TOSHIBA LAPTOP WILL NOT START

Howdy all. When I try to start my wifes laptop, it will not even power on.
I know the battery is dead so I use the power supply and it still won't start
up. Before this happened, I was getting an error that took me into the
utility screen with all the start modes on it, but when I tried to start
normal or last known good config, it would loop back to the same page. I
also made a boot disk and was able to boot it up and ran Scan Disk and it
found no errors on the hard drive. It worked for a few days, then it went
back to the same thing again. My virus definitions are up to date and I had
no viruses. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
--
Jim

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If there are no power lights and you are sure the power supply is working
then I thinks it a job for Toshiba support, or at least a Toshiba repair
centre.

Neil

"JimSyndi" <JimSyndi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Howdy all. When I try to start my wifes laptop, it will not even power
> on.
> I know the battery is dead so I use the power supply and it still won't
> start
> up. Before this happened, I was getting an error that took me into the
> utility screen with all the start modes on it, but when I tried to start
> normal or last known good config, it would loop back to the same page. I
> also made a boot disk and was able to boot it up and ran Scan Disk and it
> found no errors on the hard drive. It worked for a few days, then it went
> back to the same thing again. My virus definitions are up to date and I
> had
> no viruses. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> --
> Jim

Thanks Neil. The power lights are coming on and you can hold the power
button on, but nothing comes up on the screen.
--
Jim

"neil" wrote:

> If there are no power lights and you are sure the power supply is working
> then I thinks it a job for Toshiba support, or at least a Toshiba repair
> centre.
>
> Neil
>
> "JimSyndi" <JimSyndi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Howdy all. When I try to start my wifes laptop, it will not even power
> > on.
> > I know the battery is dead so I use the power supply and it still won't
> > start
> > up. Before this happened, I was getting an error that took me into the
> > utility screen with all the start modes on it, but when I tried to start
> > normal or last known good config, it would loop back to the same page. I
> > also made a boot disk and was able to boot it up and ran Scan Disk and it
> > found no errors on the hard drive. It worked for a few days, then it went
> > back to the same thing again. My virus definitions are up to date and I
> > had
> > no viruses. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> > --
> > Jim

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Jim,
If the power is on does the CD drive eject if you press the button.

If there is nothing on the screen then it sounds like a hardware problem not
software, I assume that normally you see the word "Toshiba" on the screen as
the bios loads.

If the drive ejects but there is nothing in the screen I still think you
will need a repair centre.

best of luck
> Thanks Neil. The power lights are coming on and you can hold the power
> button on, but nothing comes up on the screen.
> --
> Jim
>

> "neil" wrote:
>
>> If there are no power lights and you are sure the power supply is working
>> then I thinks it a job for Toshiba support, or at least a Toshiba repair
>> centre.
>>
>> Neil
>>
>> "JimSyndi" <JimSyndi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Howdy all. When I try to start my wifes laptop, it will not even power
>> > on.
>> > I know the battery is dead so I use the power supply and it still won't
>> > start
>> > up. Before this happened, I was getting an error that took me into the
>> > utility screen with all the start modes on it, but when I tried to
>> > start
>> > normal or last known good config, it would loop back to the same page.
>> > also made a boot disk and was able to boot it up and ran Scan Disk and
>> > it
>> > found no errors on the hard drive. It worked for a few days, then it
>> > went
>> > back to the same thing again. My virus definitions are up to date and
>> > had
>> > no viruses. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>> > --
>> > Jim

Neil, the cd will eject but nothing comes up on the screen. I have the
toshiba recovery cd that I will try to boot from later this evening and see
if I can get it to work, if not, I am going to take it to the mom and pop pc
store down the street. I went to Best Buy and the Geek Squad and they wanted
to backup my data to DVD then strip and reinstall XP on it and they want more
than I want to spend on it. They wanted at least $ 300 do do that along with
the diagnostic on it. I think I can get it done cheaper than that. Thanks
for all your help.
--
Jim

"neil" wrote:

> Hi Jim,
> If the power is on does the CD drive eject if you press the button.
>
> If there is nothing on the screen then it sounds like a hardware problem not
> software, I assume that normally you see the word "Toshiba" on the screen as
> the bios loads.
>
> If the drive ejects but there is nothing in the screen I still think you
> will need a repair centre.
>
> best of luck
> Neil
> "JimSyndi" <JimSyndi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Neil. The power lights are coming on and you can hold the power
> > button on, but nothing comes up on the screen.
> > --
> > Jim
> >

> > "neil" wrote:
> >
> >> If there are no power lights and you are sure the power supply is working
> >> then I thinks it a job for Toshiba support, or at least a Toshiba repair
> >> centre.
> >>
> >> Neil
> >>
> >> "JimSyndi" <JimSyndi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

"JimSyndi" <JimSyndi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Howdy all. When I try to start my wifes laptop, it will not even power
> on.
> I know the battery is dead so I use the power supply and it still won't
> start
> up. Before this happened, I was getting an error that took me into the
> utility screen with all the start modes on it, but when I tried to start
> normal or last known good config, it would loop back to the same page. I
> also made a boot disk and was able to boot it up and ran Scan Disk and it
> found no errors on the hard drive. It worked for a few days, then it went
> back to the same thing again. My virus definitions are up to date and I
> had
> no viruses. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> --
> Jim

Take the battery completly out of the machine and leave it out. Then try it
again. A bad battery can prevent the unit from turning on.