifying HP G62-407DX

jorb

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

Would sensing switch be possibly located on motherboard?

rusabus

Distinguished
May 19, 2007

If it uses a magnetic sensor, the sensor would almost certainly be on the motherboard. But it is still entirely possible the switch is in the hinge.

That said, I looked at some hinges on ebay and didn't see any that looked like the had an integrated switch, but that doesn't mean anything.

Out of curiosity, why are you asking? Will your display not turn back on? Maybe it flashes on and then off again? Or are you just curious (nothing wrong with that).

--Russel

Solution

jorb

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

OK I am looking at the service manual
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodClassId=-1&contentType=SupportManual&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=4346237#0

And there are no wires coming out of the hinges.
Am I missing something.

jorb

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

Mostly curious, My motherboard crapped out and while I had it apart I did not see any micro switches or wires near the hinges.
So if the motherboard does not fix the black screen issue I was going to investigate the lid switch.
Just trying to cover all the bases.

Thanks for reply,

rusabus

Distinguished
May 19, 2007

If you have a black screen, it might be that the backlight is not powering on. I don't know if your laptop uses a CCFL backlight or LED backlight, but if it is CCFL, it will have an inverter board. That is a common failure point. (Looking on ebay suggests it is probably LED backlit, not CCFL, so probably no inverter board.)

It is possible to replace an LED backlight in some LCD panels, but I wouldn't try. Instead you can replace the entire LCD panel for less than $100. Although there is a good chance that the motherboard will fix it.

--Russel

Status
Not open for further replies.