TOSHIBA LAPTOP WILL NOT START

a b D Laptop
August 12, 2005 11:33:04 AM

Howdy all. When I try to start my wifes laptop, it will not even power on.
I know the battery is dead so I use the power supply and it still won't start
up. Before this happened, I was getting an error that took me into the
utility screen with all the start modes on it, but when I tried to start
normal or last known good config, it would loop back to the same page. I
also made a boot disk and was able to boot it up and ran Scan Disk and it
found no errors on the hard drive. It worked for a few days, then it went
back to the same thing again. My virus definitions are up to date and I had
no viruses. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
--
Jim

More about : toshiba laptop start

August 12, 2005 7:04:09 PM

If there are no power lights and you are sure the power supply is working
then I thinks it a job for Toshiba support, or at least a Toshiba repair
centre.

Neil

"JimSyndi" <JimSyndi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Howdy all. When I try to start my wifes laptop, it will not even power
> on.
> I know the battery is dead so I use the power supply and it still won't
> start
> up. Before this happened, I was getting an error that took me into the
> utility screen with all the start modes on it, but when I tried to start
> normal or last known good config, it would loop back to the same page. I
> also made a boot disk and was able to boot it up and ran Scan Disk and it
> found no errors on the hard drive. It worked for a few days, then it went
> back to the same thing again. My virus definitions are up to date and I
> had
> no viruses. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> --
> Jim
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 12, 2005 7:04:10 PM

Thanks Neil. The power lights are coming on and you can hold the power
button on, but nothing comes up on the screen.
--
Jim

"neil" wrote:

> If there are no power lights and you are sure the power supply is working
> then I thinks it a job for Toshiba support, or at least a Toshiba repair
> centre.
>
> Neil
>
> "JimSyndi" <JimSyndi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Howdy all. When I try to start my wifes laptop, it will not even power
> > on.
> > I know the battery is dead so I use the power supply and it still won't
> > start
> > up. Before this happened, I was getting an error that took me into the
> > utility screen with all the start modes on it, but when I tried to start
> > normal or last known good config, it would loop back to the same page. I
> > also made a boot disk and was able to boot it up and ran Scan Disk and it
> > found no errors on the hard drive. It worked for a few days, then it went
> > back to the same thing again. My virus definitions are up to date and I
> > had
> > no viruses. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> > --
> > Jim

Related resources
August 13, 2005 12:12:54 AM

Hi Jim,
If the power is on does the CD drive eject if you press the button.

If there is nothing on the screen then it sounds like a hardware problem not
software, I assume that normally you see the word "Toshiba" on the screen as
the bios loads.

If the drive ejects but there is nothing in the screen I still think you
will need a repair centre.

best of luck
> Thanks Neil. The power lights are coming on and you can hold the power
> button on, but nothing comes up on the screen.
> --
> Jim
>

> "neil" wrote:
>
>> If there are no power lights and you are sure the power supply is working
>> then I thinks it a job for Toshiba support, or at least a Toshiba repair
>> centre.
>>
>> Neil
>>
>> "JimSyndi" <JimSyndi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Howdy all. When I try to start my wifes laptop, it will not even power
>> > on.
>> > I know the battery is dead so I use the power supply and it still won't
>> > start
>> > up. Before this happened, I was getting an error that took me into the
>> > utility screen with all the start modes on it, but when I tried to
>> > start
>> > normal or last known good config, it would loop back to the same page.
>> > also made a boot disk and was able to boot it up and ran Scan Disk and
>> > it
>> > found no errors on the hard drive. It worked for a few days, then it
>> > went
>> > back to the same thing again. My virus definitions are up to date and
>> > had
>> > no viruses. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>> > --
>> > Jim

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 13, 2005 12:12:55 AM

Neil, the cd will eject but nothing comes up on the screen. I have the
toshiba recovery cd that I will try to boot from later this evening and see
if I can get it to work, if not, I am going to take it to the mom and pop pc
store down the street. I went to Best Buy and the Geek Squad and they wanted
to backup my data to DVD then strip and reinstall XP on it and they want more
than I want to spend on it. They wanted at least $ 300 do do that along with
the diagnostic on it. I think I can get it done cheaper than that. Thanks
for all your help.
--
Jim

"neil" wrote:

> Hi Jim,
> If the power is on does the CD drive eject if you press the button.
>
> If there is nothing on the screen then it sounds like a hardware problem not
> software, I assume that normally you see the word "Toshiba" on the screen as
> the bios loads.
>
> If the drive ejects but there is nothing in the screen I still think you
> will need a repair centre.
>
> best of luck
> Neil
> "JimSyndi" <JimSyndi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Neil. The power lights are coming on and you can hold the power
> > button on, but nothing comes up on the screen.
> > --
> > Jim
> >

> > "neil" wrote:
> >
> >> If there are no power lights and you are sure the power supply is working
> >> then I thinks it a job for Toshiba support, or at least a Toshiba repair
> >> centre.
> >>
> >> Neil
> >>
> >> "JimSyndi" <JimSyndi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 13, 2005 2:15:47 PM

"JimSyndi" <JimSyndi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Howdy all. When I try to start my wifes laptop, it will not even power
> on.
> I know the battery is dead so I use the power supply and it still won't
> start
> up. Before this happened, I was getting an error that took me into the
> utility screen with all the start modes on it, but when I tried to start
> normal or last known good config, it would loop back to the same page. I
> also made a boot disk and was able to boot it up and ran Scan Disk and it
> found no errors on the hard drive. It worked for a few days, then it went
> back to the same thing again. My virus definitions are up to date and I
> had
> no viruses. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> --
> Jim

Take the battery completly out of the machine and leave it out. Then try it
again. A bad battery can prevent the unit from turning on.
!